The 3, 6, 12 game revisited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 3, 6, 12 game revisited

I was having a discussion with Henry about favourite Rados and we decided that it might be a good idea to revisit this game from a few years ago.
    The idea is that you are only allowed 3, 6 or 12 watches from your Rado collection and you have to list them with reasons for choices. Strangely you may sometimes find that a watch from your 3 may not make it into your 12 but you're free to choose whatever you want for whatever reason makes sense to you.

I'll kick things off with my 3.
    Diastar Captain Cook. I've recently been returning to this as my 'do anything' watch. It is funky, unusual, has decent WR and can be worn from digging the garden to sitting in a restaurant.

WP_20170929_15_32_57_Pro (3).jpg

One of the first Rados I ever bought was a bad Golden Gate with an overpolished case and horrible dial, you may still find pictures of it here. I searched for years to find a good example and finally found the one that has pride of place in my collection. It is a very 'Rado' model in that the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts, from the case shape, multi-directional brushing and huge crystal to the comfort of a 7 row bracelet.

WP_20170726_19_09_06_Pro (3).jpg

With two fairly 'every day' watches I am going to select a piece of pure Rado funk for my third in the shape of the Balboa Breithorn. There's not much I can say about this watch that hasn't been discussed at length here over the years but it remains one of my favourite Balboa models.

WP_20170421_07_19_41_Pro (3).jpg

I will update with my choices for 6 and 12 shortly and hope that you will share your selections in the meantime.
    http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Sure, I'll play

My three.

I think I've chosen this watch first every time we've done this. The Hyperchrome Golden Horse Limited Edition. I still choose it for the same reason as ever. It is one of two watches in my collection that are nearly The One. The other is not a Rado, doesn't look all that good on a bracelet and at 42mm is a bit too big. The Hyperchrome needs better water resistance than 50m to be my only watch. I'd prefer good lume too, but that wouldn't really suit the GH so I could overlook that.

P5230155 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Every Rado collection needs at least one scratchproof. Even though the Hyperchrome GH is hardened steel, it isn't what I mean. I may still be the odd man out, but if it's only one, it is this one. 2002 40 Years of Diastar XL. Big, for a Diastar, beautiful and surprisingly understated, also for a Diastar.

PC210190 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Last but not least, every Rado collection needs some mid period lunacy. For me that is always, always, this.

P5170107 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Why? Because this:

P5170109 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; 06-13-2018, 04:00 PM.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Good choices Scott. I agree completely about your Golden Gate. It sits in the spot in your collection that the SpaceWing occupies in mine.

Comment

Interesting to see that, although we came up with different answers, we used similar logic for selecting our 3's Henry.
        I have very few watches that I feel the need to add to my collection at the moment but the Space Wing is certainly one.
        Nice choices, I look forward to seeing your others.

Comment

So my choice if I am allowed only 6 watches will include the first three plus the following.

Diastar '0'. This is the only Rado that I have ever worn on a leather strap. It is also one of the first Rados I ever bought, even thought I didn't realise the historical significance at the time. This is such an important watch for me as both a Rado collector and as a watch collector that it has to be in my group.

WP_20161113_07_29_32_Pro (3).jpg

I often describe the Diastar 40 as the prettiest watch I own. It is also the only Rado I have with a display back and I simply love it...

WP_20170806_17_32_47_Pro (3).jpg

To keep the balance I would need an NCC and to include what Henry referred to as 'mid period madness' it would have to be the NCC404.
          I adored this watch from the first picture I saw and waited a long time to get a good example. I was quite surprised at the size and thickness of it but it's one watch that is guaranteed to get noticed if worn in the right company.

WP_20170324_16_34_47_Pro (3).jpg

I've just realised that I have now selected six watches without a single mineral dial. Choosing my final 12 could be tricky...

Comment

I agree.

Originally posted by scottjc View Post
            Interesting to see that, although we came up with different answers, we used similar logic for selecting our 3's Henry.

