Rado Modern Chronometer COSC Research Information Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RaDoHeAd View Post
    Actually, I'm beginning to question this model. Is it really a jubile? Or its using some crystal again? Dial does not make mention it is a jubile, and I don't see a diamond certificate with what pictures of its packaging has.
    Originally posted by Tim. View Post
    If it doesn't say Jubilé on the dial then it's not a Jubilé and they're not diamonds. It's a Rado Sintra Chronometer and the markers are Swarovski crystals.

Not necessarily true with current editions. As I have previously mentioned, not all modern Rados with diamonds have Jubilé on the dial. Starting in 2011 with the introduction of the Centrix, possibly even earlier, there have been numerous diamond dialed Rados with no Jubilé on the dial. Currently there are diamond options on Centrix, Integrals and Hyperchromes with no indication on the dials. Additionally that looks like Rado's diamond setting, not their crystal setting.

Integral
    https://www.rado.com/collections/rad...-0115302173071

Esenza
    https://www.rado.com/collections/rad...-0127700933171

Florence
    https://www.rado.com/collections/rad...-0111138712071

Coupole classic
    https://www.rado.com/collections/rad...-0156138624174

Coupole
    https://www.rado.com/collections/rad...-0121938532192

Centrix
    https://www.rado.com/collections/rad...-0156109423070

True Thinline
    https://www.rado.com/collections/rad...-0142007423072

True- I've tried this one on.
    https://www.rado.com/collections/rad...-0176300563087

Ceramica
    https://www.rado.com/collections/cer...-0156108073070

Diamaster
    https://www.rado.com/collections/dia...-0177201383470

Hyperchrome
    https://www.rado.com/collections/rad...-0158001773030

So currently the only two models that do not offer multiple diamond dial options without any indication on the dial are the Original and the Sintra and I know the Sintra has been offered that way.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; 02-09-2018, 03:34 PM.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
      Not necessarily true with current editions. As I have previously mentioned, not all modern Rados with diamonds have Jubilé on the dial. Starting in 2011 with the introduction of the Centrix, possibly even earlier, there have been numerous diamond dialed Rados with no Jubilé on the dial. Currently there are diamond options on Centrix, Integrals and Hyperchromes with no indication on the dials. Additionally that looks like Rado's diamond setting, not their crystal setting.
      So currently the only two models that do not offer multiple diamond dial options without any indication on the dial are the Original and the Sintra and I know the Sintra has been offered that way.
      Sorry Henry, I must've missed that thread, suffice to say that Rado has changed the ground rules once again, no surprise there. One wonders what's the point of having a Jubilé model any more, perhaps only that no diamonds isn't an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
        Sorry Henry, I must've missed that thread, suffice to say that Rado has changed the ground rules once again, no surprise there. One wonders what's the point of having a Jubilé model any more, perhaps only that no diamonds isn't an option.
        They do like to mess with people. I think my Centrix is still the only post post early 60s auto without a rotating anchor, but it was a test case. They were trying to drop it altogether. That would be a huge mistake in my opinion, but I like it on my Centrix.

I told Rado so and also told them to put it back.

Comment

Rado Sintra XXL "Rose Gold" Chronometer

Name: Rado Sintra XXL "Rose Gold" Chronometer
          Place Sold: Worldwide
          Limited Edition: No.
          Year Produced: Early 2007. Still on Rado's official website up to 2011.

Versions: 1

PIC-Code: R13663162
          Reference#: 629.0663.3

Movement: 2892-A2
          Dimensions: 44mm
          Family: Sintra
          Clear Case Back: Yes
          Case Back: Screwed
          Lume: No

Description: The sister of the Rado Sintra Chronometer XXL Diamonds, this model trades in the jewels for more accurate time keeping by having white minute markers. If only one can have the best of both worlds (diamonds and the minute markers), but alas, you'd have to choose one model or the other or get both.

