Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else watch the balance wheel spin?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else watch the balance wheel spin?

Those of you with clear backs on your favorite watch?

I do. It's soothing. I used to watch my grandfather's Elgin pocket watch like that; when I was out of sorts I'd take the back off and watch it. It got stolen. But my Reverso 976 can be flipped over without even taking it off. It's my favorite feature.

Yup, sure do. I have to take my watch off though.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

On bi-metallic screw balance with blue steel hairspring, yes. Specially on old pocketwatches with gold screws on the balance wheel rim as you are spotting a single gold screw stopping momentarily at one point, that is if the amplitude is constant. Glucydur balances are somewhat boring since you will only notice the hairspring contracting and expanding. The synchronized motion of the trio of the balance wheel-pallet fork-escape wheel has a soothing effect whenever you are stressed. It will put you back in "synch". Try it.

Note: Don't watch a dirty movement, it will throw you into confusion
      Tempus fugit...

Comment

yes, yes and yes

This sounds childlike but so be it, I love the little machines. That's the core of my fascination of a love for mechanical watches.

When I get the chance I can sit and stare at RGM tourbillon for a rather long time for those very reasons.

And a darn fine reason to own a Reverso. Just to be able to leave the movement side and enjoy another part of the watch.

Comment

It's Complicated

Originally posted by Cat91 View Post
          Those of you with clear backs on your favorite watch?

I do. It's soothing. I used to watch my grandfather's Elgin pocket watch like that; when I was out of sorts I'd take the back off and watch it. It got stolen. But my Reverso 976 can be flipped over without even taking it off. It's my favorite feature.
          Last week, we determined that you're a handwound gal and I'm a quartz guy. But I do have a very nice pocketwatch and a Swatch automatic skeleton. I rarely look at their innards. Of course, since I hang out here, I am frequently fascinated (I'm also fascinated by the word 'fascinated' because I like etymology) by watch movements. What really tickles me are actions that only happen once. My favorite watch, a quartz, has a retrograde day of the week display. Six days a week at about 1 AM the pointer advances one day. I think this is coolness. On Saturday night, or to be more precise, Sunday morning, the pointer glissades back over to Sunday. I love this.

Okay, it's not a balance wheel, but it entertains me. I even get a little drama as I wait for the magic moment of "snapback," as the watch company guys call it. (I also have another watch with a similar movement where the pointer glissades at 1 AM on Monday morning.)

I also guiltily admit enjoyment at midnight watching the Big Date change. My pre-game show, so to speak.

Most people check the time. I look at my watch. sigpic

Comment

That's an interesting shade of green, Alan. It's not flashy per se, but it is colorful, in a quasi-Hublot way. I like it.

Comment

Flash Isn't Me

Originally posted by Cat91 View Post
              That's an interesting shade of green, Alan. It's not flashy per se, but it is colorful, in a quasi-Hublot way. I like it.
              But it is a big sucker.
              Most people check the time. I look at my watch. sigpic

Comment

Either that or I watch the rotor spin. Here's a hand-winder with a balance I would not mind watching frequently...

Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Spinnin' wheel...

Most of the time it's pressed to my wrist, but I do like to open up a pocket watch occasionally.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VlAlcslMNnw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah, but I find it dangerouslly hypnotic.
                    John

Comment

Now that would be a lovely watch to watch! I could also envision spending hours looking at the RGM Tourbillon. A Breguet La Tradition would be nice to look at, too. Or a Glashutte Original Panoinverse.

I could spend a lot of time looking at just about any moving part on my watch. There is something mesmerizing about the meshing of such intricate gears and the play of the pallet fork on the escapement.
                      -Brian

Comment

Working...
                      X