Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rado Green Horse 71 Jewels.

Hi All,

Just to share pictures of my recent flea-market find.

A Rado Green Horse with 71 Jewels. Not much information in these watches online.

The crystal has seen better days as its pretty crazed and scratched. It came with a nice beads-of-rice bracelet with a Rado clasp which is nice. The bracelet is pretty long which is a plus point as I can use some links on my other watches. The crown alas, is a plain jane replacement. Cost me around USD85.

Oh and the rotating anchor is missing, I did not notice it at the time of purchase but I probably would've bought it anyway if I had!

I will post pictures of the movement soon...

Nice catch. The 71 is not the jewel count. There has been some speculation that Rado models with seventy one, seventy three, seventy four etc model names reflect the year of launch but that was proven not to be the case.
    See my collection slideshow at
    http://s629.photobucket.com/user/sca...20March%202012

Comment

Originally posted by JohnPat View Post
      Nice catch. The 71 is not the jewel count. There has been some speculation that Rado models with seventy one, seventy three, seventy four etc model names reflect the year of launch but that was proven not to be the case.
      So far, I've seen high jewel counts from Rado of 30, 41 (or was that a Titoni I had?), 57 and 93.
      I've not seen any others and concur with John, this is a model designation, not a jewel count.
      If it was represented by the seller as having 71 jewels, I suspect you would be eligible for a refund.
      Good luck with it,
      Brad
      Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post

So far, I've seen high jewel counts from Rado of 30, 41 (or was that a Titoni I had?), 57 and 93.
        I've not seen any others and concur with John, this is a model designation, not a jewel count.
        If it was represented by the seller as having 71 jewels, I suspect you would be eligible for a refund.
        Good luck with it,
        Brad
        You are correct Brad, there was a 41 jewel Rado

Comment

Originally posted by JohnPat View Post

You are correct Brad, there was a 41 jewel Rado
          Thanks for clarifying, John. 20 years ago I owned a 1950s Titoni Airmaster with a Felsa 41-jewel day-date movement. Lovely watch...I've only seen perhaps one like it since I sold it. I suspected Rado had made one also, but this old brain plays its tricks...

Comment

I was thinking of this one

AE52C8CD-B8E7-477D-8C6A-0DA29062201F.jpeg

Comment

Thanks for the comments.. no it wasn't sold to me as having 71 jewels but I would imagine it would be misleading back in the day when the watch was new.

I've seen Titonis with 555 and I believe some Pagols with 929 .. no way those could be mistaken as jewel counts but 71?

Anilv

Comment

Here's the Titoni I had:

Note the Swarovsky crystal they used at the 6:00 position on Airmasters back then. Maybe I should have saved this for a "Rado or Not?" post!
                How do you like that ancient flat-bed scan??

Comment

Tried to get the back off but its too tight, need to bring to my friend who has a benchtop opener.

Anilv

Comment

Unfortunately I am with John and Brad on this one. 71 is simply part of the model name and not the jewel count.
                    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

I thought at this point it might be interesting to throw in a link to this thread, not in the interest of clarifying anything, rather just to add to the confusion. Although I would probably agree that this is just a model name, it's surprising where they can stash the jewels for the sake of a sales incentive.
                      http://www.equationoftime.com/forums...j-world-travel
                      Last edited by Tim.; 10-15-2018, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X