No announcement yet.

"Best Watch City in America" thread...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Best Watch City in America" thread...

on TZ:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...80908&rid=1150

Funny how "no specific criteria" were called for, but nearly everyone is thinking of "shopping" rather than actual creation of watches.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Interesting study on what is most important to many watch enthusiasts. While it is certainly a fun experience to go watch shopping, the best watch city in my mind follows your way of thinking--the historical significance.

That said, Lancaster certainly ranks rather high. I'd put Elgin, IL and Waltham, MA up in the top tier. Pre-dating those cities would be Philadelphia and Boston.

Was NYC ever a real hub for watchmaking activity in the US? Offhand, I can't think of any watches I've seen that originated there and it seems odd to me that NYC wouldn't have supported a watchmaking community.
    -Brian

Comment

Nyc...

There were NJ- and NY-based makers during the cottage industry age...by the time the Industrial Revolution was underway and watchmaking became mechanized, that area had dropped out of significance.

The only real Industry connection I can recall in NY was the Bulova factory complex on Long Island. It wasn't as important (to American Holrology) as the Waltham-Hamilton-ILlinois juggernauts, though. Bulova did lots of assembly of Swiss components there and I believe they produced far fewer grades of US-designed-and-built movements than those other brands.

Comment

Past & Present

I think the 'spirit' of the original posters question was what is the best
        Watch City today. Elgin, Waltham, and Hamilton (as well as E.Howard)
        are all gone, and names from the past.

If you wanted to immerse yourself in the greatest amount and variety of Watches available today, it would be hard to beat NYC or Las Vegas.

Great weekends !

Kurt
        "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

Based on all I have heard about watch shopping in Las Vegas, I am curious to check it out. NYC is always a fun place to stroll through watch shops.
          -Brian

Comment

I'll be in Vegas in a couple of weeks and while it will be a whirlwind tour and watch shop is not the prime purpose I will be going to a couple of watch places.
            Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Well, there ARE...

... a FEW more buyers than makers and it is quite understandable to remark from one's own perspective, don'cha know.

My favorite place: CyberTown

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                There were NJ- and NY-based makers during the cottage industry age...by the time the Industrial Revolution was underway and watchmaking became mechanized, that area had dropped out of significance.

The only real Industry connection I can recall in NY was the Bulova factory complex on Long Island. It wasn't as important (to American Holrology) as the Waltham-Hamilton-ILlinois juggernauts, though. Bulova did lots of assembly of Swiss components there and I believe they produced far fewer grades of US-designed-and-built movements than those other brands.
                The old Bulova plant in Sag Harbor, NY, brought an influx of craftsmen to the area, with the result that a depressed are greatly improved. The factory is in pretty poor condition, though I think it will finally be re-built as condos.

“Tis with our judgements as our watches:
                None go just alike, yet each believes his own.”
                Alexander Pope (1688 - 1744)

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped.
                - Groucho Marx

Comment

Just disappointed...

...that a thread topic with so much promise turned out to be just about as boring as it possibly could have.

New York Rocks. Vegas is Awesome.
                  Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Working...
                  X