Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manhattan Project- Gold Edition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Manhattan Project- Gold Edition.

    Look what I discovered while perusing the Watch Forum Archive! My post with Phiotobucket photos intact!

    Bear with me-lots of pictures. Also, ignore the lint...

    My unloved near mint SS Manhattan V is off to a new home. Another Manhattan arrived; one that needs some TLC










    Dirty, scratched, tarnished and there seems to be ruboff on the edges of the links and on the case.






    It's even dirty inside the case. On the other hand- The presence of the good/evil original Manhattan gasket seems to put to rest the question of whether or not the rust dial with crystal markers is authentic. It also bodes well for the As1859 inside.







    The bracelet is dirty. It is stiff and some links are actually seized, so I took every single link apart and cleaned them.





    After cleaning. While it was apart I also polished the centre portions.





    The cleaning solution and rag after.




    The case cleaned but otherwise untouched.




    A light sand and polish reveals one of the sharpest Manhattan backs I've yet seen. While it is still scratched the previously invisible Ref number revealed itself: 11819.







    The sanded and polished signed crystal looks near mint with razor sharp bevels and even compound curves. The good/evil Manhattan gasket has kept the dial in mint condition and the Szwarofsky crystals glittering. The polished case is sharp and all the case engraving is still clearly readable.



    Seven hours later:





    The reassembled three row,with a couple of links added. I love the lug ends.

    I was initially going to replate regardless. I believe this watch is all original and right now it doesn't look like there is any ruboff at all. I will wait a few months to see if there is any tarnish before I decide on replating.

    Thanks for bearing with me. Last but not least, an early morning wrist shot:

    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

  • #2
    And this is it now.

    25243369394_de477d81ee_o by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

    P3170200 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr


    P3230166 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

    P3230163 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

    Comment


    • #3
      That's still stunning, Hank. Excellent work!
      I'm not the biggest fan of gold watches, but am amazed at how cool that looks. The brown dial, crystal markers, multi-texture NSA all form cohesive entity...sum greater than yada-yada.
      I don't mean to downplay the significance of this watch. I daresay it is among the rarest examples of an early Manhattan. Rado made 20,000 Ref. 11819s, but I cannot imagine they made more than 1000 of this version, if that many.
      It's a keeper!
      Last edited by Watch Carefully; 06-14-2018, 03:19 PM.
      Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

      Comment


      • #4
        Although I'm not a huge fan of the Manhattan on my wrist it is a great looking watch and I love that project Henry.
        Great find, the PB gremlins haven't got you!
        http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
          That's still stunning, Hank. Excellent work!
          I'm not the biggest fan of gold watches, but am amazed at how cool that looks. The brown dial, crystal markers, multi-texture NSA all form cohesive entity...sum greater than yada-yada.
          I don't mean to downplay the significance of this watch. I daresay it is among the rarest examples of an early Manhattan. Rado made 20,000 Ref. 11819s, but I cannot imagine they made more than 1000 of this version, if that many.
          It's a keeper!
          Thanks Brad. I think it is one of my best restorations. I do think this one is pretty uncommon. I have only ever seen a couple of others. I got this one from that woman from New York who's dad used to be a Rado AD. I also think the three row with Manhattan end links is really uncommon. The other 11819s I've seen have all been on 7 rows.
          Solve all your doubts through question mode.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by scottjc View Post
            Although I'm not a huge fan of the Manhattan on my wrist it is a great looking watch and I love that project Henry.
            Great find, the PB gremlins haven't got you!
            Thanks Scott. I don't know if I am lucky or if Photobucket changed their policies. I know they were pretty desperate to have me resign on for any pay level, which I declined to do.
            Solve all your doubts through question mode.

            Comment


            • #7
              Great restoration post Henry. I'm glad you found those photos as I wasn't around back then. While I'm ok with gold watches, I'd probably never choose that dial colour, but somehow in that shape, with the crystal markers, the combination is a knock out, it's a rare and wonderful watch.
              Last edited by Tim.; 06-14-2018, 09:01 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                That is a nice one Henry, do you still have it?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tim. View Post
                  Great restoration post Henry. I'm glad you found those photos as I wasn't around back then. While I'm ok with gold watches, I'd probably never choose that dial colour, but somehow in that shape, with the crystal markers, the combination is a knock out, it's a rare and wonderful watch.
                  Thanks Tim, there's a bit of a story behind this one, beyond my love for Manhattan's. I had seen one, maybe two, gp Manhattan's with the suede rust dial. It/ both of them were on 7 rows and I strongly suspected it was a redial. I even thought the two watches, sold years apart, might be the same one. One day a woman joined the forum seeking some advice on pricing her father's watches. She said he had been a Rado AD. She had some really bad photos and a pretty sad story. The forum gave her a bunch of advice and I tried helping her with her photos. She had a Diastar 0, a 6, a badly damaged 8, the Manhattan and maybe one or two others. We got to talking about the Manhattan and eventually I said that if I were to buy it based on her photos and the perceived condition I might give her about 30-40% of what I said she could get if she followed the forums advice. I also told her what I would likely do to it; replate, or use it for spares. She said she'd take my offer. So, I bought it, did that and sent her pictures even before I posted here. She sent me a note saying she cried when she saw it and she'd like to give me her Dad's Diastar 8 as a thank you. Turns out despite being smashed to bits it contained a spotless and beautifully serviced AS 1876 with a perfectly functioning pushbutton date advance.
                  Solve all your doubts through question mode.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JOSE G View Post
                    That is a nice one Henry, do you still have it?
                    Thanks Jose. I do and I wear it more than any of my stainless versions.
                    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
                      Turns out despite being smashed to bits it contained a spotless and beautifully serviced AS 1876 with a perfectly functioning pushbutton date advance.
                      Thanks for sharing that story Henry, I remember your post about this movement, it inspired me to search in my spare junk watches and I think I found that or a similar movement, and indeed, I believe the DS8 Jubilé I posted for Thursday in FF this week, shares that same movement and also has a functioning pushbutton date advance.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Tim. View Post

                        Thanks for sharing that story Henry, I remember your post about this movement, it inspired me to search in my spare junk watches and I think I found that or a similar movement, and indeed, I believe the DS8 Jubilé I posted for Thursday in FF this week, shares that same movement and also has a functioning pushbutton date advance.
                        It's really great for me. I still have my Diamaster 10, which uses the AS 1876 and of course I still have both of the ref 7624 Louis Rossels which also use that movement. A working spare of such a cranky movement is a rare find.
                        Solve all your doubts through question mode.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X