Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody know the information about this Rado?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody know the information about this Rado?

Hai, i'm a noob...does anybody know the information about this Rado Voyager? I found two ref number in several sites for this Rado : 636.4002.4 and 636.4002.4 K, both of them use cal ETA 2836-2 Swiss. Has Rado ever released this watch model? If it's true, what's the difference?

Hi and welcome.
    I'm unable to find that reference in my list, which is not complete, so I cannot comment on the authenticity of that particular watch, though I see nothing that suggests an obvious problem.
    I would guess it is an authentic reference number, dating to the late 1980s or so.

We've seen Rado models with K or T on the case backs, and I believe the consensus agree that K signified a watch for Japan, while T signified one for Thailand.
    Whether it means they were assembled in that region or not, I will ask others to opine.
    Cheers,
    Brad
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
      Hi and welcome.
      I'm unable to find that reference in my list, which is not complete, so I cannot comment on the authenticity of that particular watch, though I see nothing that suggests an obvious problem.
      I would guess it is an authentic reference number, dating to the late 1980s or so.

We've seen Rado models with K or T on the case backs, and I believe the consensus agree that K signified a watch for Japan, while T signified one for Thailand.
      Whether it means they were assembled in that region or not, I will ask others to opine.
      Cheers,
      Brad
      Thanks for your attention...I've also looked for it but haven't found it yet ... I found some of these Rado watches in parts of countries such as Spain and East Asian countries

Comment

Hi and welcome. I generally agree with Brad on this. I see nothing to question it's authenticity. As far as we know the K reference means a Japanese market version. There may be minor differences between it and the regular ref. The interesting thing on that watch is the acrylic crystal. My eyesight isn't that great, but I imagine I can see the anchor on it. Rado started phasing out the acrylic anchors sometime in the mid seventies. Rado was notorious for using up all their backstock. Your watch was built in the early to mid eighties at the earliest, so that is pretty late to still be using the acrylic crystal with cast anchor. I don't know that I have seen one that recent before, particularly on Voyagers. Those switched to mineral crystals quite early. Perhaps that is the difference between the regular reference and your Asian version.
        Last edited by Watch Carefully; 03-14-2019, 08:28 AM.
        Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Hi & welcome!

Iīve seen some of these Voyagers already and have no doubt about authenticity.

Inside is an ETA 2936-2, which came in 1982 and I think it is from that year.
          These Rolex-style models were made for the Fareast-markets.
          The case is SS with a GP bezel, thatīs IMHO the reason for the additional "Y" (yellow?) directly behind the reference xxx.xxxx.4 (for SS).
          The reference xxx.xxxx.4 for SS ended in 1982, thatīs another indicator that the watch is from that year.

Interesting indeed the little anchor on the acrylic crystal - I agree with Henry, they surely used up a stock of older cases and crystals with this model.
          The case design is exactly the same they used before for some Rolex-styled Horses in the 1970s, just the bezel is a little bit wider.

Best regards, Mike
          vintage-rado.de

Comment

I have two of those, there were my father's. I'm not sure of the difference between the two but just FYI.

One with silver dial 636.4002.4
            The other one is exactly as the one on the picture, gold dial 636.4002.4K

Comment

DO both of them have acrylic crystals?

Originally posted by oneonlyonline View Post
              I have two of those, there were my father's. I'm not sure of the difference between the two but just FYI.

One with silver dial 636.4002.4
              The other one is exactly as the one on the picture, gold dial 636.4002.4K

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
                DO both of them have acrylic crystals?

No they don't. They are identical to the one on the picture with two different dial colors one is silver the other is gold. I have seen some with acrylic crystals online but I'm unaware of their reference.

Comment

Well, that's even more interesting since the example here does have the same ref. number and an acrylic crystal.

Originally posted by oneonlyonline View Post

No they don't. They are identical to the one on the picture with two different dial colors one is silver the other is gold. I have seen some with acrylic crystals online but I'm unaware of their reference.

Comment

Thanks All for the explanation ... Yeah, my Rado Voyager still using the acrylic crystal with cast anchor

Comment

Working...
                    X