Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone here obtain this 56-H Chronometre?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone here obtain this 56-H Chronometre?

s-l1600.jpg
    18k 1957-1961 series with comet image on case back.

I became aware of it rather late and didn't manage to get a bid in.
    It sold for a very modest sum.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wristwatch-...vip=true&rt=nc

Brad
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Wow! Someone strolled off with a bargain.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; 06-13-2018, 03:17 PM.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

I don't know much about this model, apart from that it is extremely rare. Is that price considered a bargain?
      http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Originally posted by scottjc View Post
        I don't know much about this model, apart from that it is extremely rare. Is that price considered a bargain?
        I would say Yes. It's a pretty well preserved example of a real rarity. Rado made (according to one published source) 911 chronometers between 1957 and 1968 (presumably when they began issuing Diastar chronometers). They included two basic types of 56-H (this and a later date version in all metals) and the steel-only one with the Mido-like Chronometer script applied to the dial. Any Rado in 18k is a pretty rare item, but one of the 18k chronometers is more so. I would say the watch above is worth at least $1000, so the sale price was quite favorable to the buyer. I know a chap who bought one of these for $1200 recently. Considering the recent trend (not to ignore previous spikes in gold prices) for gold hoarders to melt the cases and discard the movements (note, Marcus, Mike and I all have 56-H dial/movement assemblies as a result of this practice), and attrition over the years, one can assume quite a few of these early 18k models have not survived. Even the gold-plated examples are rare (perhaps made in fewer numbers) and we have only confirmed one or two steel 56-H examples.

I sure hope an EOTian bought it.

Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Nowadays $700 for any solid gold watch is a bit of a bargain, let alone a nice, uncommon chronometer.

Originally posted by scottjc View Post
          Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Working...
          X