Matte black ceramic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matte black ceramic

Rado does shiny very well, yes, but a lot of the time I would prefer matte ceramic black or very dark grey, especially when travelling.

I have seen the Rado R5.5s and that is more what I'm after size and style-wise but they don't seem to come up often. I don't want any steel or any polished ceramic on the watch, which rules out most hyperchromes.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Have you considered the True line? Many of them are matte ceramic and there are always a ton for sale on the grey market. I know Frank loves his R5.5, though.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Yes, I've seen some matte numbers in the True range, but I already have a True thinline and a True on top of that would feel a little redundant. I wish Rado would consider a few more matte options in all ceramic.

I'd love an R5.5 if anyone has one they're willing to part with.

Comment

Originally posted by yokied View Post
        Yes, I've seen some matte numbers in the True range, but I already have a True thinline and a True on top of that would feel a little redundant. I wish Rado would consider a few more matte options in all ceramic.

I'd love an R5.5 if anyone has one they're willing to part with.
        Did I know you had a True? I am not certain but I think there may have briefly been a matte Sintra.

Comment

There are definitely matte Sintras as well as matte Ceramicas in both the traditional style and the new style. I think even the V10K and the Rado One (?), you know the Tron watch, were available. So there are definitely choices, though most won't be that cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RADO-SINTRA...-/261355167280

https://www.jomashop.com/rado-cerami...r21715152.html

Comment

I know my posting habits are inconsistent but quite right you weren't to know about the thinline.

I went deep on this one tonight and kept arriving back at the R5.5. This is part of an effort to really pare back my collection and there isn't room for compromise anymore. What I'm getting at with the comments about how few options there are in matte is the gap in sizes. It's either the Ceramicas and Sintras or Hyperchromes. There should be something in between the relatively petite sizes and muted presence of the Ceramics and Sintras and the rather bulky-looking 42mm+ Hyperchromes. The R5.5 is it, with a discreet dollop of funk.

Comment

It sounds like you have your heart set on the R5.5. Good luck. There are numerous examples out there but I don't think it was ever one of their big sellers. As already discussed I know Frank loves his. Have you tried a Hyperchrome? It is actually quite a small wearing watch. My 40mm wears smaller than my 38mm Centrix. Significantly. It's pretty sleek on the wrist. I don't know if Rado ever made the 38.7 mm in matte, but I believe so. I suspect it wouldn't wear significantly bigger than a 36mm square. I know my 27mm Ceramica is really large, though the bracelet makes it wear larger. I would be hesitant to buy one of them in the 32mm width. This is probably the only reason I don't own one of the Accuquartz powered Ceramicas
              Last edited by Henry Krinkle; 11-22-2018, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Yes the bracelet really does frame it. When there is no taper to it and the watch head has no pronounceable start or end, it just ends up looking too much like jewellery. I tried a couple of Hyperchrome variants on last year. They are quite sleek for the specs but the design feels a little conventional for me and I just can't get excited about them, particularly the two-tone bracelets which they don't give enough contrast to on many of the watches.

I like the D-star rattrapante but I'm imagining they come up even less frequently than R5.5s.

Comment

Working...
                X