Spotted another Captain Cook Mk I made for Baylor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotted another Captain Cook Mk I made for Baylor

I spotted one of these m ore than 10 years ago and have been awaiting one to pop up again ever since.
    Apparently, the Baylor brand was used by a Jeweler in Texas, USA, so this must be another example of a 'private label' built by Rado for a specific retailer. Interesting that they retained the jeweled aperture on the dial:

s-l1600.jpg

173728587960-4.jpg

Sadly, there is no movement shot.
    Here is production data provided to me by Rado 17 years ago:

Ref. 11683
    • Start of production: 1962
    • End of production: 1968
    • Quantity: ca 8,000 pieces
    • Dial versions: black only

I wonder how many of these were made for Baylor...they are pretty rare, I'm sure!
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 04-15-2019, 10:36 AM. Reason: added more info

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
    Apparently, the Baylor brand was used by a Jeweler in Texas, USA, so this must be another example of a 'private label' built by Rado for a specific retailer.
    Correction/clarificaton: the Zale jewelry corp. in Texas registered the Baylor trademark (the name of a nearby university) in 1971, so after this watch was made, most likely, unless they used old stock. By then, Rado had been producing the Mk II Captain Cook for a few years. It is plausible that Rado produced these Mk Is as late as the 1970s, but the fashion for dive watches had changed much, and I doubt this 1962 design would be of great interest to the 1972 buying public.

Baylor Watch Co. also existed as an independent firm. The name was registered 20 year earlier:
    • Import von Alpina-Uhren; New York, USA; registriert am 23.7.1951
    It may require seeing the 3-letter import code on the movement of one of these watches, to determine whether it was an Alpina product, or perhaps a product of Benrus, who also registered Baylor as a trademark (date unknown).
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 05-07-2019, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Closing today...I doubt the final selling price would be anywhere near the asking price if it were a no-reserve auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-BAY...53.m1438.l2649

Comment

I would have thought it had something to do with Baylor University
        TKite,
        Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Working...
        X