Watch sales down 20%

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch sales down 20%

I was reading today that kids today don't understand the purpose of watches. Here is a copy of the article.

http://www.wwsb.com/Global/story.asp?S=9133093
    SARASOTA COUNTY - It's another sign of the times. Wrist watches may become a thing of the past.

For 16-year-old Chad Britton, he says he just doesn't have time for a watch. A wrist watch would just get in his way. "It's kind of like clankie on your wrist." Chad thinks time is running out for watches, especially since he has another way of checking the clock. "My phone. I always have it on me, so I just look at that if I need to know the time."

Chad isn't the only watchless person out there. Gregory Williams with the local Seiko the Company Store, says cell phones are ticking away the customers. "The cell phones...yeah, it can get in the way of watches because you have people young and old that come in and say 'well I don't need a watch because I have my cell phone'."

Is time running out for watches? Since 2005, there has been a 20% drop in the number of watches sold.

But Williams says it's new products that will make watches timeless again. "When it goes to sleep I can actually pick it up, give it a shake, and it will go to the correct time that is current." Watches that appeal to young technology-savvy customers. "Well, we have new watches that do more than just tell you the time now."

But for Chad, he says his clock is set on his phone and a watch just isn't for him. "Everybody's got their phone on them, so nobody needs watches anymore."

While watch buying may be down, the watch industry is still doing well. Recent articles show an improvement in the sale of mid-priced to high-end watches. It is the low-priced watches that aren't selling as well.

To each his own!

I like your by line! "A man with one watch knows what time it is, a man with two is never sure."

To me a cell phone definitely has the time and most often the correct time. However, it reminds me of a pocket watch that one has to search, grapple, pull out of pocket, fumble with to find in order to check the time. The wristwatch is a quick flip of the wrist, perhaps pull up a sleeve and there it is. Not to mention the aesthetic quality of gazing at a tremendous dial of yesteryear or new age technology.

Another aspect, ever take your cell phone swimming, diving, rock climbing, car racing, fly fishing, skiing(I wear mine on an oversized Nato strap outside my coat). Cell phone and boats are not great partners either, the water seems to be magnetized.

How about when your on a ladder painting your house!

Anyway I still think they are here to stay atleast a little bit longer.
    Living in a Van down by the river

Comment

Preach it, Brother!

That's a great practical point.
      The other part of the issue is I don't think Gen X and Y aren't quite as concerned with promptness and timing as their parents. They really don't care what time it is, and couldn't tell you who wrote the song, either.
      sigpic

Comment

Those guys in Chicago must wear ....

...funky watches.

25 or 6 to 4 ...what the hell time is that ?
        _____

You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill.

Little Feat

_____

dean.

Comment

3:35am or 3:36am

The song is about a musician songwriter awake at night. early in the morning trying to finish a song. The writer is saying its 25-26 minutes to 4am.

Comment

Excellent. Thanks for that !
            _____

You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill.

Little Feat

_____

dean.

Comment

My daughter is 24 and my son is 21. They both like to wear nice watches. He's got an O7 G2 PVD and she has a Breitling Colt.
              There's hope yet.
              Though maybe one day they'll be gainfully employed..

The title of Bob and Ray's book says it all: Call When You Get Work.

“Tis with our judgements as our watches:
              None go just alike, yet each believes his own.”
              Alexander Pope (1688 - 1744)

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped.
              - Groucho Marx

Comment

Thanks, I was wondering as well. Interesting that we all caught Tyler's reference. Says something about our age I guess. Been listening to the first 3 Chicago records of late, terrific band. (Lack of personal pronoun known as Bushspeak, to be replaced by what remains to be determined.)

Comment

ah, now I get it!

Comment

Wear them funky watches, white boy.

Oh, sorry. Forgot I wasn't in Chicago anymore.

Comment

Wouldn't it be 3:34 or 3:35?
                      If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.
                      - Mario Andretti

Comment

Only if you're not wearing two watches.
                        Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

oops your right! but you got my drift

Comment

Bad new for Fossil, Diesel and other brands of that ilk.

I love the word ilk.

Comment

More to my taste - Chambers Brothers Showing my years with this choice.

Time Has Come Today

(sound quality not what it should be on this file - find the CD)
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X