Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help : DiaStar Authencity

Hi again,

I bought this DiaStar as my first Swiss Automatic Watch ever from some hobby collector in Korea for an okay price (175USD) as I figured from what I found on the internet. At that point I did not have enough knowledge or ressources to check how "original" this piece is. But from what I could find the case and movement match. Maybe and hands could be different from the real original.
    Is this a model from the 70s?

Please check the pics & give me your honest opinion. Much appreciated & Thanks,

WATCHROCK

That has a movement code of Sept 1973...I would guess it is a Diastar 8 or 8/1. Are there any numbers you can provide from the case? Built pre-1973 it might have a 5-digit reference number on the case back. Post-1972 it would have an 8-digit number...or might just read Diastar 8 or something similar.

Regardless, it looks original to me...there's no way of knowing whether it was built from period parts, but it sure looks like a factory product. The hands look authentic to me.
    Brad
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Thanks for your help and detailed explanation.
      Where on the case could I find the number?
      I have not found it on the outside or on the back of case with the Rado logo.

Comment

Hello and welcome. Here is an example of a DS 8 case back from the original mid 60's model with a push button date advance AS movement. Yours should be be a DS 8 with an 8 digit code (the code should follow the DIASTAR 8 around the edge of the logo), however it could well be an 8/1 as there are plenty of examples of non 8 digit DS 1/E's right up to late '74. To explain, I think DS 8/1 may sit between the DS 8 and DS 8 with the 8 digit code, much the same as the DS 1 and 1/E, to mark the change to ETA movements in '68 prior to the introduction of the 8 digit code in '72 (however this is only a theory and exceptions are often the rule with Rado). Sorry if this is all a bit confusing. If you can't see the the marks on the case back, they may have been polished or worn off. Try looking through a loupe and slowly change the light angle from side to side, you can usually find some remnants of the etching.

20190127_165312.jpg
        Last edited by Tim.; 01-27-2019, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice!
          I found it on the backcase outside and the number
          is "8100804" - that 7digit code might help you to identify further I hope.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Cheers,

WATCHROCK
          Attached Files

Comment

See here the slightly molested caseback as proof .
            Enjoy!~^^

Comment

Originally posted by WATCHROCK View Post
              Thanks for the advice!
              I found it on the backcase outside and the number
              is "8100804" - that 7digit code might help you to identify further I hope.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Cheers,

WATCHROCK
              Unfortunately that's not a reference number, it's the case number and is of no use for identification purposes. The numbers you're looking for will be on the opposite side above the logo and have probably worn off or are too feint to see. There is also a possibility that someone has replaced the case back. As far as identification goes, it is as Brad says, a Diastar 8 or 8/1, the movement was built in Sep of '73 and would've been cased sometime after that. The case being of the later or small sub-case variety strongly suggests it would be a DS 8 with 8 digit reference number. Here are the 3 types of oval vintage Diastar case. The oldest, "zero, bayonet" early '60's type on the left, mid to late '60's "half case" in the middle and the '70's "small sub-case" type like yours, on the right.

20190128_090417.jpg
              Last edited by Tim.; 01-27-2019, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post

Unfortunately that's not a reference number, it's the case number and is of no use for identification purposes. The numbers you're looking for will be on the opposite side above the logo and have probably worn off or are too feint to see. There is also a possibility that someone has replaced the case back. As far as identification goes, it is as Brad says, a Diastar 8 or 8/1, the movement was built in Sep of '73 and would've been cased sometime after that. The case being of the later or small sub-case variety strongly suggests it would be a DS 8 with 8 digit reference number. Here are the 3 types of oval vintage Diastar case. The oldest, "zero, bayonet" early '60's type on the left, mid to late '60's "half case" in the middle and the '70's "small sub-case" type like yours, on the right.

20190128_090417.jpg
                Thanks for your detailed reply!
                Still learning always something new.
                At least I know now the watch is authentic and original.

Btw is there any database for Rado Watches like for Omega Watches? It seems a lot more tricky to deal with Rado Vintage pieces compared to Omega.
                Thanks for your help!

Comment

Thanks for your detailed reply!
                  Still learning always something new.
                  At least I know now the watch is authentic and original.

Btw is there any database for Rado Watches like for Omega Watches? It seems a lot more tricky to deal with Rado Vintage pieces compared to Omega.
                  Thanks for your help!
                  Some of the most detailed information you'll ever find regarding vintage Rado is right here, you've already arrived at ground zero. What you need to do is to click on the filter tab at the top of the main Rado Forum page and select "all time". The sticky topics will appear at the top of the page allowing you access to the "resource thread". In there you'll find links to all that is known about the Vintage Radoverse.

Comment

Btw is there any database for Rado Watches like for Omega Watches?
                    The databases specific to Omega and other brands (Longines, Hamilton, Rolex, etc.) are possible because those brands used serial numbers on their movements.
                    Rado did not number their movements, with the exception of those submitted for chronometer certification (numbering them for identification is mandatory). Therefore, there is no database that allows one to ID a production year by way of the movement serial number.

As Tim and Mike have suggested, EOT represents the foremost accumulation of collected knowledge on vintage Rado anywhere, to my knowledge.
                    Some searching is required, but the link to the Rado Resource Thread is a key place to start:
                    http://www.equationoftime.com/forums...esource-thread

Brad
                    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Thanks for your reply, guys!
                      Good to know that this is the place to be for Rado Vintage info.

Now gotta find good sources where to get these beautiful Rado Timepieces . Maybe Ebay or thisfo forum here?

Comment

Working...
                      X