R 255 Extra Flat (Help)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R 255 Extra Flat (Help)

This one arrived today and it's everything that I expected, maybe late 50s early 60s What do you think?
    The problem is that I can not find any info on Reference R 255 in stainless steel, if I search for the R 253 gold plated or just Rado Extra Flat a few gp come up with the same movement FHF 72 at different auctions and a couple of blogs.

I searched the forum and there is only 1 thread by JP http://www.equationoftime.com/forums...ado-extra-flat and is the gold plated, the model Extra flat is not in the name list here at the forum, Mike has it on his page but it shows a photo of the gold plated, no SS.
    Mike posted in the thread the German 1962 Catalogue that shows the Extra Flat Model 11563, IMO I don't think that is the one, it has 21 jewels, applied anchor and Swiss under the six o'clock marker.

[img]
    I beleive this is the one in the catalog, I could not find a back case photo. Armbanduhr: seltene, elegante, extra flache Herrenuhr 'Rado Streamline' in Edelstahl, Ref. 11563, 1957 bis 1965

That is another mystery the word Swiss does not appear on the dial and I took out the bezel to make sure, I looked at other examples and they were the same, only in the movement do you see the word Swiss.

This is the only SS model that I was able to find but it has a different case and Reference # with the same movement FHF 72

Sorry for the long post. (HELP)
    And finally, here is the watch in a temporary strap 19mm lugs, what I like is that it wears big and is all dial at 36mm.

Last edited by JOSE G; 08-02-2019, 07:48 PM.

One more.

Comment

Wow, Josť, that is a really rare item, primarily due to the FHF caliber 72 inside. I'm unaware of many watches Rado made with the 25-jewel variant. They did also use a lower jewel-count version.
      I too have a watch with that movement, though mine has a date:

http://www.watchcarefully.com/inventory/fhf72-4.html

I'd consider selling it if anyone is interested.
      Brad
      Last edited by Watch Carefully; 08-01-2019, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
        Wow, Josť, that is a really rare item, primarily due to the FHF caliber 72 inside. I'm unaware of many watches Rado made with the 25-jewel variant. They did also use a lower jewel-count version.

Brad
        Thanks Brad, I appreciate it, I've seen yours, rare and very nice.
        I've been after a thin hand wind dress watch with no complications for a while so I'm very happy with this one.

What do you think of the year, it appears to be in this advert from the 50s but I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by JOSE G View Post

What do you think of the year, it appears to be in this advert from the 50s but I'm not sure.
          Great question. I usually defer to Mike on questions about age for these early models. The dial and movement are presumably late-1950s to early 1960s. That case seems like a very modern design, almost like something from later. However, the hands on your example identify it, based on my experience and pre-conceptions, as late 1950s*, so I would guess it is not much later than 1960, if at all.

*that is an older style than the stick hands on my FHF 74-2.

Comment

Thanks Brad.
            Come on Mike, shine in!

Comment

Nice find Jose. I agree with Brad. I think the ref number on the case marks the case as a 1950s one and I doubt whether the watch was made much after 1960. I do not have a Rado with the FHF-72 but I do have a modern watch with a heavily uprated 17 J version.
              Last edited by Watch Carefully; 08-01-2019, 12:17 PM.
              Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

[QUOTE=Henry Krinkle;n580949]Nice find Jose. I agree with Brad. I think the ref number on the case marks the case as a 950s one and I doubt whether the watch was made much after 1960. I do not have a Rado with the FHF-72 but I do have a modern watch with a heavily uprated 17 J version.[/Q

Thank you Henry, sure I remember your Armand Nicolet L-10 very nice.
                ARMAN NICOLET.jpg

Comment

Congrats Jose, I can't add to what's been said here, but it looks like you've picked up a rare Rado with a rare and beautiful movement, almost warrants a display back, like Henry's AN, I think.

P.S. It looks to be a good size in comparison to the GH, what does it measure?
                  Last edited by Tim.; 08-02-2019, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
                    Congrats Jose, I can't add to what's been said here, but it looks like you've picked up a rare Rado with a rare and beautiful movement, almost warrants a display back, like Henry's AN, I think.

P.S. It looks to be a good size in comparison to the GH, what does it measure?
                    Thanks Tim, it appears and feels like it is but is only 1mm bigger, the GH is 35mm w/o the crown and the Extra Flat is 36mm w/o the crown.
                    I like how they pull that one off.

Comment

A classic dress watch Jose.
                      Congratulations on finding such a rarity.
                      http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Originally posted by scottjc View Post
                        A classic dress watch Jose.
                        Congratulations on finding such a rarity.
                        Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post

Brad
                          And this is the only Extra Flat that I found in 23 jewels, probably using the FHF-72 that Brad mentions, do not know the Ref. #

This is probably the movement, posted by Brad.

Comment

Working...
                          X