New arrival--Zenith Elite Chronograph Classic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New arrival--Zenith Elite Chronograph Classic

This arrived yesterday--blue dial version of the Zenith Elite Chronograph Classic. Released a year ago in silver dial versions, then at SIHH this year the blue dial was released, and that one really appealed to me. I like the classic styling, dual compax, no date, minimal dial writing, beautiful hands. Size is 42mm x 11.8mm, which works nicely for my wrist. The movement is a version of the classic 36000 vph El Primero, without date and without hour register for the chronograph. Despite the pictures, visibility of the hands on the blue dial is good even though from some angles in the photos below, they appear to be hard to read.

Zenith Blue inside box.jpg
    Zenith Blue front 1.jpg
    Zenith Blue case.jpg
    Zenith Blue crystal.jpg
    Zenith Blue cuff.jpg
    Zenith Blue movement 1.jpg
    Zenith Blue side 1.jpg
    Zenith Blue wrist 1.jpg

1. Oh what a shade of blue that is
    2. Under 12mm chronograph veryyyy nice, much applause
    3. Good to see a retro-influenced design still looking lovely and *fresh* - its not about a couple of design cues, but getting the whole tone right
    4. Good to see the sunburst being given full opportunity, to shine, no needless text etc
    5. Well chosen pushers
    6. Looks good on you, bet you're thrilled. I'm feeling pretty thrilled just seeing photos of it!
    Always eager to hear more

Comment

That is wonderful. Congrats!
      It's nice to see Zenith getting away from the over-styled Thierry Nataf era and back to what they have always done well.
      I'm confused, though. I used to own a couple Zeniths (Port Royal V and an Rainbow diver below). My PRV was an 'Elite' model because it was powered by the thin automatic movement they named Elite. I don't understand why they applied the Elite name to an El Primero-powered watch. I believe they still make the Elite movement. Any thoughts? Have they simply gotten away from naming the models according to the movement?

PS. How nice to be able to see that lovely movement. My main complaint about my Zeniths was that the movements were covered.

Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Yes, its now a range - there's a matching non-chrono:

Comment

Wonderful pickup - enjoy!

Similar layout to my 40mm EP.

Zenith 6a.jpg

Zenith 2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by mlcor View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]21089[/ATTACH]
            Originally posted by stoshman View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]21090[/ATTACH]
            Interesting comparing them to see the things the two designs have in common - the emphasis on the even-numbered indices, and the way the numerals for the chrono minute subdial are in amongst the dashes. The design has been heavily stripped down, but still rooted in what preceded it.

Comment

Two words - very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                That is wonderful. Congrats!
                It's nice to see Zenith getting away from the over-styled Thierry Nataf era and back to what they have always done well.
                I'm confused, though. I used to own a couple Zeniths (Port Royal V and an Rainbow diver below). My PRV was an 'Elite' model because it was powered by the thin automatic movement they named Elite. I don't understand why they applied the Elite name to an El Primero-powered watch. I believe they still make the Elite movement. Any thoughts? Have they simply gotten away from naming the models according to the movement?

PS. How nice to be able to see that lovely movement. My main complaint about my Zeniths was that the movements were covered.
                It is confusing, especially since when they originally released the silver dial version last year, they did refer to it as an El Primero. I think what they are trying to do is set up two different families, style-wise--Elite and El Primero--regardless of which movement they are going to use. I have an Elite as well, with an Elite movement. That's the one they were going to eliminate (using ETA instead), then changed their minds and reinstated it. Good decision, as that's an excellent, modern movement. Anyway, I think "Elite" is simply going to signify the more classic, simpler designs, and "El Primero" will be used for the more complicated ones, irrespective of which movement is in the watch.

Comment

Here are some (bad) macro shots. All I have is an iPhone and a $5 macro lens, so consider the source. I do like the unapologetic industrial finish of the movement.

Zenith Blue hour hand macro.jpg

Zenith Blue minute hand macro.jpg

Zenith Blue movement macro 1.jpg

Zenith Blue movement macro 2.jpg

Zenith Blue movement macro 3.jpg

Comment

I still like it a lot today.

I guess that three hander is superfluous now, huh?

Huh?

Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
                      I still like it a lot today.

I guess that three hander is superfluous now, huh?

Huh?

Well, that one has a date, after all...

Comment

Originally posted by mlcor View Post

Well, that one has a date, after all...
                        You know, once you're over 25 dates are overrated.
                        Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Beautiful. When Zenith are good they are superb.
                          DavidM1

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
                            You know, once you're over 25 dates are overrated.
                            Well, then, guess you wouldn't be interested anyway. ;-)

Besides, once you're over 55, dates can be essential as your memory goes.

Comment

Working...
                            X