Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Many thanks to Andrew for the LR history!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi!

Some new info about Louis Rossel.

Louis Rossel was the name of the brand and of the owner of that business.
    The official name of the business was

Compagnie de la Montre Home SA (Home Watch Co. Ltd.), sited in Neuchatel/Neuenburg, Switzerland.

It was liquidated finally in 1991 liquidation had been applied for in 1984.
    Louis Rossel seems to have died in the late 1980s.
    In 1989, his wife or daughter, Erika Rossel-Berchtold, seems to have abdicated.

https://www.moneyhouse.ch/en/company...-sa-2761834049

https://www.moneyhouse.ch/en/company...oggleMessage=0

https://www.zefix.ch/de/search/entit...Type=undefined
    Best regards, Mike
    vintage-rado.de

Comment

Originally posted by mike184 View Post
      Hi!

Some new info about Louis Rossel.

Louis Rossel was the name of the brand and of the owner of that business.
      The official name of the business was

Compagnie de la Montre Home SA (Home Watch Co. Ltd.), sited in Neuchatel/Neuenburg, Switzerland.

It was liquidated finally in 1991 liquidation had been applied for in 1984.
      Louis Rossel seems to have died in the late 1980s.
      In 1989, his wife or daughter, Erika Rossel-Berchtold, seems to have abdicated.

https://www.moneyhouse.ch/en/company...-sa-2761834049

https://www.moneyhouse.ch/en/company...oggleMessage=0

https://www.zefix.ch/de/search/entit...Type=undefined
      Amazing ! Thanks Mike, much appreciated.
      I will follow this new line of information and see if i can find anything else.
      Cheers
      Andrew

Comment

Hi Andrew!

A lot of work and investigation, thanx for that!

I think all I found out about LR is documented in the LR-thread. And it isn´t much - though I really tried.
        I just made one addition here about the company´s name.
        I´m curious to read the next chapter, especially about the connection to Louis Petitpierre.
        To be honest, I don´t believe there is one.
        I could find a few watchmakers/companies with the family name Rossel in Switzerland in the
        19th century, but I couldn´t find anything later, in the 20th one, or any connection.

http://fr.worldtempus.com/article/in...ser-15637.html

I think Louis Rossel had been a watchmaker with own shop or shops (the Rolex with LR-print seems to confirm that),
        who saw a chance to expand with his own label in the early 1960s. So he designed his own watches for specal
        market niches (small travel alarm watches/clocks, mens´ and ladies´ watches with extraordinary design) and
        marketed them, at least in Europe and Middle East (some of his watches have Arabic typing on the day/date).
        I have no idea if he produced these watches in his own company, the Compagnie de la Montre Home SA, or if he
        had them produced at one or more of the innumerable Swiss manufacturers with his own labelling.
        Also thinkeable that he had started with labelled watches and later produced his own ones.
        Probably in the 1970s, with the new quartz movements, the business with small alarm watches/clocks was given up
        and end of the 1970s, beginning 1980s, he couldn´t sell enough watches to stay profitable and gave up.
        Best regards, Mike
        vintage-rado.de

Comment

Morning Mike, an interesting theory.

When you say that you dont think Louis Petitpierre was a link were you referring to Fritz Petitpierre or the louis Petitpierre listed alongside Fritz Petitpierre when he was listed as a metal polisher in 1873?

'Louis Rossel' could well have been named after the last owner of the company, or his son, or the French Military Figure, or after a watchmaker from the 1700's that he had admired as a child called Louis Pierre Rossel 1755-1765 (taken from 'Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the world' Authored by . G.H.Bailie.) or it could have been pulled from the air because its a great sounding name. Louis Rossel wasn't an unusual name in the area (Louis Rossel watch pictures from the 1800's below)

History can be pretty much what you want it to be and when information is scarce...and...contradictory, it becomes even more difficult to nail it down and say 'this is fact' so theories abound. I have to admit to having a few theories of my own but tried as much as possible to stick with information that I could cross-reference, which didnt always work out either because the official legal process wasnt always carried out properly and names, addresses and makers marks changed so rapidly at the 'cottage industry' end of the watch making market and there are still some huge discrepancies with dates and validity of information, and finding anything reliable was like trying to knit soup...very frustrating.

The Rolex thing is, it would seem, is going nowhere. Over 340 hits on the Rolex forum and no one knows anything about it other than there are dicrepancies in the lettering on the face, the sub-dials appear flat instead of impressed (which may be over exposure at the photography stage) and the movement doesnt match other 3525 movements. If it is genuine it is more likely , i would think, to have been made for a wealthy admirer of the famous French Military figure than for a reasonably poor watchmaker, however I am happy to listen to any theories and anyone's offer of more information to make this lineage as water-tight as possible.

If EOT members keep dropping bits of info that they come across into here, we will either slowly build a more solid picture or become ever more entangled in a blurry history of this particular brand name. Either way, keep the theories, pictures, hyperlinks, suggestions coming please.

Thanks
          Andrew
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Grantag; 01-12-2018, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grantag View Post

History can be pretty much what you want it to be and when information is scarce...and...contradictory, it becomes even more difficult to nail it down and say 'this is fact' so theories abound.
            Exactly!

