What place have blue dials?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What place have blue dials?

I've only been submerged in watches for two and a half years, but that's been enough time for some tastes to have changed, and for some shallow enthusiasms to wear themselves out.*

A couple of years ago at a G2g I saw a Chinese watch with a blue dial and was completely smitten by it. So I bought one of them. Then I had a chance to buy another nice little watch with a blue dial, Russian this time. Both are now sold, and I still can't work out if my enthusiasm for blue dials was all about the initial impact. If I had had a watch combining the best features of the two watches, I might still have it, and still be very enthralled with it. After all, a blue sunburst dial is very pretty.

I did learn from one of them that steel hands on a blue sunburst can in some lights be very hard to read. I would like to have a blue dial again some time, but am not sure how I should set my expectations. Are blue dials best suited to being pretty occasional wearers like this?

Or can they happily do a daily wearer job?

03071202[1].jpg
    Always eager to hear more

I love a blue dial and am happy to wear them for all occasions.
    http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

I love a nice blue dial, and cannot recall owning any that are hard to read. At the moment, I belive this is the only one I own (though I may have just made a deal to send it to a new home as part of my downsizing initative).

Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
        I love a nice blue dial, and cannot recall owning any that are hard to read. At the moment, I belive this is the only one I own (though I may have just made a deal to send it to a new home as part of my downsizing initative).

Yes that's crystal clear. I suspect my problem happens because I like my blue dusky and sunburst.

I wonder if this is the root of my instinctive dislike of sunburst dials on divers (which are usually blue) - I'm sensing a discord between the essential readability of a dive watch dial and what I've experienced with blue sunburst dials. My sample isn't exactly large though.

Comment

So, Der Amf's attempt to draw me into my first post here has been successful.

I like blue dials myself, and have several. I think it's more the design of the dial and the hands taken as a whole that dictates legibility. My Ball Trainmaster Eternity is always legible. Same with my WUS tourbillon. My new Patek is slightly less legible, but still not a problem even for my aging eyes, and the slight decrease in legibility is due more to the small size of the hands than the contrast.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Comment

Welcome to the site, mlcor!
            That Patek is a beauty...just a gorgeous design, very well executed.

What's the story on the Chinese tourbillon? That was a WUS project?

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
              Welcome to the site, mlcor!
              That Patek is a beauty...just a gorgeous design, very well executed.

What's the story on the Chinese tourbillon? That was a WUS project?
              Thanks, WC. Yes, it was the 2013 or 2014 (can't remember) WUS Chinese Forum project. By far the most expensive project watch they've ever done, and it came out extremely well, much better than my poor picture would lead you to believe. I think around 80 or so were made.

If anyone's interested, I have a photo review of the Patek, which is a new arrival, in the high end forum at WUS. Looking forward to the conversations here!

Comment

Welcome mlcor, that PP (and the rest of your collection) are more than welcome here.
                Just a few of my blue dials:

WP_20160219_07_57_20_Pro.jpg
                WP_20150904_15_03_18_Pro.jpg
                WP_20150106_12_55_00_Pro.jpg
                WP_20150428_10_58_35_Pro 2.jpg
                Gorner.jpg
                WP_20150901_17_19_51_Pro.jpg
                WP_20150615_17_07_39_Rich.jpg
                WP_20140629_13_50_57_Pro20140629135214.jpg
                http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Some more Blue ....

Yes, welcome ! Beautiful Watch.

My favorite Patek (which I should never have sold). Maybe Paul
                  Duggan will give it back ).

Kurt

Some Blue Dials ...

[URL=http://s82.photobucket.com/user/kurt48/media/Toneau%20Blue%20Perp/DSC_0311-1.jpg.html]

Last edited by kurt48; 03-16-2016, 03:54 PM.
                  "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

Thanks, guys. Scott, I love the dial on the fifth one down (that says Gorner on it).

Comment

I've had several, mostly Breitling Chronomats, but this one was my favorite:

SMP 5.jpg

Comment

I'm am not exactly a conformist when it comes to dial colors, or wearing colors in general. Personally I love blue dials and wear them quite frequently. I'll update with photos once I'm back on my computer, but several of my favorite watches have blue dials.

The Orion Solar is one of my faveorite watches and that is almost entirely based on the dial color. If I didn't already have that watch, I would be seriously tempted by the Midnight Blue Orion offered by Timeless.

The Rolex DJII blue dial is simply beautiful.

The third blue dial is not a traditional blue and only shows its bluer tones under certain light. That would be the Nomos Ahoi Atlantik.

In the same vein of the Atlantik, the Seiko Cocktail Time also shows a silvery blue streak on occasion.

The JeanRichard has one of the coolest dials I've ever seen.

The blue-dialed Ball First Mile has a great blue dial and is a keeper for sentimental reasons. My Ball Fireman Racer also has some strong blue accents.

I've had several other blue dialed watches over the years and will probably own a few more.

Some of the gone but not forgotten.

Habring

Benarus Moray

Helson

H2O Kalmar

Mission Antarctica

Muhle Seebataillon

Last edited by FuzzyB; 03-17-2016, 11:25 AM.
                        -Brian

Comment

Thank you for reminding me of Nomos. On the unbelievably gorgeous blaugold even the rhodium hands could disappear.

Comment

Those are some of the rarest blue dials Rado ever made.
                            Especially the Lapis NCC 101 and the Space Flight!
                            That's quite a notable collection of blues.

Comment

The Rolex blue dial is simply marvelous.
                              Here is an Alpha Diver (Rolex copy) I bought for 120 $ on eBay, stainless steel, sapphire glass, and a nice blue dial . It came from Slovakia, but I suspect it is chinese, the movement is a Miyota and it runs very nicely.
                              Alpha001.jpg
                              Peter

Comment

Working...
                              X