Gray dial appreciation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gray dial appreciation?

Der Amf's thread about his gray dialed CW and a recent acquisition of my own got me to thinking. Are gray dials under-appreciated?

To be honest, I've never sought out a gray dial and rarely give them a second thought. I've been pleasantly pleased when a black dial turns out to be a deep charcoal, but I don't know that I've ever wished for a gray dialed watch. And yet I find that I really am attracted to them.

I'm actually wearing the Max Bill with anthracite dial today and it is an incredibly dynamic dial.

image.jpg

I've been sorely tempted by the gray dialed Aegir CD-1. The other variations are nice, but the gray outshines them, imo.

image.jpg

I can't think of too many watches that are offered with gray dials, and I am starting to wonder why. Nomos had a series of 20 different gray dials to celebrate places in Germany and they currently offer a gray-dialed Orion in celebration of the fall of the Berlin Wall.

What are your thoughts on gray dials? Dull or dynamic?
    -Brian

I don't think I've had many...a couple Rados come to mind, though:

The Marstron on the left has a light grey dial (also shown 3rd from left beneath):

This Accustar's dial was rather a plastic-y octopus-like medium-grey:

Ultimately, I chose to sell those along.
    I'll have to probe my memory to discover if I owned any others. I have no objection to them, but have found that sometimes they are difficult to read in low light.
    B
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

I like the dial pattern on that Accustar. It's odd but interesting.

When I tried to think about watches with gray dials, I drew a blank on modern offerings. I have Hank's sparkly gray Omega, too, which has been sitting in a box waiting for a crown repair.
      -Brian

Comment

I was very tempted by this Zenith, but the price the dealer was asking seemed too much:

Always eager to hear more

Comment

This one works for me ...

I owned the silver dial ...

Kurt
          "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

Not gray but silver, usually with guillouche.

D&S Aerodyne Date 1.jpg

F. Constant Tonn 1a.jpg

GP 3.jpg

Comment

Half grey

Two tone grey

Grey octopus

Neither black nor brown, Pantone Corporation would call it Warm Grey 11

24752599315_8699666984_o by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
              Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

When I was lazily browsing a window display, this watch caught my eye very violently. In the flesh it must be exactly the shade of grey that really does it for me

Photo from this review

Comment

Originally posted by Der Amf View Post
                  When I was lazily browsing a window display, this watch caught my eye very violently. In the flesh it must be exactly the shade of grey that really does it for me

Photo from this review
                  Yep, that one looks just right. Were I to envision the proper way to incorporate a completely grey dial into a classy design, this could be the template.
                  Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

The first gray dial I got was this Seiko from 1971. I've never satisfactorily photographed the dial (a theme, I suspect, common to most mid grey dials - how to portray it's glimmering allure when without sultry depths or breezy lightness of tone?)

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                      Yep, that one looks just right. Were I to envision the proper way to incorporate a completely grey dial into a classy design, this could be the template.
                      This Vacheron is the one that really does it for me. That Arnold & Son is gorgeous though.

image.jpg

Better picture (maybe)

image.jpg
                      -Brian

Comment

Very nice. I also like this ALS:

Lange.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by kurt48 View Post

I owned the silver dial ...

Kurt
                          Was that the 5101? It was an article on the 5101 that got me appreciating PP. before that it was just another unknown brand to me.

Comment

No, the above watch is the Gold Manta Ray 10 Days 5100. Here's a
                            picture of the 5101.

"So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

They're both nice though. 10 days... That's serious horology.

Comment

Working...
                              X