New to the vintage Rado world

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the vintage Rado world

Hi all, I'm new to vintage watches and decided to pick up a Rado Green Horse as my first. I don't actually have it yet since I just won the auction and yesterday. Can you guys tell me what year this green horse is from and if it's original? It would suck if I picked up a Franken-Rado. The ref. no. is 606.3253.4 with an ETA 2878 movement.s-l400.jpgs-l400 (1).jpgs-l400 (2).jpgs-l400 (3).jpg

Hi Cheecab,

welcome to the Rado Forum at EOT.

To me that Green Horse looks legit.
    I had the same model some years ago. The only difference was the black translucent black sunburst dial, the rest was identical like the hands, the white Day/date wheel and the 17 jewel ETA 2878 movement.
    Everything on yours seems to be in excellent condition except the case back. It looks like it has been treatened with sandpaper to remove the scratches around the case opening notches.
    Hopefully the bracelet still is the original with the double signed clasp.
    Looking forward to some pics when it arrived.
    Cheers,
    Pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.

Comment

Originally posted by pimpclinic.v.s.o.p. View Post
      Hi Cheecab,

welcome to the Rado Forum at EOT.

To me that Green Horse looks legit.
      I had the same model some years ago. The only difference was the black translucent black sunburst dial, the rest was identical like the hands, the white Day/date wheel and the 17 jewel ETA 2878 movement.
      Everything on yours seems to be in excellent condition except the case back. It looks like it has been treatened with sandpaper to remove the scratches around the case opening notches.
      Hopefully the bracelet still is the original with the double signed clasp.
      Looking forward to some pics when it arrived.
      Cheers,
      Thanks for the quick reply. I started reading all the stories about Franken-Rados/fakes and it started worrying me a bit. Hopefully the case back looks better in person. If it's just the caseback issue, though, it's not too big of a deal. Here's a picture of the clasp...s-l400 (4).jpg

Comment

Welcome!

I have some detail on that model...

Purple Horse 606.3253.4. Made from 1983 to 1985 1,500 made Steel case & bracelet, silver dial

It's a pretty low-production model but, to put that in perspective, it is one of many, many Horse models Rado produced in the 1980s...totalling more than 225,000.
        Congrats--yours looks very clean.
        Brad
        Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
          Welcome!

I have some detail on that model...

Purple Horse 606.3253.4. Made from 1983 to 1985 1,500 made Steel case & bracelet, silver dial

It's a pretty low-production model but, to put that in perspective, it is one of many, many Horse models Rado produced in the 1980s...totalling more than 225,000.
          Congrats--yours looks very clean.
          Brad
          Thanks for the info. One small problem...my dial says green horse.

Comment

Originally posted by CeeCab1181 View Post
            Thanks for the info. One small problem...my dial says green horse.
            How did I not notice that?
            I would expect it is a typo and should read Green Horse. I'll take another look at my database--I think the gold-plated version of that reference is a Green Horse.
            I don't think this is a reason to suspect anything wrong with your watch.
            Brad

Comment

How did I not notice that?
              I would expect it is a typo and should read Green Horse. I'll take another look at my database--I think the gold-plated version of that reference is a Green Horse.
              I don't think this is a reason to suspect anything wrong with your watch.
              Brad
              Hello and welcome CeeCab, it looks OK to me. I have seen both Purple and Green Horse models with this ref. It seems Marcus also had one and yours looks to be the same model Green Horse as the others I've seen with that ref. number. I haven't been able to see the 3 digit date code on any of these movements so far, perhaps it post dates that practice. I would agree with Brad probably early to mid 80's. When you get the watch, perhaps you can see if the movement has a code like "306" somewhere on it, the second 2 digits will run 01-12 and the first 0-9. This will give us a more accurate idea of the date.