Comment

I'll choose three...I'm not sure I have enough Rados anymore to do six or twelve!

The easy choices are my first Rado and my most rare: Manhattan and 56-H.

Photo by Sam (OneSound)

Strange as it may be for you chaps to read this, I might choose a FrankenRado as my third...I'm building this Diastar 2 Chronometer from parts of 3 watches which have seen better days:

Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

My six; the first three plus these. Mrs. K bought this for me on my 50th while we were enjoying a lovely holiday in Chicago. I love the stark quality of this piece. The Centrix was originally envisioned as a quartz only entry level Rado piece. The only auto version on the debut year was a last minute decision and is probably the reason it was presented without the rotating anchor. This also makes it a unique model for Rado. The bracelet is incredibly comfortable.

P3120122 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Sometime around here I would have to ask myself the question every vintage Rado collector must ask himself one day; Does my collection need a Manhattan? The answer is yes. I choose the Special Edition with the suede rust dial and crystals, not least because it is one of my best restorations.

P3230166 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Another dose of the mid-period madness. The gp NCC 404 on fishtail

P5110046 s by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
                Last edited by Henry Krinkle; 06-14-2018, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Stunning selection on show here gentlemen, and I will play along, but it's a bit of a process for me. I've been through the FF threads for the last 6 months and could do this on the basis of numbers gleaned from that , however while it does tell part of the story, I don't think it truly reflects the way I feel about my watches, so you'll have to be patient while I give it a little more thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
                    Stunning selection on show here gentlemen, and I will play along, but it's a bit of a process for me. I've been through the FF threads for the last 6 months and could do this on the basis of numbers gleaned from that , however while it does tell part of the story, I don't think it truly reflects the way I feel about my watches, so you'll have to be patient while I give it a little more thought.
                    It is difficult to make a choice Tim, sometimes it's logical, sometimes not.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
                      Yeah, I am not sure frequency of wear has too much to do with what one will or won't part with. It doesn't in my case.

Comment

My final six to make up the 12. The Diastar "0" has to be on my list, not only for it's historical significance but also like the gp Manhattan not least because of the amount of work I did to it.

a20090101_48 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

This watch has been getting a lot of wear lately and I think it is a perfect example of the Alpine models and the second design stream rado had during the mid to late 70s. It's hard to believe they were making the big clunky Companions and Conways at the same time they were building the super precise and clean Alpines.

P6050506 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

It's also interesting to note that while Rado rarely borrows from other designers two of the watches in my 12 do just that. Both the Brinezer and the Centrix show design cues belonging to the great Gerald Genta.

I'm slipping one more piece from Rado's glory days, or days of madness, into my 12. The gp NCC 303. I hated the 303 for years. I think it is blobby and ill defined in photos. It isn't that way though. In real life the warm gold case is a delight to study in low light.

PA220010 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

My collection also needs to give a nod to the Asian market srcatchprofs and to me the Balbo Great represents the other form of Rado madness: design over user friendliness. This is something I have always loved about Rado. The notion of putting a chronometer movement in a satin coloured watch with a silver chapter ring and silver hands, all under a faceted sapphire crystal has always delighted me. The Balbo Great speaks to me in the same way, but is much more extreme.

24309554197_748a98022f_k copy by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

There was a bit of a toss up for this spot, but ultimately Scott and I agree on this watch too.

PC310672 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Since my 12 seems to be a bit of a mini history of Rado and I probably have the biggest modern collection of any of the current members I have to include a ceramic watch, and I probably would regardless. Since I like the Balboa Great so much, one might think I'd settle on it's modern interpretation, the D-Star. But I haven't. I am going for an iconic 90s quartz design. I like the Ceramica way more than I probably should.

P2020122 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

And there you have it gents. My 3, 6, 12 untouchables. No Captain Cook, no Diastar 1 chronometer, no D-Star or D-200.

Comment

Ok, I'll have a go. Here's my 3.

