• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion : Recased Rado N19?

Hi guys,

Another Mystery X case.
    I found this N19 Rado as I figured but it looks very
    recased imho although I am not an expert but from
    reference pics I found. This watch should be in a square like case(?). Unfortunately here only back case with number and caliber case.

Thanks for your help & Cheers,

WATCHROCK

Hello and welcome. I think you are correct. From the condition of the dial it seems like the case was probably worse. Whoever "fixed" it doesn't seem to have cared that the N 19 should be in a cushion case.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Thanks for your opinion!
      I like the watch but I certainly would not want to pay 180USD for a Frankenwatch.
      The Vintage watch world is full of traps indeedy...
      There are enough dealers in Korea that are pretty annoyed if you asked them to show you the movement - It is either buy or go away for them lols...

Comment

Originally posted by WATCHROCK View Post
        Thanks for your opinion!
        I like the watch but I certainly would not want to pay 180USD for a Frankenwatch.
        The Vintage watch world is full of traps indeedy...
        There are enough dealers in Korea that are pretty annoyed if you asked them to show you the movement - It is either buy or go away for them lols...
        Here are some photos of the N19 from Mike Keller's Vintage Rado site. You'll find a link to it in the resource thread. N19 cases are almost identical to the early Voyager cases. I think there is also a square cushion version.

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 4.51.33 PM.png

Comment

I sold mine to Mike some years ago, maybe he will show it. I believe it had a different case..
          Pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.

Comment

Originally posted by pimpclinic.v.s.o.p. View Post
            I sold mine to Mike some years ago, maybe he will show it. I believe it had a different case..
            Oh, I see!
            Yeah that would be great to for sure.
            Waiting for him to maybe post then.

Comment

Hi!

There are many versions of the N19 - different dial colours, different hands, markers with and withot inlays from coloured crystal, day and day/date, polished or with sunburst on top of the case.
              All of them made 1968 - early 1970s with Fareast-cases (made in Hongkong), to see from the special 4-digit-references.
              But all of the cases cushion shaped, similar but not identical to the first Voyager models.
              This is surely recased into a case of probably a Horse model - I assume just the back with the reference 5135 is from the original case.
              Rado used screw down backs from 1968 on and some of them are interchangeable.
              I have no reference 5135 in my register, but it is far away from complete and the next ones (5115, 5160, 5165) are N19s. So the back could be original.

I own three N19s, one date (ETA 2783) and two day/dates (ETA 2789). The day vesion is the left one in Timīs post, one of the day/dates is the one in the middle (with a broken secondīs hand, thatīs too short). Here are some better pics of the day/dates:

0 a N19 a.jpg
              0 a N19 b.jpg
              0 a N19 ETA 2789 b.jpg
              0 b N19 a.jpg
              Best regards, Mike
              vintage-rado.de

Comment

Originally posted by mike184 View Post
                Hi!

There are many versions of the N19 - different dial colours, different hands, markers with and withot inlays from coloured crystal, day and day/date, polished or with sunburst on top of the case.
                All of them made 1968 - early 1970s with Fareast-cases (made in Hongkong), to see from the special 4-digit-references.
                But all of the cases cushion shaped, similar but not identical to the first Voyager models.
                This is surely recased into a case of probably a Horse model - I assume just the back with the reference 5135 is from the original case.
                Rado used screw down backs from 1968 on and some of them are interchangeable.
                I have no reference 5135 in my register, but it is far away from complete and the next ones (5115, 5160, 5165) are N19s. So the back could be original.

I own three N19s, one date (ETA 2783) and two day/dates (ETA 2789). The day vesion is the left one in Timīs post, one of the day/dates is the one in the middle (with a broken secondīs hand, thatīs too short). Here are some better pics of the day/dates:
                mike184
                Thanks for your detailed comment on this case.
                Definitely very interesting information that you provided.
                Still funny to know that these interesting Frankenwatches exist in the Vintage watch world.
                Definitely gotta always double check with people that are knowledgeable about these models .

Will keep posting my Rado Watch adventures here!

Cheers & Best Regards from Seoul,

WATCHROCK

Comment

Working...
                X