New to Vintage Rados - Spotting Fakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Vintage Rados - Spotting Fakes

Hey guys, long time watch lover, new to the vintage Rado world.I have seen a few models online, and I have absolutely fallen in love with the NCC 101. However I have been reading here, and on other sites about the prolific fakes that are around on eBay, etc in colors that arenít authentic with like issues, etc. Can anyone describe to me what I should be looking for, and where the most reputable places to find some authentic NCC 101s are? I stumbled upon some "too good to be true" deals on Etsy, which I am thinking fall under the fake umbrella.
    https://www.etsy.com/search?q=rado%20ncc%20101

What color combinations did the NCC101s actually come in? Is it possible to have the Rado anchor on the top or the left side?

Thanks in advance for any help! Looking forward to learning more!
    Last edited by jgbrady13; 05-20-2019, 10:41 PM.

Welcome JG,
    Check out this thread, which has links to some other threads, including one on NCCs:
    http://www.equationoftime.com/forums...esource-thread

With regard to "the most reputable places to find some authentic NCC 101s", I suspect that most sellers of vintage watches are as likely to succumb to Franken-NCCs as anyone else. They may obtain something that looks authentic, but not really be a configuration that left the factory--or it could have some changes/repairs done that make it un-original--but they would not know this. I truly believe that this forum has a higher concentration of expertise on vintage Rado watches than anywhere else on the web (English-speaking, at least), so you've likely come to the right place for such a question.

I hope we can help you with your search for watches and knowledge.
    Best regards,
    Brad

PS. Note, some 'sticky' threads are not staying stuck atop the forum due to software issues. To see them all, click the FILTER drop-down menu and choose ALL TIME.

PPS. Beware of all the most colorful dials on vintage Rado and other brands (Esp. Favre-Leuba). There is a dial painting factory in India churning out re-dials with a fairly consistent array of bright colors. Lots of those ETSY pieces appear to be from that source. For example, look at the ones from India among these search results:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+king&_sacat=0

Last edited by Watch Carefully; 05-21-2019, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the tips and warm welcome. I will try that drop down, as i can only see like three pages of threads, that may fix it so i can do more research.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Brad's pretty much covered it. We are always happy to help a new Rado fan.
        Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Originally posted by jgbrady13
          Thank you for the tips and warm welcome. I will try that drop down, as i can only see like three pages of threads, that may fix it so i can do more research.
          Regarding your Etsy link. Here are a few things I noticed. With the possible exception of one, they all seem to have been frankened by the same guy. Note that in several instances the same watch is being sold by "different" people. Also note that where you can read the serial number it is the same on every watch.
          Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post

Regarding your Etsy link. Here are a few things I noticed. With the possible exception of one, they all seem to have been frankened by the same guy. Note that in several instances the same watch is being sold by "different" people. Also note that where you can read the serial number it is the same on every watch.
            Pretty much all of those watches are suspect. Does ETSY possibly stand for Exists To Scam You?

Comment

Thanks again guys. Yes Iím trying to hone my ability to spot these fakes, but the Etsy watches stood out pretty badly. Thereís a lot of research to do!

Comment

Working...
              X