Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your first 'proper' watch

I can remember my first 'proper' watch.
    I was 9 and I saved all my pocket money to buy it, but even so my Mum had to bail me out because i didnt quite have enough.
    It was a brand new Ingersoll Jump hour with a blue face, SS case and SS strap and i thought it was amazing.
    So with that in mind what was your first 'proper' watch?

Originally posted by Grantag View Post
    I can remember my first 'proper' watch.
    I was 9 and I saved all my pocket money to buy it, but even so my Mum had to bail me out because i didnt quite have enough.
    It was a brand new Ingersoll Jump hour with a blue face, SS case and SS strap and i thought it was amazing.
    So with that in mind what was your first 'proper' watch?
    Age 31, I bought this:

Amazing piece of kit for a first watch.

Honestly, I had a few watches as a child, but nothing I would consider a milestone acquisition.
    I used a Timex ana-digi for several years (early 1990s?), which I liked quite a bit but, although it was functionally useful, it was pretty much soulless compared to the hundreds I've bought since.
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Like Brad I wore watches as a child but didn't get my first 'decent' watch until my early 30's.
      Last year I had this cleaned and serviced by Tag Heuer and gifted it to my nephew for his 18th birthday. A much better use for it than gather dust in a cupboard.

WP_20170310_12_24_08_Pro_LI (4).jpg
      http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

My first "proper" watch was a Sears branded automatic direct read watch.

I admit I have been looking at direct read watches for more than a while now...

Also, in the regret column, I really regret not buying one of Rainer Neinaber's direct read watches when they were still available.
        Last edited by Henry Krinkle; 01-07-2018, 08:03 PM.
        Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
          My first "proper" watch was a Sears branded automatic direct read watch.

I admit I have been looking at direct read watches for more than a while now...

Also, in the regret column, I really regret not buying one of Rainer Neinaber's direct read watches when they were not available.
          Have you looked at the Tenor-Dorly re-issues? (I seem to recall we had this discussion...) I had this one:

Ca. 2000, there were various models made in more modern cases.
          Very hard to find, but based on 1970s TD movements and almost all are way cool.

tenor-dorly-edition-limitee-heure-sautante-30-exemplaires-vers-2000.jpg

https://www.vws.fr/gb/design/13-teno...vers-2000.html

dorly1_720x600.jpg

https://www.uhren-miquel.com/tenor-d...t_fm10906.html
          Last edited by Watch Carefully; 01-07-2018, 07:58 PM.

Comment

We have discussed this before and the brushed satin dial with the seconds hand would do nicely.

Comment

I have bought more expensive watches since , however because i had saved the money , shopped for it and bought it for myself at that age, it was a memorable watch and at the time it felt like a proper grown-up watch as opposed to a kids Timex or whatever i had before.
              To be honest I havent had a real landmark watch as an adult yet and i think its because i havent actually found one that I want to wear forever .
              Obviously i have watches that i like and will keep but the one that sticks in my memory , the whole experience of standing in the watch shop in Edinburgh and seeing it in the glass case and knowing that i wanted it, is a real 'time stand still' memory.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Grantag; 01-10-2018, 02:13 AM.

Comment

I love that one Andrew.

Comment

Thanks Henry, much appreciated.

Comment

My first pop over here with you Rado guys, I presume I can post none Rado content

Anyway this is a question I love. The first watch I was serious about was one I got to pick circa age 12 or 13. I don't want to mention the brand but they were well known for their sundials.

The first watch that IS serious is an Omega Constellation, off my Dad's wrist to mine when I went to college. I returned it to him when I got one of those cool LED watches. I asked for it back (and got it) 30+ years later.

Comment

Originally posted by mosswood View Post
                      My first pop over here with you Rado guys, I presume I can post none Rado content

Anyway this is a question I love. The first watch I was serious about was one I got to pick circa age 12 or 13. I don't want to mention the brand but they were well known for their sundials.

The first watch that IS serious is an Omega Constellation, off my Dad's wrist to mine when I went to college. I returned it to him when I got one of those cool LED watches. I asked for it back (and got it) 30+ years later.
                      Hi Mosswood, great to have you in here. I love the story of the Omega swap. Funny how trends mean everything at the time when you are younger. Re: your first landmark watch,( perhaps i would have been better calling this thread landmark watches), was it made by a company who went on to make a small car in tandem with Mercedes Benz ?

Comment

Originally posted by scottjc View Post
                        Like Brad I wore watches as a child but didn't get my first 'decent' watch until my early 30's.
                        Last year I had this cleaned and serviced by Tag Heuer and gifted it to my nephew for his 18th birthday. A much better use for it than gather dust in a cupboard.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24865[/ATTACH]
                        A very kind gesture Scott, i hope that your nephew realises what a brilliant gift this is.

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                          Have you looked at the Tenor-Dorly re-issues? (I seem to recall we had this discussion...) I had this one:

Ca. 2000, there were various models made in more modern cases.
                          Very hard to find, but based on 1970s TD movements and almost all are way cool.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24869[/ATTACH]

https://www.vws.fr/gb/design/13-teno...vers-2000.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24868[/ATTACH]

https://www.uhren-miquel.com/tenor-d...t_fm10906.html
                          I really like the blue colour on the top model, Henry do you have a photo of the Sears watch? Also is direct-read the same as jump-hour ?

Comment

Originally posted by Grantag View Post
                            I really like the blue colour on the top model, Henry do you have a photo of the Sears watch? Also is direct-read the same as jump-hour ?
                            I stumbled across that blue TD on eBay back around 2005 and ended up selling it in 2007 to a chap in NL who was compiling a book on TD watches (Ruud van Rijn). I've never seen another. It has a very tall domed crystal quite like the Bubble watches that Corum produced last decade:

I never did get a copy of that book...

Jump-hour watches sometimes have regular minute hands, so direct-read may be a better description for these. Also, they are known as early digital...though now that original LED and LCD digitals are 40+ years old, that term can be confusing!

Comment

Grantag, no... I was joking that the first watch was sooo many years ago. The first I had was from the brand that had the John Cameron Swayze advertisements. The first I picked was a Jule Jurgensen I think. I remember my grandmother saying she would buy me a watch. I looked for about a month before making my decision.

Comment

Working...
                              X