The wrong approach, IMO...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The wrong approach, IMO...

OK, I'm just going to blurt it right out: could G-P possibly have chosen less appropriate case & hands for this amazing movement?

I have to believe that G-P would avoid this sort of misstep, except under pressure from a give-the-people-what-they-want Marketing department.
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 05-02-2012, 09:05 AM.
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

That looks homemade. By someone drunk. Without his reading glasses.

I would much rather have one of your Franken-Brads that that, without even taking into account the price. Yours look so much more...skillfully made...attractive... I'm at a loss.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

I see that and think of a group of curmudgeonly old men debating on how to make things young and hip. They throw a couple of terms around--sporty case, looks expensive, transparent parts because everyone knows that transparent stuff is cool--and then find individual parts to match each term. Grab the parts from the bin, slap them together, and this is what you get.
      -Brian

Comment

"Sporty case" is the nicest thing I could say about that design. I've never been a fan of its ilk (Royal Oak, Patek Nautilus...) and the G-P Laureato is my least favorite of an ungainly bunch.

Comment

Funny you mention Royal Oak

because I was thinking that what GP has done here is the same that AP always does with the Oak. Anything goes inside the standard RO case design.
          As to this one, I have to disagree with the mindset that this is a train wreck or even a bucket of spare parts. I like the case, I like the bridges. I don't like the hands and a few other elements but I think it's a way to make sporty a very high tech(or complicated) movement. Sporty watches sell. At the price I wouldn't buy it-there are many other pieces I'd crave. Still, the world is full of guys like Dennis Hoff.

Comment

I'm with Pat... even though I don't have a clue who Dennis Hoff is, nor will I even look

Comment

Lol, you don't want to

he's no shinning star but he is watch collector and a GP fan.

Comment

Yep, hideous ..............

I remember being in Cellini's at the Waldorf when Joel, their sales
                manager at the time, was there and had the Opera One with him for
                the first time.

That was a stunner. I don't know what this thing is.

:@)

Kurt
                "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

And if that's not bad enough ..............

check out these babies !

Kurt

"So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

That's really weird....

I can see putting the three bridge tourby in a Laureato case, doing the whole thing in titanium (just because you can) with the sapphire bridges (again, because you can)...
                    But to then ruin it with those hands?

I dunno, I'd get my pipe wrench and take the crystal off, pop those hands off and put on something from one of my pocketwatches, and have a better looking end result.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yiii!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TylerEOT View Post
                        I'd get my pipe wrench and take the crystal off...
                        Just like the old days. Of course, bezels were larger then...

Comment

That is just...wrong.

Miao, Cat

Comment

Royal Oak part of 'that ilk'?

I'm a part, too.

“Tis with our judgements as our watches:
                            None go just alike, yet each believes his own.”
                            Alexander Pope (1688 - 1744)

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped.
                            - Groucho Marx

Comment

I don't mind the case, though I agree with you that it's my least favorite in GP's current stable. The hands here are, to me,the biggest sin. The problem is, if they used a more delicately styled hand set then the bold case could've overpowered them. I say, skeletonize & blue the hands that are on there now. That way the dimension & outline of the hands would still be masculine, but the darker color and lack of surface area wouldn't draw attention away from dial/movement/bridges.

Comment

Working...
                              X