Disappointed in ''Complete price guide to WATCHES 2012''

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointed in ''Complete price guide to WATCHES 2012''

The other day I saw a very cheap copy available and place the order, what a disappointment only two Rados made it into its pages and one of them was a doctors style doble watch from 1938, that can not be right.

Those authors focus on US-made watches, and the big Swiss names like Omega.
    Ever visit Gisbert Joseph's site? Same sort of thing--Rado isn't on the radar of most big-time sellers in the trade.
    My experience with the Shugart book is that the prices represent what a dealer will pay, not actual market value of the watches depicted.

That 1930s doctors-style watch is a confirmed early Rado. Mike can tell us more, I think.
    Bruce Shawkey mentioned it in an addendum to his article--posted here on EOT and accessible from the Rado Resource Thread.
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 05-11-2018, 10:03 AM.
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

So many underrepresented brands in those things. As Brad says they only concentrate on the big names. Scott's source at Rado said that even Rado weren't aware of much interest in vintage Rados amongst collector's.
      Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
        So many underrepresented brands in those things. As Brad says they only concentrate on the big names. Scott's source at Rado said that even Rado weren't aware of much interest in vintage Rados amongst collector's.
        You're right Henry, he said that they don't consider themselves as a collectors brand. I find this statement amazing, especially when coming from somebody so high up in the organisation.
        http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Hi!

Maybe not high enough in the organisation ...
          I can confirm you that Rado CEO Matthias Breschan is very aware about the interest of watch collectors in vintage Rados.
          One of the reasons they make reissues and new interpretations (Cape Horn, Captain Cook Mk I and II) of classical models
          or new designs inspired by classical ones (Tradition 1965).
          And thatīs been already in 2013 when I met him at Baselworld. And why should they have invited me, a vintage Rado collector with a HP
          about vintage Rados, to visit and meet them if they hadnīt been aware about the interest of the watch collectors in their brand?
          And for many years already, Rado is creating limited (anniversary/jubilee) editions with special designs, almost thought for collectors.

Radoīs way from an underrated to a collectorīs brand is also logical.
          The number of watch collectors worldwide is increasing and the classical high image brands as Rolex, PP, Omega etc. were sought after
          in a way that their price increase for vintages.had been tremendous. So watch collectors with lower budgets looked for the next brands in the charts.
          And Rado is on top of them.
          When I started collecting Rados around 2006, you could buy vintage Rados in good condition for around 20, 30 € in the Bay.
          Meanwhile you almost need at least a "0" more and for some special models itīs not enough.
          Look at the tremendous prices for a CC MkI meanwhile - and they sell for that.
          Iīm curious about the development of prices in the future.
          And Iīm glad that I bought my collection almost in a time it didnīt cost a fortune.

BTW, the prices for the two listed Rados are ridiculous. You will neither get a 1938 Doctorīs Watch for 950 US$, nor a 1961 GP dresswatch
          for 75 US$ in good condition.

M1 others i xs.jpg

Last edited by mike184; 05-12-2018, 08:05 AM.
          Best regards, Mike
          vintage-rado.de

Comment

Originally posted by mike184 View Post
            Maybe not high enough in the organisation ...
            I can confirm you that Rado CEO Matthias Breschan is very aware about the interest of watch collectors in vintage Rados.

While not CEO, my contact is VP of Marketing so would certainly have a view of how the brand see themselves.
            There's a difference between being aware of, and having an interest in, their history and seeing the brand at the same level as Seiko, etc when it comes to collectors.
            My own experience as a collector is that Rado is extremely undervalued by the collecting community and, while their reputation may be improving, there is still a long way to go.
            http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Originally posted by scottjc View Post
              My own experience as a collector is that Rado is extremely undervalued by the collecting community and, while their reputation may be improving, there is still a long way to go.
              Sadly, I have to agree with you 100%

Comment

Working...
              X