"The rose gold coloring of the Sintra XXL Chronometer is designed to provide a visually pleasing interplay with the black ceramic case and bracelet. The case back is made of sapphire crystal set in hi-tech ceramics, through which the rose gold chronometer movement is visible. The hour markings are in rose gold and placed on the edge of the lightly curved sapphire crystal, allowing optical enlargement of the gently barrel-shaped case."

The Rado Sintra was first produced in 1993. It represented a major milestone for Rado. From Rado's website:
          "The Sintra was the first Rado model to use a titanium carbide based composite, an advanced form of hardmetal that is much more lightweight. This materials innovation expanded Rado’s colour palette without sacrificing its minimalistic design. The dial, reduced to its basic functional elements, appears clear, tidy and precise. Through a subtle contrast in colour, the square bezel, flanked by a gently tapered bracelet, provides a fitting frame for the slightly elongated rectangular dial."

So all Rado Sintra chronometers only come in XXL size (44mm width).

Dial is black, with rose gold markers and hands. Black on black ceramic case and links.

Case back is transparent as well, which displays the beautiful 2892-A2 movement inside.

Why is it so special: Proper minute markers a rarity with Rado Sintra chronometers. Great because this is a chronometer after all.

What's hot: Rose gold was in with Rado before Apple made it in.

What's not: Sintra links are known to have the tendency to shatter. A large watch that may not look too good on smaller wrists. Some people consider the Sintra as "only" a dress watch.
          Chronometers are accurate in time keeping. The markers are only for the hour. Say someone hot comes up to you asking you for the time. You look at this watch, and go, "oh its between quarter to diamond and the diamond o clock."

Comments: Still can be bought brand new with various retailers. Some places report the width to be 35mm, but it is really 44mm, like all other Sintra XXL chronometers
          Last edited by RaDoHeAd; 02-26-2018, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Rado Sintra XXL "Rose Gold" Chronometer - Gallery

PIC-Code: R13663162
            Reference#: 629.0663.3

See Brad's Post (#5) for press shots.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by RaDoHeAd; 02-25-2018, 12:43 PM.

Comment

There are currently no automatic Sintras offered by Rado, but the Sintra line has not been discontinued. There are about 10 variants of mens and womens still offered directly from Rado. The end may well be in sight as these appear to have been designed a few years ago, but it is not yet here.

Comment

There are currently no automatic Sintras offered by Rado, but the Sintra line has not been discontinued. There are about 10 variants of mens and womens still offered directly from Rado. The end may well be in sight as these appear to have been designed a few years ago, but it is not yet here.
                Ah gotcha, thanks Henry, will update the info to reflect that. Should be as accurate as possible. Any consensus if the sister model really used diamonds or not? Still can't find pictures of the packaging with the diamond certificate to prove it.

Comment

Ah gotcha, thanks Henry, will update the info to reflect that. Should be as accurate as possible. Any consensus if the sister model really used diamonds or not? Still can't find pictures of the packaging with the diamond certificate to prove it.
                  No proof. I suspect that they are real. Have you tried a query to Rado? They should be able to tell us.

Comment

Here's its packaging. I know nothing of Rado Integrals. To me that box looks like it can hold someone's ashes.

Oh yeah, case width is 30mm without crown, so 32mm with crown?
                    Just saw this now. It could well be. That is unique packaging. Also, that is the XL.

Comment

No proof. I suspect that they are real. Have you tried a query to Rado? They should be able to tell us.
                      I'll try querying Rado over the weekend. Let's see what they have to say.

Comment

Just saw this now. It could well be. That is unique packaging. Also, that is the XL.
                        Ok, I'll try and look for the rest of the packaging... I mean, if its actually a chronometer, there should be a chronometer card right, regardless of whether or not it displays it as such on the dial?

Comment

Integral Chronometer(?) pics

PIC-Code: R20692102
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by RaDoHeAd; 02-12-2018, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Ok, I'll try and look for the rest of the packaging... I mean, if its actually a chronometer, there should be a chronometer card right, regardless of whether or not it displays it as such on the dial?
                            Rado does still give, or did give, COSC certificates/cards when the Integral chronometer was issued, so it should have a COSC certificate/card. When I had the movement in my Diastar 40 replaced in 2012(?), Rado issued me a new COSC card for it, rather than the old style certificate.

