Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Rado Chronograph with Valjoux 23, 1940s

Hi!

A reader of my HP from France asked about my opinion on his 1940sī Rado Chronograph.
    He was so friendly to allow me to share his photos - the case number on the back was removed by me..

Itīs a real beauty in a condition like new from the factory, so enjoy the pics:

Chronograph script aa.jpg

Chronograph script dd.jpg

IMG_0499 s.jpg

So what we know is:

Itīs an Art Deco 18k gold case with a Valjoux 23 inside, the leather strap is replaced.
    The Valjoux 23 has a second pusher, so it is definitely 1938 or later. A French watchmaker estimated the year of production from 1944 to 1947.
    The Rado-logo in script-version was used up to 1950.

The grandfather of the owner bought two identical pieces of this chronograph after the end of WW II in Switzerland, one for each of his two sons.
    So meanwhile the owner got this one from his father and his cousin got the other one from his father, the uncle of the owner of this one..
    The second chronograph is not in that excellent condition and shows much more traces of wear.
    Best regards, Mike
    vintage-rado.de

Beautiful Mike and very rare. Is the movement signed? I have not seen a Rado with this motif with a signed movement yet. This other piece is for sale at the moment.

464B439A-DBDB-4E11-9724-BFB93AE0A2B5.jpeg

See my collection slideshow at
    http://s629.photobucket.com/user/sca...20March%202012

Comment

Thanks for posting this Mike, it is indeed a rare and beautiful piece of Rado history.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnPat View Post
        Beautiful Mike and very rare. Is the movement signed? I have not seen a Rado with this motif with a signed movement yet. This other piece is for sale at the moment.

464B439A-DBDB-4E11-9724-BFB93AE0A2B5.jpeg
        Hi John!

Unfortunately thereīs no movement pic, but Iīm still in contact with the owner - maybe he knows it.

The only Rado Chronograph I know with signed Valjoux 23 is older, pre-1938(still one pusher) and has no signed dial.
        I think it had been here in the forum a few years ago:

Chronograph Valjoux b.JPG
        Chronograph Valjoux 23.JPG

Thanx for posting the one being offered in Japan at the moment.
        Itīs not the other one of this pair from France.
        Itīs a few years newer from the design of the case, dial/markers/cyphers and the hands - these Lancette hands came 1949/50 AFAIK..
        The case is GP with a SS-back and the pushers are rectangular, not round.

1 Chrono Valjoux 23 script GP d.jpg
        1 Chrono Valjoux 23 script GP i.jpg
        Last edited by mike184; 07-07-2019, 09:20 AM.
        Best regards, Mike
        vintage-rado.de

Comment

That's a lovely piece Mike and in such great shape.
          Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Working...
          X