Comment

Very good info from all of you guys. I will post better pictures once I receive it, and also, I will ask the watchmaker to see if he can dig up any numbers from the movement.
                Thanks,
                CeeCab705

Comment

As far as I can tell the watch has been refurbished. I think the watch must have been in very good condition to start because there are no rounded edges anywhere on the case. As was stated before, the caseback is the only thing that looks like it received heavier treatment. The dial looks perfect, and the only thing showing some wear is the minute hand, which looks like some of the lume paint has worn off a bit.
                  So far, I have re-sized the bracelet and worn it for 24hr. I didn't wind as to not cause any damage to the entire movement. It turns out that in its first 24 hrs. With me it is at -4.5 spd. Do you guys think I should still take this to a watchmaker?
                  Edit: the only marking on the clasp are the Rado, and stelux on the folding part.
                  More pics...20180125_170439-873x1164.jpg20180125_170558-873x1164.jpg20180125_170516-873x1164.jpg20180125_170719_HDR-873x1164-829x1105.jpg20180126_125903-936x1248.jpg
                  Last edited by CeeCab1181; 01-26-2018, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Hi!

Sorry, I donīt like to bring bad news, but I think this is a Franken, assembled with original parts.
                    Some Horse models (Green, Purple, Golden, ...) have nearly the same design, so the parts are interchangeable.
                    The case is heavily grinded to remove scratches. The top and also the sides of the case, afterwards bezel and a crystal were remounted.
                    The bezel should cover the whole case, but it "comes through the sides" because of the missing material.
                    Thatīs why the edges are crisp (again). The original case should be polished like the bezel, or just lightly bursted.
                    So it makes sense, that the reference number is from a Purple Horse, just the dial or dial and movement are from a Green Horse.
                    Nothing unusual, lots of these "refubished" watches are on the market.
                    And I think nearly all of us, including me, once have bought a Franken-Rado.
                    Best regards, Mike
                    vintage-rado.de

Comment

That stinks! Oh well, I'm still fairly happy with it. I'll just wear this thing regularly and not worry too much about what happens to it.

Comment

Originally posted by mike184 View Post
                        The bezel should cover the whole case, but it "comes through the sides" because of the missing material.
                        Hi guys,
                        I cannot refute Mike's entire argument, but I am not convinced that there wasn't some bezel overlap on the original case. I've seen many instances where there is a bit of the bezel peeking over the side of the case band (a pocket-watch term from way back, describing the centre part of the case to which the bezel and back are attached). Here is a mid-1960s Green Horse for example:

I believe it is in 100% original condition, and it clearly shows a recess for the bezel which is exposed by the sculpted sides of the case band .
                        I am sure I've had others, and will take a look to see if I have photos that exhibit this tendency.
                        I cannot answer the question of the Purple versus Green designation. I do understand Mike's conviction that this isn't exactly right--there are untold numbers of non-factory Rados built from compatible original parts.

Comment

Originally posted by mike184 View Post
                          Hi guys,
                          I cannot refute Mike's entire argument, but I am not convinced that there wasn't some bezel overlap on the original case. I've seen many instances where there is a bit of the bezel peeking over the side of the case band (a pocket-watch term from way back, describing the centre part of the case to which the bezel and back are attached). Here is a mid-1960s Green Horse for example:

I believe it is in 100% original condition, and it clearly shows a recess for the bezel which is exposed by the sculpted sides of the case band .
                          I am sure I've had others, and will take a look to see if I have photos that exhibit this tendency.
                          I cannot answer the question of the Purple versus Green designation. I do understand Mike's conviction that this isn't exactly right--there are untold numbers of non-factory Rados built from compatible original parts.
                          Hi Brad, I had a bit of a look around last night, after seeing Mike's post and found numerous examples of this bezel "cut out" on the side of x...... Horse watches, and whilst I don't disagree that this watch has been refinished, I'm not convinced that this feature of the bezel dipping into the side isn't part of the original design of some of these watches. Here's another 2 examples I downloaded.

070703-07-2.JPGDSC_0024k.jpg

Comment

Yes, good finds, Tim!
                            To me it looks like Rado did a good job having the case milled into a seat for the bezel, while maintaining a slim profile and avoiding clunky angles (like some Tissots I've seen from the same era). I agree that over-polishing or poor refinishing can accentuate this and look out of place...but if the bezel is still round it means that whoever did the work had the good sense to remove it first.

Comment

It's off to the watchmaker getting the movement overhauled. I told him to write down any numbers he can find on it. I'm still happy with it even though it isn't quite what I expected. I also decided that I'm going to put it on a black leather strap since my tiny wrists dont deal well with bracelets.
                              Thanks again for all the help. This was a good learning experience, and thankfully, one that didn't cost me too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X