Comment

Rado does still give, or did give, COSC certificates/cards when the Integral chronometer was issued, so it should have a COSC certificate/card. When I had the movement in my Diastar 40 replaced in 2012(?), Rado issued me a new COSC card for it, rather than the old style certificate.
                              I wished Rado would just replace my movement then and offer me the lost certificate I so sought after.

I think that picture is all this Integral comes with, so it has no COSC card I'm afraid. Maybe its another Integral model or does it really look like that one? That one is on sale at Ashford for less than 600$ if it was a chronometer in disguise, it'd be a friggin' awesome helluva deal. If it isn't, meh.

Comment

Rado Sintra XXL Skeleton Chronometer

Name: Rado Sintra XXL Skeleton Chronometer
                                Place sold: Worldwide
                                Limited Edition: Promised, x/111 per version, two versions supposedly lumped to x/222, Rado may have produced more than originally planned. Back plate of production model has no limited edition and numbering stamped on it. Need to find Special Edition card pictures to verify.
                                Year Produced: 2010-2012

Versions: 2

Gold
                                PIC-Code: R13668152
                                Reference#: 656.0908.3.015

Matte Black
                                PIC-Code: R13669152
                                Reference#: 656.0909.3.015

Movement: 2892-S2
                                Dimensions: 44mm
                                Family: Sintra
                                Clear Case Back: Yes
                                Case Back: Screwed
                                Lume: No

Description: The Rado Sintra was first produced in 1993. It represented a major milestone for Rado. From Rado's website:
                                "The Sintra was the first Rado model to use a titanium carbide based composite, an advanced form of hardmetal that is much more lightweight. This materials innovation expanded Rado’s colour palette without sacrificing its minimalistic design. The dial, reduced to its basic functional elements, appears clear, tidy and precise. Through a subtle contrast in colour, the square bezel, flanked by a gently tapered bracelet, provides a fitting frame for the slightly elongated rectangular dial."

So all Rado Sintra chronometers only come in XXL size (44mm width).

Rado took the tried and true ETA 2892-A2 movement and skeletonized it, adding gorgeous decorations and placing it into the Sintra case. This marked Rado's first use of their exclusive 2892-S2 movement. It is surprising that with such a gorgeous movement, Rado did not make a bigger splash out of it. Most descriptions call it a skeletonized 2892-A2 made by Rado exclusive to Rado. Other watch companies have touted their movements as "in-house" and made a way bigger deal out of it even if they did less work than Rado did with this. This is one of two Rado chronometer models known to use this movement, as if to homologate their gorgeous movement. Subsequent 2892-S2s used by Rado are not chronometer certified anymore.

Case back is transparent as well, which displays the beautiful 2892-S2 movement inside, giving a view of the movement not only from the backside, but also the front side. Who doesn't like something that looks great on all angles? Many a Hollywood star can't say the same about themselves.

There were tow versions of this model, one with gold accents looking more opulent and classy, and the other one with matte black accents for a stealthier look.

Why is it so special: Rare 2892-S2 movement in a Sintra case.

What's hot: Just look at it, it is simply beautiful. Described as, "It’s spectacular to see in person, it looks like a Richard Mille (at about 1/100th the price)". Represents unparalleled beauty at a very very reasonable price to to this day, not matched by Rado's competitors.

What's not: Not sure about what happened with regards to this being a limited edition. Press shots had it marked as x/111 per version. Rado may have back tracked on it.

Sintra links are known to have the tendency to shatter. A large watch that may not look too good on smaller wrists. Some people consider the Sintra as "only" a dress watch.

Comments: Need limited edition card pic to authenticate that this is indeed a limited edition model.
                                Last edited by RaDoHeAd; 02-26-2018, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X