What the heck is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck is this?

A Diastar 55/ Balboa Deluxe style case stuck onto a fake modern Rado? They seem to have dozens and from the back the case looks like steel.

s-l500.jpg

Here is the link, if you dare offend yourself further with a closer look at this abomination.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/RADO-VINTAGE...UAAOSw0kRbo2Mp
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; 11-06-2018, 01:46 PM.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Available in multiple colours! Is it my imagination or can we see where they painted the gold onto the exisitng links?

s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; 11-06-2018, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Yikes. Something more to avoid!

I noticed a whole bunch of Centrix skeleton automatics (not oval Diastars) for sale at low prices out of the UK on ebay. I'l try to find an example--either they are believable fakes or Rado is dumping an unpopular line on to the grey market. Ah...here is one (note--I have not compared this to authentic examples from Rado's website):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rado-Brand-...1wHK:rk:9f:0

s-l500.jpg
      Jomashop has similar for $1000 US.
      Last edited by Watch Carefully; 11-06-2018, 02:14 PM.
      Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

One of the listings with the gold coloured version shows the case back and it is a giveaway, but you are correct. These are good fakes.

s-l500 (1).jpg

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
        Yikes. Something more to avoid!

I noticed a whole bunch of Centrix skeleton automatics (not oval Diastars) for sale at low prices out of the UK on ebay. I'l try to find an example--either they are believable fakes or Rado is dumping an unpopular line on to the grey market. Ah...here is one (note--I have not compared this to authentic examples from Rado's website):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rado-Brand-...1wHK:rk:9f:0

s-l500.jpg
        Jomashop has similar for $1000 US.

Comment

There are tons of fakes on the bay. Been more and more showing up for the last couple months. I dare say there are more fakes than real Rados on the bay now. Very disturbing!

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
            One of the listings with the gold coloured version shows the case back and it is a giveaway, but you are correct. These are good fakes.

s-l500 (1).jpg
            Ah yes, the authentic model has a display back. I suspected that the lack of rear view photos and any mention of boxes was indicative that they are fake. Very convincing ones at a glance.
            Also, a close inspection of bridge shapes on the Jomashop example shows the movements are not the same.
            Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

I had noticed that about the bridges as well. Frankly, with my memory now, I'd need the photos of an authentic one to remember though.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
                A Diastar 55/ Balboa Deluxe style case stuck onto a fake modern Rado? ...
                Balboa DeLuxe style - similar.
                The DiaStar 55 is a ladiesī model with classic oval case and additional reference 562.0055.3.
                Itīs a DiaStar 97 lookalike:

DS 97 a.jpg

And yes, whole lotta fakes in the bay.

Centrix Fake.jpg
                Last edited by mike184; 11-06-2018, 08:29 PM.
                Best regards, Mike
                vintage-rado.de

Comment

I must be confused. I'll have to look at the back of this one day. For some reason I thought it was a Dia 55... Nonetheless, their fake is clearly based on this model.

Originally posted by mike184 View Post

Balboa DeLuxe style - similar.
                  The DiaStar 55 is a ladiesī model with classic oval case and additional reference 562.0055.3.
                  Itīs a DiaStar 97 lookalike:

DS 97 a.jpg

And yes, whole lotta fakes in the bay.
                  Last edited by Henry Krinkle; 11-07-2018, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Hi Henry!

This is a ladiesī DiaStar 55, ref. 562.0055.3:

1 DiaStar 55 Lady a.jpg

1 DiaStar 55 Lady c.jpg

The faked case is a DiaStar 97, but I think there had been also another DiaStar number with the same case design.
                    But Iīm unable to recall, which one. My archive lost a lot of pics a few years ago because of a crashed HDD and my
                    DiaStar-folder is far away from complete. And my register contains reference numbers and movements, but only just
                    a very few case details.
                    So it would be nice to know the reference of yours.

Edit: The pic of the DS 97 doesnīt have the best quality, I looked sharper and it seems to be the same case as the
                    Hardtron, not as your DS and the faked ones - the flattened flanks are missing.

M1 Hardtron a xs.jpgHardtron
                    Last edited by mike184; 11-07-2018, 07:30 PM.
                    Best regards, Mike
                    vintage-rado.de

Comment

Working...
                    X