I've been Moderated.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been Moderated.

A TZ moderator sent me a nice note to the effect that she "cannot have you marketing yourself on TZ with watermarks of photos directing people to your website and having your website in your profile." Funny that--I have no financial/promotional intentions of that sort when it comes to my journalism. I write the odd article and hope to expand the community's knowledge and enthusiasm for watches by so doing. Many of my articles/reviews, etc. are done at the request of manufacturers and I earn little to nothing for most of them. My watermark is intended merely to keep eBay sellers from easily stealing my images, which has happened probably more frequently than I have posted on TZ's public forum.

Dig this bit of wisdom: "I have about a dozen watch journalists and freelance writers who visit TZ regularly. None of them are allowed to republish their articles, link to their articles, market themselves, etc."

If it weren't for the fact that I am addicted to learning and sharing information, and for a large number of excellent contributors, I would have departed that repressive scene ages ago. Thank you EOT, for remaining sensible and not becoming a commercial entity that feels threatened by every two-bit web site with a watch for sale or a writer on its staff.

I keep hoping that TZ, as with Paypal, will become something once again that doesn't constantly p!ss me off. It was a swell place, last century. For now, I may end up simply using it as a sales corner, despite that forum's grave mismanagement. Maybe they'll just up and ban me like they did to Ernie.

TZ - moderation in all things, except Moderation.
    POed in PA
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 09-05-2012, 01:39 PM.
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

My last attempt to post there (with full disclosure of my association here) ended with TZ sycophants berating me (I recall the word 'abortion' was even used) for it...
    I 'use' their sales forum from time to time, but other than that am done.

Comment

"Abortion"?!?!?
      Paranoia, distrust, iron fists, myopia...just the sort of environment for an open, sharing discourse.

Oh, I forgot 'hypocrisy'...If I paid up and became a sponsor, how their attitude would change.

I wonder if Richard Paige ever visits or if he simply laughed all the way to the bank.

Comment

Yeah, more power to him.
        The odd thing is those posts were not deleted, and the invective was thick.

Comment

I have heard from others that Jessica's bedside manner

leaves much to be desired.
          Have not had any first hand experiences so I suppose I am out of line-but... i see smoke

Comment

Actually we want moderation in moderation as well, not some anal retentive, obsessive compulsive, paranoid schizo, rule driven, t crossing i dotting *%#@*! such as they have at TZ. (Meanness intentional for humor value only!) Really instead of moderating a forum where adults are present perhaps a job writing tax regulations. With the droll wit and sensitivity that she clearly possesses she would be right at home.

Comment

I just use the Sales Corner. Don't even look at the rest of it.
              sigpic

Comment

Disclaimer, there are a lot of nice people and even some nice mods at TZ. There's a lot of the content of excellent.

Otherwise, TZ has always been a reflection of it's top management (and slightly less so, in general, the spirit of the people who hang there). Back in the day it was a free wheeling, somewhat Darwinian place when Richard Page was waving the baton. When Disher took over it become hidebound, arbitrarily dogmatic as well as meaner. There's always been a huge component of competition and "my watch is better than your piece of crap" there (Walk Odets did a fine job of feeding that as well). Add in some bizarrely paranoid rules and angry mods and well, you have TZ.

Like I said, it's got some great people and some wonderful content but much of it, maybe most, is mostly what it has always been, a rough, somewhat mean spirited contest amongst alpha males (and those who want to be alpha males).

Stan Sirody has always been a great guy. James Dowling, same thing. I'm leaving out some of the vintage guys. But like some of you, I don't hang out other than to use Sales Corner. It's just not my thing and obviously, for a lot of people, it is their thing. More power to them. I'm grateful for what we have here.

Comment

It's a very 'overwhelming' forum where you get a feeling of 'dwarfism'. It's very 'elite', 'unfathomable' by a puny watch enthusiast like me. I get a feeling that I can not show my pics if my watch is not worth $1,000 up
                  Tempus fugit...

Comment

For an internet forum, I find their heavy-handed dictatorial moderation very off-putting. I like browsing the sales board and reading Jorge's posts, but that is the limit of my involvement with TZ.

If they had some decent moderation, it could be a wonderful forum. I wonder if they will soon ban all watermarked photos.
                    -Brian

Comment

Yep ..............

That same 'moderator' asked me to stop posting Citizens, and implied
                      that 'someone said' I might be a shill or a dealer. Anybody that has
                      followed my posts knows that I've been showing Citizens on many forums
                      for years. My collection was actually featured in a prominent watch magazine
                      several years ago. The only citizens I have ever sold have been my
                      Campanolas.

When I fell out of love with Campanola, I honestly stated my reasons
                      why, so I think I've been pretty objective regarding the brand. I believe
                      the word 'Fanboy' was then used in my regard, which I still don't understand
                      and took issue with.

I think I ruffled the feathers of some of the die-hard Swiss collectors
                      (which I am too) with the value and quality that Citizen represents.

I too have been 'Moderated'

:@)

Kurt
                      "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

I'll tell you what Kurt. I much prefer looking at all your cool Citizens rather than the ongoing contest of who can pee away the most money on some 50k watch that does not even come with a garage.

Originally posted by kurt48 View Post
                        That same 'moderator' asked me to stop posting Citizens, and implied
                        that 'someone said' I might be a shill or a dealer. Anybody that has
                        followed my posts knows that I've been showing Citizens on many forums
                        for years. My collection was actually featured in a prominent watch magazine
                        several years ago. The only citizens I have ever sold have been my
                        Campanolas.

When I fell out of love with Campanola, I honestly stated my reasons
                        why, so I think I've been pretty objective regarding the brand. I believe
                        the word 'Fanboy' was then used in my regard, which I still don't understand
                        and took issue with.

I think I ruffled the feathers of some of the die-hard Swiss collectors
                        (which I am too) with the value and quality that Citizen represents.

I too have been 'Moderated'

:@)

Kurt

Comment

I couldn't agree more. There are some knowledgeable and helpful people over there but, gee, it's easy to forget in amongst all the weird stuff. I'm a very mild mannered chap but I've had quite a few posts removed from TZ and was even banned for a while some years ago. I really discovered EOT about then and what a wonderful thing it is.

I think the last post I had removed over there was in a thread someone had started on dictators and their watches. A picture of Mubarek wearing a Hublot was a step too far... how could I resist?

The post Richard Paige TZ only makes sense if you think of it as promotional vehicle for sponsors masquerading as a forum.
                          DavidM1

Comment

Thanks, gents. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is routinely disappointed by what goes on over there.
                            Had it not provided such a great introduction to the on-line world of collecting, at a time I was first exploring the Web and becoming obsessed with watches, I might not be as wistful about its decline into a bastion of the letter of the law.

Comment

And one more "back in the day", the flame wars in old days were at least interesting. And they did have a lot of fire in them. TZ has always been, first and foremost, a money making vehicle for the owners.

Comment

Working...
                              X