Vintage watches seen on instagram

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage watches seen on instagram

On instagram I've come across some posters with very interesting collections of vintage watches, and a great pleasure they are amongst the great swathes of Speedmasters. It dawned on me that rather just letting the ones that really catch my eye sail past, I could do with keeping a record of them. So, here we go, and to start, a bunch all from an account called Mechanical_Time

ps I vow to put a blanket ban on myself from posting any Seikos here at all. I know what the thin end of a wedge looks like
    Last edited by Der Amf; 08-30-2016, 04:08 AM.
    Always eager to hear more

Comment

That's quite an impressive array of well-preserved watches, despite most of them being obscure brands. They all have distinctive dials, though the PRIM is quite austere in comparison.
      Seeing such a nice PRIM is interesting--I'm fascinated by that Czech brand, indeed by any brand from countries not known for watch development/production.
      Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Prim are these days asking thoroughly non-budget prices for their watches, especially the ones with in house movements. I might do a thread on them, but I'll have to poke around for the vintage info first

Comment

I was looking into PRIM earlier this year. I figure I have some examples of domestic mechanical watch production from India, USSR, China, but nothing from Czech.
          The new ones are quite pricey...and they do not seem to be available pre-owned on eBay often.

Comment

Posted by a guy with an interesting collection who saw it for sale at a vintage fair. He sounded unhappy that he hadn't bought it! 14k gold late 50s Seamaster. I'll try not to post too many Omegas, as a good looking Seamaster is scarcely news, but this seemed to be a little unusual, a higher than average density of detail. It is just the gold that is allowing it to still have charm and lightness?

I like the paleness of the gold. Is that typical for 14k? I suppose there must be a lot of different ways of filling up those 4k....

Comment

I hadn't heard of Premira before. Nice to see German on the dial, not English They were in Pforzheim in West Germany

Case is 35mm

Comment

Old Swiss that is rare -

Loyal Prince DE LUXE 25J NOS 7.jpg

Comment

The cream section in the middle appears to be slightly oval. Either the crystal is distorting the edge of it, or it wasn't created very happily

Another photo:

Found another Hislon with a similar but less original approach

Last edited by Der Amf; 11-10-2016, 05:46 AM.

Comment

That first one definitely has an intentional ovoid center portion. The hour markers are all adjusted in length to accommodate the inner shape. Something about it is appealing...but not quite high enough quality to be truly fetching, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                      Something about it is appealing...but not quite high enough quality to be truly fetching, IMO.
                      Yes, that puts it very nicely

Comment

This isn't vintage, but I'm unsure how old it is. From the enthusiastic comments underneath the pictures I know it's rare.

This also appears to be rare, but perhaps you'll correct me on that

Comment

Originally posted by Der Amf View Post
                          This isn't vintage, but I'm unsure how old it is. From the enthusiastic comments underneath the pictures I know it's rare.

This also appears to be rare, but perhaps you'll correct me on that

IIRC, Prescher is an AHCI member of some renown. I would expect that watch dates from this century.

That RGM is a 2016 custom piece. It uses the desirable Peseux Caliber 260 (this one finished by Marvin), which was also used in SteveG's custom RGM:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BA-WxDAvP24/

I was lucky to be able to locate that Nardin competition chronometer movement back around 2002-2003 and point Steve in its direction so he could buy it and have the watch made by RGM.
                          Last edited by Watch Carefully; 11-10-2016, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Another watch that isn't a vintage, quite the opposite. Staudt is a very new Dutch company, with just one basic model so far. Here is one of the variants, which I'm showing because the dial is hand engraved by Benzinger:

The movement is, predictably, a Unitas, but they seem to twiddle with them agreeably. Also an auto version, with a date window stranded miles inshore, a la Stowa.

Comment

Originally posted by Der Amf View Post
                              Another watch that isn't a vintage, quite the opposite. Staudt is a very new Dutch company, with just one basic model so far. Here is one of the variants, which I'm showing because the dial is hand engraved by Benzinger:

The movement is, predictably, a Unitas, but they seem to twiddle with them agreeably. Also an auto version, with a date window stranded miles inshore, a la Stowa.
                              That is a beautiful dial on that Staudt. My Benzinger has a very similar dial albeit with central seconds.

-Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X