Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastsun, another Rado sister-brand

Hi!

Everybody here or at least most of the members know Exacto and itエs history.
    It surely had been the most famous sister-brand of Rado, though itエs history
    ended in the late 1950s.

But there must have been more, less well known sister-brands.
    The Swiss Watch Directory, a "who-is-who" of the Swiss watch industry, lists in itエs
    42nd Edition from 1955 under "Schlup & Co." as brandnames: Conway, Cornell,
    Eastermann, Eastsan, Eastson, Eastsum, Emco, Exact, Exacto, Felsser, Fiel, Gladys,
    Happy, Harco, Oriente, Rado, Radomatic-Toto, Toto, Totowatch and Varsity.

We know Exacto, we know that Conway and Cornell became Rado model names later.
    I own a Cornell branded watch from the 1950s, which surely is made by Schlup & Co,
    but have seen others probably being made by other makers.
    Though researching about the other brands from time to time, I couldnエt find anything

Now it comes to Eastsan, Eastson, Eastsum.
    Meanwhile, a few Eastsun watches popped up in the www.
    Obviously forgotten in the listing above, does it seem to be a brandname being actually
    used by Schlup & Co in the 1940s, 1950s, maybe still in the 1960s.
    The name Eastsun had been registered by Schlup & Co/Rado, there even had been an
    Eastsun Timepiece Company, registered in Hongkong in 1953, probably a subsidiary of
    Schlup & Co/Rado.

Eastsan (1953), Eastson (1953) and Eastsum (already 1951) also had been registered
    by Schlup & Co/Rado, but no watches could be found.
    So my assumption is, that only Eastsun was used as a brand name and the other, similar
    sounding names, had been protected just to prevent, that other watch companies establish a
    brand, which could be confused with Eastsun. Nothing unusual at that time and still today.

All of the very few Eastsun watches I found come from China. This, and the fact that the Eastsun
    Timepiece Company was registered/located in Hongkong, lead to the assumption, that Eastsun had
    been a brand to market Schlup & Co watches in China.

All of the Eastsun watches I found are well known friends, follow ups of the WW II-Rado watches, sold
    under diverse labels, with handwound AS 1187 movements - and so relatives of the post-war models with
    chrome- or goldplated cases.

So here a few pics from what Iエve found:

1 2

3 4

1:

AS 1430, marked Eastsun

2:

(No movement pic for that one)

3:

AS 1187, marked Eastsun Watch Co(mpany)

4:

AS 1187, unmarked

The no. 4 arrived a few weeks ago and is part of my collection now.
    Remarkable is the Exacto reference number on the back(GR 9025), so they obviously used cases
    being meant for Exacto originally.
    The additional Enicar-logo(Saturn) and the additional "ultrasonic" is of course "creative dial design",
    when the dial was restored. But that can be removed.
    It came with a serviced movement, runs fine and very exactly and costed just a very few Euros..

All of them show the typical Rado/Exacto case- and dial design of that time and the used high quality
    finish of the movements with additional (gold-)chatons, as far as I can see all of them without shock protection.
    No. 2 and 3 seem to have original dials, No. 1 and 4 are refinished.

So finally there is some info about another empty space in the Schlup & Co/Rado history.
    I will add this info to my HP inner the next time.

If s.o. here gets any info about the other brandnames listed in the 1955 Swiss Watch Advisory or stumbles
    upon a watch with one of these names, please share or let me know!
    Last edited by mike184; 05-04-2019, 10:39 AM.
    Best regards, Mike
    vintage-rado.de

Hi!

Found a few others, one ladiesエ.
    All of them without movement pic.

5 Eastsun 1950s a.jpg

6 Eastsun 1950s a.jpg6 Eastsun 1950s b.jpg

7 Eastsun 1950s a.jpg
    7 Eastsun 1950s c.jpg

8 Eastsun 1950s a.jpg
    8 Eastsun 1950s b.jpg

9 Eastsun 1950s a.jpg
    9 Eastsun 1950s b.jpg

1 Eastsun Lady 14k a.jpg
    1 Eastsun Lady 14k b.jpg

Best regards, Mike
    vintage-rado.de

Comment

Hi Mike, very interesting info as always. I don't know if it's just me but the photo links in the original post seem to be broken, I can't see them anyway, anyone else?

Comment

Thanks, Tim!

Mysteries of the www - or of the forum software ...

The first 4 pics are linked from my HP - they show the "Swiss Advisory", the registration of Eastsun, some WWII-Rados and Exactos for compare on a photo and on an old Schlup& Co-Ad. I see all of them with Firefox and Chrome. With Edge, I see the first two, not the last two of them. But they are all to see on my HP: Exacto.

All of the Eastsun-pics are uploaded to the forum - I can see all of them in Firefox, Chrome, Edge. Only in Firefox, beside each pic, a pic-symbol shows up, as if a pic was missing. But theyエre there, all of them, so why ever.

Anyone else with problems?

