Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS1858 Diastar 1 Black/Gold Dial

Hi,

Here are some more pics of the new black/gold dial Diastar 1 arrival. Its a real beauty, it seems to have spent most of its life in a safe.

Case back number is 166253

Here are the sellers words:
    "Hello and thank you for looking at the super cool 35mm retro Rado Diastar 1 automatic wristwatch that we have found in grandpapa's safe.
    It comes on an almost new Hirsch leather strap and has the coolest diamond cut glass, it is tricky to photograph but truely amazing.
    We believe that he used to wear it while on holiday in the South of France. It is very cool and very hipster. Now looking for a new home
    "

It's an AS 1858 movement with some interesting numbers near the 1858 marking. If they relate to the association with the AS 1902/03 (which I assume they do) as mentioned in this thread, this could be direct evidence:
    http://www.equationoftime.com/forums...estion-cleared

Even the lume is correct, it took quite a bit of effort to remove the case back and the seal is in place.

I was lucky enough to just stumble on it on the bay and made an offer which was accepted.

It is keeping time well, so no need for a service at the moment. Years in the bottom of a safe seem to have preserved the watch well, even from UV light damage to the lume.

have a great weekend one and all.

Mick
    Last edited by Mick; 08-10-2019, 09:36 AM.

Hi, nice catch, it's one of the rare dated AS movements that according to the code was assembled in March of '69. I'm a bit confused as to the description "black/gold" , which parts are gold? Also, are you saying that the lume still works?

Comment

Congratulations Mick, a great find.
      http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
        Hi, nice catch, it's one of the rare dated AS movements that according to the code was assembled in March of '69. I'm a bit confused as to the description "black/gold" , which parts are gold? Also, are you saying that the lume still works?
        Tim, the marker ring and hands appear to be a very pale gold colour to me, but that might be subjective. They could be silver, but the are certainly a different tint to the case.

No the lume doesn't work, I thought my words might not be right after i posted it. The lume is undisturbed and has not deteriorated physically, but no longer functions, as we would expect for a watch of this age.

Did you spot the 1902/03 marking between the AS and the 1858?

Sorry if I got the description slightly wrong.

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by Mick View Post

Tim, the marker ring and hands appear to be a very pale gold colour to me, but that might be subjective. They could be silver, but the are certainly a different tint to the case.

No the lume doesn't work, I thought my words might not be right after i posted it. The lume is undisturbed and has not deteriorated physically, but no longer functions, as we would expect for a watch of this age.

Mick
          These seller pics show the marker and hands colour a bit better than my own.

Selection_002.png Selection_001.png

Comment

Originally posted by Mick View Post

Mick
            Hi Mick, I'm much happier for you if the ring and hands aren't gold and also that the lume doesn't work. From all we know, it would be extremely unusual, if, given the vintage of this Diastar, it had gold hands and marker ring, it would push it into the realms of the interfered with, likewise if the lume worked, as it would be tritium, and there's no way it would still be working after 50 years. As it stands, I think you have something quite rare, a black dialled, dated AS movement powered, Diastar 1, congtrats!

Comment

Working...
            X