Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Rado Forum at Loggerheads...or, how Scott and Brad spent their Friday evening.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That gathering looked like a lot of fun, it takes you to another world at least for a while.

Comment

To be honest, I wasn't worried about making my train as I knew there were later trains I could get. Brad's train was more critical and was due 6 minutes after mine so I always had that 'wiggle room' in mind as we strode towards the station.
      http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
        [B]

Contrast this to Scott, native Englishman, whose vast experience of chippies and corner shops far exceeds my own, and who admitted a a bit of over-indulgence during his formative years, who has never eaten a Doner Kebab. No explanation was forthcoming. I submit to you, the forum: we must solve this mystery.

GettyImages-162432718.0.jpg
        Scott, I must say I find this somewhat perplexing, Doner Kebabs were definitely the food of choice for a 3am feed after a big night of clubbing it when I was misspending my youth. They are a little different here though, they still have the thin slices of nondescript meat, but there's usually tabbouleh and hummus in there too and it's rolled in Lebanese bread and usually made by people of Lebanese descent , bloody delicious and just the thing when you're ravenous after a few too many. They also come in lamb and chicken here, the lamb pieces are spit roasted on skewers and the combination with tabbouleh, hummus salad and chili sauce is sublime, we'll have to get you into it mate.

The Kebab rolls we get here look more like this, I think this one's chicken.
        Chicken-Doner-Kebab-2-680x1020.jpg
        Last edited by Tim.; 06-11-2018, 05:02 AM.

Comment

I've eaten a chicken kebab like the one in your picture Tim, just never a doner kebab.

510h6dhYzXL[4857].jpg

Comment

Originally posted by scottjc View Post
            i've eaten a chicken kebab like the one in your picture tim, just never a doner kebab.

510h6dhYzXL[4857].jpg
            Now that IS funny......and when you think about it, so much easier to transport than a Hammond C3.
            Last edited by Tim.; 06-11-2018, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post

Now that IS funny......and when you think about it, so much easier to transport than a Hammond C3.
              I think I'd rather have food than a Hammond organ...

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post

Very funny stuff, fellas! Love it.
                Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Well, the two of you certainly had fun and packed a lot into one afternoon. That is wonderful! What a marvellous way to end your trip off Brad.
                  Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

More fool you Brad, there's plenty that can go wrong when I'm navigating...
                    Here's my wrong turn story.

Mrs. K and I are in Indianapolis for the 2006 US Grand Prix. We meet some friends from Toronto and another from Washington and spend the race weekend together. For the only time in our life we stay at a bed and breakfast. It is in this historic, pre-Civil War, rich persons neighbourhood. The city itself is the worst place I have ever voluntarily gone. There's this hip area that is "straight down the road" from us. It's not exactly straight though. When you hit Speedway Boulevard, which does take you to the Speedway, you have to jog right at the Kroger's. We go out to Broadripple, the hipster part of town and walk along the waterway. It's dusk and we get the spotlight from police choppers three or four times. We make it to Broadripple and have a pretty wonderful meal at a place and eventually head back home. I am in the jump seat as navigator.

Bob says: "Which way?' as we approach the Kroger's.
                    I say: " The map says jog left, but we jogged right on the way down. That can't be right."

Bob turns left like the map says, ignoring my suggestion that right one way should mean right the other too.

If all goes well, we'll be back in the historic North Side right beside President Harrison's House.

Benjamin_Harrison_Home.jpg

One block in, we get this. Keep in mind it is now the middle of the night.

ghetto.jpg

No streetlights, no windows in any house and bullet holes in EVERYTHING.
                    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; 06-11-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                      PART 3. A not-so-quick pint...

At the Dun Cow, I showed Scott another watch which means a lot to me: my RGM TZLE. He was pleased to examine it and, though it is a little smaller than he prefers, he was amazed by its thinness. Also, he explained it represents 'the next level up' of watch collecting, and was quite an interesting piece as such. Here's the photo he shared earlier:

7.5mm thickness juxtaposed with ~13mm?
                      Opinions on the TZLE Scott?

Comment

The Doner kebab, gyro debate rages on. Brad we have Gyros here too, but they are generally nowhere near as good as the Donair, which is what we call that mystery meat thing. Canadian donair are generally made by the Lebanese and can be found at any self respecting Shwarama/ falafel hut. Our version is somewhat simple and direct. Mystery meat, cucumber yoghurt sauce, chopped tomato, chopped raw onion, cayenne pepper. donair.jpg

This one is not quite right. The pita should be split to form a pocket. Everything is put inside and then it is rolled up or folded over.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post

Opinions on the TZLE Scott?
                          A beautiful piece Henry. A little small for every day wear for me, as I commented to Brad at the time, but the craftsmanship is immediately apparent.
                          That Brad had it on a mesh bracelet was very attractive, I know that changing it to a leather strap would completely alter the look and feel but I'm not sure how that would sit with me.

Comment

The chicken/doner kebabs sold near here are often in naan bread instead of pitta.
                            I can imagine a certain bunch of guests arriving Chez Scott and me planning a sumptuous feast to celebrate only for me to be sent down the road for half a dozen kebabs and chips...

Comment

The chicken/doner kebabs sold near here are often in naan bread instead of pitta.
                              I can imagine a certain bunch of guests arriving Chez Scott and me planning a sumptuous feast to celebrate only for me to be sent down the road for half a dozen kebabs and chips...
                              Funnily enough I had chicken kebab and naan with the Yorkshireman on Friday night.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post

Funnily enough I had chicken kebab and naan with the Yorkshireman on Friday night.
                                A meal fit for a king! You'd certainly fit in around here.

Comment

Working...
                                X