Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conway 20 Purchase

Hey all,

I have made my second Rado purchase, a Conway 20 out of Egypt. Its my first mechanical automatic and bought it as a birthday treat for myself

I got it for a great price on Ebay but am now having an issue with the seller adding postage to the item after the auction ended. It was listed with free postage and I got it for $58 US, a real bargain I thought, but the seller sent an invoice and added an extra $32 US for postage to Australia which is a bit of a bummer. I contacted ebay and I dont have to go thru with the sale, but I really like the watch so will probably have to cop the added postage to secure it.

From a little research I did on here before purchase it is apparently manufactured around 1973 I really like the lines on the watchband, have not really seen a band like that before and I couldn't actually find one the same on any of the other Conway pics I tracked down online. Seller says it is the original band but you guys may have a better idea. Is the movement correct for this model? Looks like it has not been polished at any point and apart from a few scratches on the crystal is in not too bad shape. I noticed that the part of the word monday on day wheel seems to be worn but no biggy.

I think even with the postage bringing the watch up to $90 US its still a good pickup? Enjoy the pics

PS. These pics are direct from the ebay post, that is not my arm with the thick black hair hahahaha.

Hello.
    The Conway is a genuine piece but I have a couple of concerns.
    The crown looks gold coloured, which suggests that it has been replaced as it should be silver with an anchor symbol.
    The bracelet isn't original as the clasp should be signed. That being said, it does suit the watch quite nicely.
    The main concern though it that the day appears to be changing at 4 o'clock which tells me that the movement needs a service at the very least.
    http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Hey Scott,
      I did notice the crown but did not know that Rado crowns were only silver and thought perhaps the anchor had been worn off as there are some weird markings on it. Had a feeling was not genuine though.
      The clasp on the band does actually have RADO stamp on it, is just worn.
      I did not even pick up on the day change vs time thing haha! I'm still learning so I'm glad you pointed it out. Does the day click into place relatively quickly? As in should it be fully engaged by say 0015 or so? Or do they slowly rotate over the course of the day.
      Thanks for your observations
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Madkant View Post
        Hey Scott,
        I did notice the crown but did not know that Rado crowns were only silver and thought perhaps the anchor had been worn off as there are some weird markings on it. Had a feeling was not genuine though.
        The clasp on the band does actually have RADO stamp on it, is just worn.
        I did not even pick up on the day change vs time thing haha! I'm still learning so I'm glad you pointed it out. Does the day click into place relatively quickly? As in should it be fully engaged by say 0015 or so? Or do they slowly rotate over the course of the day.
        Thanks for your observations
        ​​​​​​
        I think that the plating has simply worn off the crown, some is still visible around the side. It's possible the owner wore it on their right hand and the crown has been rubbing against a sweaty cuff for many years. I own one with a crown like that and the logo has partially worn off too, making it look weird. Given the amount of wear on it I'd say it's probably the original, new ones can be found if you want to replace it. The movement date is March '73 so that tallies with the description. I've not seen that bracelet before and couldn't say if it's genuine but I'd say that the logo on the clasp isn't worn but etched which makes it a later addition. Will post a picture of some 70's clasps. If the day does actually tick over at 4 (and no, they don't gradually change all day) consistently, it could be that the hands have been taken off and not put back on at 12 to line up with the changeover or there maybe a problem with one of the wheels and the hands have slipped out of sequence, either way I agree with Scott, have it serviced, there's a bit of rust around the edge, so it needs cleaning and a new seal anyway. You could take the case home with you and polish the crystal while the movement's being serviced. As for the postage, that's a real bummer, it's false advertising and eBay should make him pay the freight.

20181206_080941.jpeg
        Last edited by Tim.; 12-06-2018, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info Tim. I will go ahead with the purchase and post some close up pics of the band when it gets here to see if we can't work out its origin. I will follow Scott's advice and get a service done and try my hand at polishing the crystal. What is best method for polishing by hand?

Comment

Originally posted by Madkant View Post
            Thanks for the info Tim. I will go ahead with the purchase and post some close up pics of the band when it gets here to see if we can't work out its origin. I will follow Scott's advice and get a service done and try my hand at polishing the crystal. What is best method for polishing by hand?
            That crystal is acrylic and so is quite soft and relatively easy to polish using very fine wet and dry paper (1200) to remove the deeper scratches followed by diamond paste to finish it. Diamond paste is available in multiple grades quite cheaply on eBay. For example this pack of 7 ranging from 5 to .25 micron is $15 delivered.

s-l1600.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post

That crystal is acrylic and so is quite soft and relatively easy to polish using very fine wet and dry paper (1200) to remove the deeper scratches followed by diamond paste to finish it. Diamond paste is available in multiple grades quite cheaply on eBay. For example this pack of 7 ranging from 5 to .25 micron is $15 delivered.

s-l1600.jpg
              I just use Polywatch for acrylic crystals.
              http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Hi!

Congrats on a nice find!
                The Conway 20 is much rarer than a "normal" Conway, 11064 is the correct reference number for a Conway 20.
                The movement is an ETA 2789.
                The case is made before 1972, it still has a 5-digit-reference number, so they took it from stock when the watch was manufactured in 03/1973.
                I completely agree with Tim about the rest, except one:
                No expensive diamond paste or Polywatch is needed for finishing an acrylic crystal, simple steel-/chrome-polish (for cars) is much cheaper, almost already there in the most households and it does the same job. The best is to take a piece of cork from a wine bottle, one end grinded completely plane on a piece of sandpaper..
                If the crystal has no deep scratches, that is enough.
                Best regards, Mike
                vintage-rado.de

Comment

Thanks for the tip Mike, I will try some metal polish that I already have at home and see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                  X