Can some of you Mr. Picky's pick at

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep ...

I love looking at dress watches, but rarely have a need to wear one.

It's kind of like our living room ...it was by far the most expensive room in the house to furnish, yet we rarely go in there.

Seems dumb.
    _____

You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill.

Little Feat

_____

dean.

Comment

Well, let's see. One big difference is

the Anniversary piece from 2003-2004 was 40.5 mm while the subsequent one is 45mm (but wears smaller), different nomenclature front and back, different bezel markings, can't remember whether the movement changed or not, different straps, and different packaging. And a big price drop, too.

Comment

Yeah, but...

it's the PSM! Ain't that your Grail of Grails?

That's why I'm spending all my money on my kitchen :P

-Nate

Comment

So...

did the existence of the larger, unlimited edition drive the aftermarket prices of the smaller, limited-edition one down? If so, down below what the unlimited one cost?

(I'm curious not only for this watch but to see if there are market-trend implications regarding the new JLC replacement to the Master Reveil.)

-Nate

Comment

Yeah, but ...

Grails are for dreams. Like my grail turntable, cartridge, tonearm, amp, preamp, speakers, records, car, fly rod, fly reel, summer home, vacations, etc.

Too many grails and only one small pile of funds.
            _____

You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill.

Little Feat

_____

dean.

Comment

In a word, yes. The issue of the

larger "Sport" models definitely drove down the price of the earlier and smaller "Anniversary" models. I can best explain the current relationship using some ballpark numbers.

The List Price of the Anniversary model was in the range $14,500 to $15,500 (source: armstrongrockwell.com). Remember, this was 2003-2004 time frame and they were then discontinued. They initially sold regularly near List. Once the newer larger Sport models were announced, the Anniversary seemed to decline to the range of about $12,500 with bracelet (Source: Whichwatch's highly questionable memory). The non-limited Sport models are readily available, and the last two Anniversary pieces I saw offered (July and May 2009) were around $11,000 (Sources: TZ Showcase).

List on the newer larger Sport pieces is $12,800 on strap and $15,300 on bracelet (Source: armstrongrockwell.com). Market prices for the Sport model on strap are around $7250 +/- (Source: TZ Showcase). I haven't seen any on bracelet.

So we don't really know cause and effect, but it appears the Sport models may have caused market price of the the Anniversary pieces to decline in value to a level below the List of the Sport model.

By the way, judging by the Boards, none of these have been especially easy resales.

Clear? I'd give Dean's left nut to be able to explain it better.

Comment

Yeah yah but but...

in a hypothetical like this, where the pile of funds is a non-issue, you'd still choose the BP over the PSM? That's what surprises me.

-Nate

Comment

Got it. Or, you know, not. Or something.

Comment

Gotcha' ...

In a hypothetical its the PSM in a heartbeat.
                    _____

Little Feat

_____

dean.

Comment

To quote Farmer Hoggit...

that'll do, pig, that'll do.

Yow!!! great watch, Dick, great choice!

Comment

I 'spect this deal's already done.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...