• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Cook on the Bay.

Has anybody seen this one.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rado-Automa...c%26pid%3D1006
    cc cook.jpg
    cc cook 1.jpg

I cannot read the appliqué on the dial and it's hard to read what is engraved on that rotor...Southwestern WHSE Company?
    Is that Warehouse or Wholesale?

Either way, it is a very peculiar variant--I would guess a non-factory mash-up from available parts at the end of the CC Mk II run.
    Perhaps sanctioned by Rado or a regional distributor...perhaps not.

Undeniably unusual!
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Ah, "GUILDCREST"
      I've never heard of that, but here is another, with the same rotor markings:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GUILDCREST-...QAAOSwonBaSsym

I would guess they were an assembler or that they used an assembler who could put together watches from available components (from various sources).
      Lots of 'brands' of this sort were available in the 1970s using parts that were common (unitas 6497 PW movements, for example, in base metal hunting-themed cases). They could be found in US department stores like Sears, Montgomery Ward, JC Penney...

How they would have gotten Rado cases, crowns and dials, is a mystery. Note they used a lesser-quality mvoement (17j versus Rado's 25j).
      Perhaps the Rado components were left-overs from a transition period when Rado went from an independent to part of a pre-Swatch comglomerate (ASUAG or SMH?)?

Another interesting point: the case back is marked Rado inside, but does not have any of the expected markings outside (e.g., seahorse, Rado name, reference number...). I wonder if Rado made such case-backs for use with off-label regional production (Like some of Sakata's Japanese-market offerings based on Rado designs).
      Last edited by Watch Carefully; 01-05-2018, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Wow...this GUILDCREST firm made a little of everything.
        From dime-store pendant watches in base metal cases...

s-l1600.jpg

...to solid platinum diamond-encrusted joaillerie:

s-l1600.jpg

I'd say they were definitely opportunistic.

Comment

Brad, that CC dial seems to be real, it appears that the hole for the anchor was not drilled in the dial.
          cc cook.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by JOSE G View Post
            Brad, that CC dial seems to be real, it appears that the hole for the anchor was not drilled in the dial.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]24850[/ATTACH]
            I would suggest the hole was present, and filled by the G logo.
            I have seen a Baylor version of the CC Mk I and it had a red disc in that place...I cannot remember if a B was used, but it clearly looked like a re-purposed Rado logo base.

It looks to me as though Guildcrest altered a complete Rado dial--thus they needed a new logo to fill that hole, and a new plaque to cover the spot where RADO would have been.

Comment

Working...
            X