Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone here obtain this 56-H Chronometre?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone here obtain this 56-H Chronometre?

s-l1600.jpg
    18k 1957-1961 series with comet image on case back.

I became aware of it rather late and didn't manage to get a bid in.
    It sold for a very modest sum.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wristwatch-...vip=true&rt=nc

Brad
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Wow! Someone strolled off with a bargain.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; 06-13-2018, 03:17 PM.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

I don't know much about this model, apart from that it is extremely rare. Is that price considered a bargain?
      http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Originally posted by scottjc View Post
        I don't know much about this model, apart from that it is extremely rare. Is that price considered a bargain?
        I would say Yes. It's a pretty well preserved example of a real rarity. Rado made (according to one published source) 911 chronometers between 1957 and 1968 (presumably when they began issuing Diastar chronometers). They included two basic types of 56-H (this and a later date version in all metals) and the steel-only one with the Mido-like Chronometer script applied to the dial. Any Rado in 18k is a pretty rare item, but one of the 18k chronometers is more so. I would say the watch above is worth at least $1000, so the sale price was quite favorable to the buyer. I know a chap who bought one of these for $1200 recently. Considering the recent trend (not to ignore previous spikes in gold prices) for gold hoarders to melt the cases and discard the movements (note, Marcus, Mike and I all have 56-H dial/movement assemblies as a result of this practice), and attrition over the years, one can assume quite a few of these early 18k models have not survived. Even the gold-plated examples are rare (perhaps made in fewer numbers) and we have only confirmed one or two steel 56-H examples.

I sure hope an EOTian bought it.

Comment

Nowadays $700 for any solid gold watch is a bit of a bargain, let alone a nice, uncommon chronometer.

Originally posted by scottjc View Post

Comment

Another one closed on eBay.de today:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263803864276?ul_noapp=true

Nice one, pretty decent price...not a huge bargain, but not full value, either, IMO.
            Note that it hasn't been polished, doesn't have a lot of scrapes around the case back, and the image is nice and crisp.
            Also, this has the top=of-the-line 30j movement, which appears pristine.
            Crown looks kinda crappy and they didn't show it straight-on. I am curious whether it is a replacement.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
              Wow! Someone strolled off with a bargain.
              Certainly a bargain if it's solid 18k and maybe a fair price anyway if it's plated, owing to it's rarity. The seller doesn't claim it's 18k and this damage around the crystal makes me wonder if it's plated.

s-l1600.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post

Certainly a bargain if it's solid 18k and maybe a fair price anyway if it's plated, owing to it's rarity. The seller doesn't claim it's 18k and this damage around the crystal makes me wonder if it's plated.

s-l1600.jpg
                I don't think there has ever been a plated 56-H, only steel and solid gold. Check the listing on that one. It has the gold caseback.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post

I don't think there has ever been a plated 56-H, only steel and solid gold. Check the listing on that one. It has the gold caseback.
                  Yes, both of the eBay examples shown above were 18k, verifiable by the inside case back (or its style) if not the seller's description.

There was a gold-plated version, with steel caseback. Very rare. Shown below, I also posted an example in the 56-H thread and will try to find more info for my upcoming article. Note this is a slightly different case back than seen on the all-steel version.
                  Gold-plated 56-H Mk II back.jpg
                  Last edited by Watch Carefully; 07-16-2018, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Hi!

Bargains, indeed, both of them.
                    The 56-H chronometers are rare and both of them have solid 18kt gold cases.
                    Meanwhile, Ive seen "normal" 14kt Rado dresswatches sold for 800 - 1.000 .
                    Best regards, Mike
                    vintage-rado.de

Comment

This is what they normally cost:
                      https://www.ebay.de/itm/-/3327426551...2047675.l10137

Best regards, Mike
                      vintage-rado.de

Comment

Originally posted by mike184 View Post
                        Did that one finally sell, Mike? I saw it on eBay previously.
                        A nice example, despite the excessive personalisation.

Comment

No, not in the bay, but maybe elsewhere,
                          Its not listed there a second time.
                          Must have been the first price of a regional sport championship in Bielefeld in 1960.
                          No idea what "R.V." means.
                          Best regards, Mike
                          vintage-rado.de

Comment

Working...
                          X