My Blue 100m XL, cause If I can only have 3, 1 will have to be a waterproof general purpose watch and this watch fits the brief perfectly, it's great to look at and I'm always happy to wear it. (Henry, on this one, the numbers also agree, it's not the highest number of ff posts, it's 2nd, but the watch that is highest, was surprising to me)

DS40 LE. This watch I chose because I'd like to have a chronometer in the 3 and of the three chronometers I own, this one knocks it out of the park for looks and class, not to mention it's an LE. It took many attempts and a long time to catch this one.

My Ammolite Balboa. This one has to be in for so many reasons, it's a watch I never thought I'd be able to own, but somehow, the universe aligned to give me an opportunity, and after quite a bit of work, including a long search to find a company that could, and would re-plate the original bracelet, I was rewarded with this wonderful result. It's a unique feeling to wear this watch and look down at that fireworks dial, the 65 million year old fossil of a living creature.

Im adding these 3 classics to those above to make up my 6.

New Green Horse. This, because its a classic piece of watch design, so evocative of an earlier era , it was a favourite of Henrys, and is likewise with me.

02 model DS XL. From a 60s classic to a modern one, well, relatively modern anyway. This was one of 2 watches I bought as a consolation prize after one of my failed attempts to secure a DS40 LE. Im glad I missed that DS40, because this watch has a totally different look and feel to all my other Diastars. The size, modern hands, markers and subtly different shape combine to give it a truly individual character.

Balboa Cologny. This one because its a 70s classic, there should be a hand winder, it's thin, its square, it has funk, it has bling!........what more could you ask for?

OK, here's my final 6 to make up the 12. I must say that these were more difficult to choose than the first 6, I think because it becomes obvious how many great watches you're leaving out.

DS 0, we're 3 for 3 on this one too. It must be in, because this is the watch that put Rado on the map, without it, this forum and along with it, this online friendship and interest in these wonderful watches we all share, would cease to exist.

NCC 303. This because any Rado collection must contain an NCC, this is the best example I own, and although I don't wear it often, once on, its presence is immediately apparent. As Henry inferred, pictures don't necessarily do them justice, they are quite an imposing watch to wear and often elicit comment.

Diastar Accustar. I think there should be at least one example of a watch with quartz accuracy. The fact that this is mechanical as well as quartz, gives it the nod, that, and the fact that it is actually a great looking watch, a very cleverly conceived design, beautifully executed. This was also the surprise winner of the watch that I have posted most on FF this year.

DS 300m Diver. Since Im having 12 watches now, and I live in Australia, near the beach, and I often get wet during our long summer, I think I can allow myself the luxury of a dedicated dive watch. Whether you're getting it wet or not, it's a great looking watch.

Blue Linen Esel. I feel there should be an example of the Alpine models represented. This watch has a sentimental attachment as it was given to me by my son one Christmas. I think it has a very simple clean look to it, great combination of dial, hands and markers.

Aubergine Balboa. I agonized over this final spot, but I think this one deserves to be here. Theres just so much detail in this watch, the way the silver textured dial shimmers in the light, the blue stripes and fine lines that lift the hands, beautiful polished, ramped, hour markers, blue printed minute marks and Balboa with gold V, and add to that, a mesh bracelet that does amazing things with light. The combination of all these details topped off with an Aubergine shield is a true feast for the eyes. I could well have given my Great this spot, but the fact is, I like this one more.

a mesh bracelet that does amazing things with light
                          Last edited by Tim.; 06-16-2018, 02:40 AM.

Comment

That's a great 6 Tim. I can't say that I can argue with any of them. You are right about the New Green Horse. There is something about that watch in person that makes it more than it appears in photos. The Abalone and the Diastar XL are both great pieces. We are three for three on the DS 40.

Comment

Can't argue with any of the logic shown here guys. Tim's first 6 shows the quality collection you built in such a short time, there's rarity, practicality and pure funk shown in that 6.
                              Henry's only real surprise for me is the Ceramics, although I'm surprised that you, and I so far, have omitted certain models.
                              Right, I need to get thinking about my final 6...

Comment

Working...
                              X