BTW, I use Windows 10, latest version, Firefox/Chrome/Edge latest versions.
        Best regards, Mike
        vintage-rado.de

Comment

No pics in the first post. Second post has photos.

Comment

One more:

s-l1600.jpg

Another reference number for you, Mike:

s-l1600.jpg

Here's a movement photo. AS 1430, I believe, from the markings on the caseback:

s-l1600.jpg
            Last edited by Watch Carefully; 05-04-2019, 09:49 AM.

Comment

The Eastsun info is on my HP meanwhile, just click HERE.

Originally posted by earloffarnborough View Post
              No pics in the first post. Second post has photos.
              IMHO, the forum software is still a mess.
              How can it be that I see all of the pictures, both linked and uploaded(with the forum software) ones, in three of the worldエs most popular browsers on my PC - and others canエt?

Hi Brad!
              Thanks for the pics, but they are already in my first post.

EDIT:
              I just edited the first post, this time with Chrome instead of Firefox.
              All of the photos are present, also the uploaded ones, a second time in the attachment below.
              So I just removed the empty spaces between the text and saved.
              An error report popped up. But the changes are saved though. And all of the photos are still present(for me at least).
              BTW, I already posted this thread 2 days ago, After editing (to correct a mistake), it disappeared completely.
              I had been clever enough to save a backup and posted a second time yesterday.
              Itエs not a fun starting threads here.

Z EOT.jpg
              Last edited by mike184; 05-04-2019, 01:48 PM.
              Best regards, Mike
              vintage-rado.de

Comment

Pics(screenshots):

Z EOT b.jpg
                Z EOT c.jpg
                Z EOT d.jpg
                Z EOT e.jpg
                Best regards, Mike
                vintage-rado.de

Comment

Test. Just linked the photo below from Mike's website, using Firefox. Let's know if you can see it.

1955schweizuhrenanzeigerxs.jpg
                  I have tried viewing the original post with, Firefox, Chrome and Android.

Firefox looks like this.

Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 5.22.46 AM.png
                  Chrome and Android look like this.

Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 5.22.07 AM.png
                  Last edited by Tim.; 05-04-2019, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
                    Test. Just linked the photo below from Mike's website, using Firefox. Let's know if you can see it.

1955schweizuhrenanzeigerxs.jpg
                    ]
                    Hi Tim!

Yes, I can see it - with Firefox, Chrome and with Edge.
                    And I still can see it in my own first post - with Firefox, Chrome and with Edge.
                    And Iエm absolutely sure itエs the same link.

The screenshots in my last post were made with Chrome.
                    This is with Firefox:
                    Z EOT f.jpg
                    Chrome:
                    Z EOT g.jpg
                    Edge:Z EOT h.jpg
                    Best regards, Mike
                    vintage-rado.de

Comment

Originally posted by mike184 View Post

Hi Tim!

Yes, I can see it - with Firefox, Chrome and with Edge.
                      And I still can see it in my own first post - with Firefox, Chrome and with Edge.
                      And Iエm absolutely sure itエs the same link.

The screenshots in my last post were made with Chrome.
                      This is with Firefox:
                      Z EOT f.jpg
                      Chrome:
                      Z EOT g.jpg
                      Edge:Z EOT h.jpg
                      It's strange indeed that the links should upload using the same browser from my Mac and not from your PC. Although there is then a difference between using a Mac OS and Windows 10. I'm guessing these screenshots will be jpegs uploaded directly from your PC and not links, so perhaps the problem lies with the compatibility of the forum's software when uploading links from the latest version of Windows 10. We'll have to get someone else with the latest Windows 10 to do a test and see if we can repeat the problem.

Comment

The pics on the screenshots as well as all of the photos of Eastsun-watches in my first post were uploaded with the forum software.
                        And they show up in the post and, if I edit it, also in the attachement.

Only the first 4 photos in my first post are linked from my HP.

Best regards, Mike
                        vintage-rado.de

Comment

Originally posted by mike184 View Post
                          The pics on the screenshots as well as all of the photos of Eastsun-watches in my first post were uploaded with the forum software.
                          And they show up in the post and, if I edit it, also in the attachement.

Only the first 4 photos in my first post are linked from my HP.
                          Well, it's very strange then. As to the post disappearing after you edited it, I agree, it's a real pain. It's happened to me on a number of occasions when I've done an edit after I've posted Funky Friday. I usually message Henry and he puts it back up for me, which can of course take quite a while given the time difference between Eastern Australia and Central Canada. It's something to do with the anti-spam settings on the new platform I think. I've found the only way around it is to wait for a reply to the post, once that happens you're free to go ahead and do as many edits as you like without any problem.
                          Last edited by Tim.; 05-04-2019, 11:09 PM.

Comment

1951schlupradoexactodahp.jpgeastsun31940s326.jpgeastsun11950slady326.jpg
                            Best regards, Mike
                            vintage-rado.de

Comment

No problem seeing these ones Mike. What's the ultrasonic about, is it just a fancy name for a hi-beat movement?
                              Last edited by Tim.; 05-12-2019, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X