What do we really know as facts?

From early/mid 1960s to early/mid 1980s, watches and small travel alarm clocks/watches had been traded in at least Switzerland, Europe, Midlle East under the brand name "Louis Rossel", often with the addition "Neuchâtel" (Neuenburg).

The company who had traded them was called "Compagnie de la Montre Home SA (Home Watch Co. Ltd.)", sited in Neuchâtel/Neuenburg, Switzerland.
            Neuchâtel/Neuenburg is a city and also a Federal State/Kanton in Switzerland.
            The company was liquidated finally in 1991, liquidation had been applied for in 1984.
            Owner was a man with the name Louis Rossel - and that´s been his real name, otherwise it hadn´t been in the official records.
            After 1984, (probably) his wife or daughter, Erika Rossel-Berchtold, took over authority of the company, probably Louis Rossel had died before.
            In 1989, (probably) his wife or daughter, Erika Rossel-Berchtold, seems to have abdicated.

In the Federal State/Kanton Neuchâtel/Neuenburg, unfortunately the complete record about the company is not archived, at least not with access by the www.
            So we don´t know when the company had been founded or have any more other information.
            From your information it´s been in 1966.

There is no record that the brand name Louis Rossel ever had been protected in the relevant Swiss registry (IGE Schweiz).

We have archivated records about 4 watches presented by Louis Rossel at the Basel Watch Fair (today BaselWorld) 1972 - 1977 at Swisstime.

That´s it.

Everything else is assumption, more or less probable.

And a connection to UK watchmakers of the 19th century or later simply seems to be less probable to me than a connection
            to any of the Swiss watchmaker-families with the family name "Rossel" of that time.
            "Rossel" isn´t a very popular family name in Switzerland, in the Swiss telephone directory, you find a total of 798 records, 14 of them in Neuchâtel/Neuenburg (the city).

n.b I don’t know why the company moved from La-Chaux-de-Fonds then on to Bienne then on to Neuchatel, it may have been downsizing the manufacturing arm of its business or the cost of property was too high or they were moving to where the skilled workforce was or maybe running away from debt or perhaps the factory stayed where it was and they simply re- registered the company in the other places to avoid some corporate legal loophole , i dont know , but they re-registered the company several times starting with:

Petit Pierre &Co 1893 Registered in La-Chaux-de-Fonds

James Schneider 1916 Registered in La-Chaux-de-Fonds

Home Watch Co SA 1920 Registered in La-Chaux-de-Fonds

Home Watch Co SA 1951 Registered in Bienne

Home Watch Co SA 1966 Registered in Neuchatel

Some of the trademarks registered by the company in its various guises in that period of time were:

Home • Clairmont • Cadencia • Madix • Petite Pierre &Co • Assila • James Schneider • Louis Rossel, • Montre Home SA • Mardon (separated in 1920)
            Where is that information from?
            And especially that the 1966 company has anything to do with the Bienne- or La-Chaux-De-Fonds-companies?
            Or that "Louis Rossel" had been a brand name before 1966?

Home Watch Alarm 1960s.jpg

This ad matches the middle/late 1960s perfectly from the style.
            Last edited by mike184; 01-15-2018, 11:24 PM.
            Best regards, Mike
            vintage-rado.de

Comment

Perhaps if you had become involved right at the very beginning when i contacted you, we could have worked together on this instead of giving me a public mauling after the work was done.

I will find the appropriate information in response to your questions later on as i have to go to work right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Grantag View Post
                Perhaps if you had become involved right at the very beginning when i contacted you, we could have worked together on this instead of giving me a public mauling after the work was done.

I will find the appropriate information in response to your questions later on as i have to go to work right now.
                I´m not mauling, just telling my opinion.
                That´s what a discussion forum is for.
                I did a lot of rersearch before but took a time out from the forum, so sorry for the late reaction.

Just added better versions of the tiny ads of the Home Watch Co. Ltd. in Bienne from 1955.
                Unusual is the use of an English company name inner ads in French.

Old Home Watch Bienne 1955 a.jpg

Old Home Watch Bienne 1955 b.jpg

I don´t see a sure context to the later "Compagnie de la Montre Home SA (Home Watch S.A., correct translation Home Watch Co. Ltd.)", sited in Neuchâtel/Neuenburg, Switzerland.
                It was usual to use common terms like "home" for company names. If such a term isn´t in use any longer, someone else uses it.
                I couldn´t find (online) any registrations of the older Home Watch companies in the Swiss trade registers (they are under authority of the Federal States/Kantone).
                So I have no information when they ended. La-Chaux-de-Fonds and Bienne/Biel belong to Basel, Neuchâtel/Neuenburg belongs to Neuchâtel/Neuenburg.
                In my opinion, the "Compagnie de la Montre Home SA (Home Watch S.A.)" had been registered and owned by Louis Rossel.
                Obviously he used "Home Watch S.A." as English company name though "Co. Ltd." is the correct translation.
                There´s no proof that it was a re-registration.
                Just room for new speculations.

Home Watch Alarm 1960s.jpg
                Last edited by mike184; 01-16-2018, 09:33 AM.
                Best regards, Mike
                vintage-rado.de

Comment

Working...
                X