Anyone ever had aTourby?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever had aTourby?

I've an eye on something from Tourby Watches in Germany, but I've never come across chatter from people who've actually had one, except for one rather partial review.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 06-07-2016, 02:13 PM. Reason: Trying to remove ambiguity!
    Always eager to hear more

I have not.
    Four or five years ago I was building some PW conversion pieces and found myself examining (on-line) their copies of RGM's Ref. 222 (using vintage Hamilton PW movements). I thought their products looked well done. Though, I must admit, I found their 'guilloche' dials to be somewhat cheap looking in comparison to RGM's, but their price point reflected that difference. I've not seen their newer products. Which are you considering?
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Yeah, I'm not sure comparing them to RGM is very fair. The watch I'm looking at is only £850.

Comment

Yep, I had a skeletonized Chinese version several years ago ....

It ran flawlessly and the engraving was really nice.

"So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

Originally posted by kurt48 View Post
          It ran flawlessly and the engraving was really nice.
          Was that made by Tourby, Kurt? I believe Der Amf is seeking info on watches by the brand called Tourby, as opposed to others' tourbillon watches.

Comment

Oops, I always forget that people use "Tourby" as an abbreviation for Tourbillon. Tourby Watches in Germany. From the very long thread I traipsed through on a German forum, it seems that most of their sales are Pilot watches. But perhaps that says something about that (and many other) forum.

Since we've mentioned skeleton watchers, here's a Tourby skeleton

Last edited by Der Amf; 06-07-2016, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I 'think' it was made by the Beijing Watch Company. It's been over 10 years ....
              "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

Yes, this one's a Chinese tourbillon. Runs well, is fairly accurate (12-15 secs/day), and unbelievable at sub-$1k pricing. The maker uses both the 'Samson' and 'Minorva' names. Great intro into the tourb movement.

Samson 1.jpg

Samson 2.jpg

Samson 5.jpg

T5.jpg
                Attached Files
                Last edited by stoshman; 06-07-2016, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Lol, I'm going to take this as a no Guess they haven't made much impression outside their own country so far

Comment

Looks like the same tourbillon in my WUS LE:

WUS Tourby April 2016 Small.jpg

I've looked at the Tourby website many times, they have a huge offering. I've been tempted to order but have never pulled the trigger. I do recall seeing one positive review on WUS a long time ago--probably the one you're thinking of.

Comment

The chinese have hacked your thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                        The chinese have hacked your thread!
                        Now, now, I did wrench the thread back to its original topic at the end of my post.

Just took another look at the Tourby site--their prices for the hand-carved stuff are close to the level of people like Benziger or RGM--not quite, but close. But their regular pilot, Marine and guilloché options are more reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by mlcor View Post
                          Looks like the same tourbillon in my WUS LE:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20999[/ATTACH]

I've looked at the Tourby website many times, they have a huge offering. I've been tempted to order but have never pulled the trigger. I do recall seeing one positive review on WUS a long time ago--probably the one you're thinking of.
                          The review I was thinking of was on Worn and Wound - the guy had just been given it as a present, so wasn't inclined to be remotely sceptical about it.

Comment

Originally posted by mlcor View Post
                            Now, now, I did wrench the thread back to its original topic at the end of my post.

Just took another look at the Tourby site--their prices for the hand-carved stuff are close to the level of people like Benziger or RGM--not quite, but close. But their regular pilot, Marine and guilloché options are more reasonable.
                            The various versions of the Marine watch all seem to be 1,100 € with lots of extras available. They used to offer endless customisation, but I think they found that to be a bit too profit-consuming. The website makes more sense than it did a couple of years ago.

It's interesting that it's the movement work that really pushes up their prices, but it's the front side of the watches that appeal to me.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X