Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A friend asked me for approval of a potential watch purchase....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A friend asked me for approval of a potential watch purchase....

I truly believe that watches exist purely to make their owner happy. So, if someone thinks they like a watch, and you want to be nice, you have to help them check that their attraction to watch is more than surface deep, without gratuitously undermining them. Right?

So, one of my two friends who take a genuine interest in my watch purchases emailed me with a snapshot of watch they had just seen, and fancied getting. I think she's already got three watches - clearly my influence is rubbing off - and this would be her priciest yet. Now, what gentle questions should I have asked about it:

I went with asking if the subdials were big enough in the flesh, and complimenting the colour and the vertical brushing of the dial. I didn't say, "ah, an undersized subdial, stranded in the middle of the dial, just like the Patek Calatrava!"

Always eager to hear more

"Who the h3ll is Ted Baker, and why isn't he paying you to advertise his name on your wrist?" comes to mind.

I would ask whether the dial and hands of the same color are going to be readable (such as the lovely but illegible nature of the copper EOT C-1):

Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

I would ask how many microns the plating is

Comment

I've never liked that Patek very much, but seeing it next to this watch is suddenly making me very appreciative of its execution. I wonder what the price of the TB is as it leaves the factory in China? Gah, doesn't bear thinking of.

Right, robustness of the coating, and legibility, thank you

She's alway patient when I'm burbling enthusiastically about my latest purchase, so deserves my treating her choices respectfully.

Something I've noticed is that the quality of fashion watches has gone down. Fifteen years ago I got given a Hugo Boss watch which was never to my taste. I still have it, and I still don't like the design very much, but I can tell it is a solid well made watch. I went into a branch of Hugo Boss recently to look at the watches and in comparison they all seemed very flimsy and thrown together. I've a Casio Edifice, one of their most simple models, and the quality of construction seems miles above these kinds of things.

Comment

TB, Henry of London, heaps of British watches made in China. The funny thing is that they don't have mechanical movements (like SeaGull) inside, but Japanese Quartz.
          Peter

Comment

More in line with my own tastes.....another friend, who had seen a couple of the Soviet watches I used to have, had me looking out for something with interesting numerals. The problem with the Soviet watches like Poljot is that they are either gold or chrome plated. Gold he doesn't care for, but chrome plating from then is usually looking very tired.

I was beginning to despair of finding something, but a couple of days ago this came on sale. My friend likes it, so it's now on its way from Singapore

Interesting numerals, and applied too, on a linen dial that's slightly curved at the edge. The case is nicely shaped, with the facets still nice and sharp. Couple of dings, but he's a rough around the edges Australian so that won't fuss him. 35.5mm, from 1972. He's going to put it on the amazing lizard strap that's currently on my Wostok, which he's been borrowing while I've been searching.

Comment

Also, how old are her eyes? That date chapter is hard enough to read on the enormous photo you posted. I would think I might need a loupe to be sure of the date.

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                Also, how old are her eyes?
                Young enough. Tbh, I think its more about the subdials as a geographical feature than the information they [fail to] convey

Comment

Originally posted by Der Amf View Post
                  its more about the subdials as a geographical feature than the information they [fail to] convey
                  That's a tactful way of saying 'style over substance,' isn't it?

Comment

That's a tactful way of saying 'style over substance,' isn't it?
                    I think more chronos are worn for their looks rather than their functionality than not?

Comment

Anyway, look at that nice Seiko I found for my other friend, isn't that nice

Comment

LOL. Yes, it is. There are so many cool Seikos from earlier decades. I would not know which to prefer.
                        I seem to recall that SteveG (a former regular here with an amazing collection) has some vintage chronometer-grade Seikos with astronomical jewel counts (35j?).
                        I've admired them for years.

Comment

LOL. Yes, it is. There are so many cool Seikos from earlier decades. I would not know which to prefer.
                          I seem to recall that SteveG (a former regular here with an amazing collection) has some vintage chronometer-grade Seikos with astronomical jewel counts (35j?).
                          I've admired them for years.
                          The 5722B:

Can't find a picture of the 1963 GS chronometer which used the 5722A, but here's a 1966 Grand Seiko 5722-9991

Comment

Well there's a coincidence, I turn on instagram and the first picture to appear is this:

Screenshot_2016-06-15-18-26-40-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Der Amf View Post
                              The 5722B:
                              Ooh, yes. That's the one. Slick!

Comment

Working...
                              X