X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please: Captain Cook MK1 Parts Source

Hi All,

Brand new here and on a hunt.

I am working on a project watch that I'm hoping someone will be able to help with. I recently obtained a Croton Depthmaster that is missing its rotating bezel assembly, and from what I can tell, it's identical to the mk1 CC setup (basically a rebranded CC).

Does anyone know of some magical person that might have a spare in their stash? Or know where I might look?

I know it's a needle in a haystack, but it's always worth asking.

Thanks in advance for any help!

And mods, hopefully this is the right place.

Thanks again!

Hello and welcome...and good luck!
    The CC Mk I is quite a rarity, and one that is among the most sought-after Rados of its age.
    The competition for parts is stiff, and most folks hang on to their parts stashes for future use.
    Can you share some images of the Croton version? I cannot recall seeing that often enough to recall the similarities/differences.

For what it's worth, I once saw a BAYLOR dive watch with the same case as the CC Mk I and a dial quite similar--it even appeared to have a red disc without the swinging anchor. Unfortunately, I failed to save a photograph at the time--which was at least 8 years ago, possibly more.
    Cheers,
    Brad
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Ha! Thanks! I'll need it. Thanks for the notes on the Baylor, seems there might have been a few companies that used the same design but of course, all of them were limited numbers. So The chance of finding one bezel from any of them is still a low chance.

Hopefully I get lucky one of these days...

And here's a couple photos:

Comment

For comparison:

Above photo courtesy BrandonS

A lovely piece, though the Croton bezel differs slightly from that of Rado.
        Typical of the Rado CCs I've seen, it has brass showing through the edges of the bezel (originally chrome plated, I expect).
        The top image above was doctored by the photographer (and then-owner of the watch) to eliminate the brassing effect.
        I could have bought that watch for about $200 back around 2003 and should have done so. D*mn nice movement in it.

Rado claimed to have made 8,000 of these (I expect you have found my article which describes the Capt. Cook series), and I would think that Baylor made fewer. Croton was a well-established brand but perhaps made smaller numbers of watches than Rado, so I would guess they too made fewer than 8,000. Still, there may have been 12,000-18,000 produced, plus spare parts. There is hope!

Brad
        Last edited by Watch Carefully; 01-04-2018, 02:15 PM.

Comment

I actually hadn't seen your article, I'll give it a look now! And those numbers are encouraging, maybe something will come out of the woodwork. I'll take nearly anything at this point, since my watch is naked without it.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by moclovflop View Post
            I actually hadn't seen your article, I'll give it a look now! And those numbers are encouraging, maybe something will come out of the woodwork. I'll take nearly anything at this point, since my watch is naked without it.

Thanks again!
            Happy to be of service...if you find what you're seeking (or any other useful sources of parts which will be sueful to Radophiles) please check back in.

Also, FYI:

This is an advert we've shared here before, which may give additional clues.
            An Italian distributor (Ticin) was involved in the marketing of the CC Mk I.
            Search the threads here and you may find other sub-brands mentioned.
            Brad

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
              Happy to be of service...if you find what you're seeking (or any other useful sources of parts which will be sueful to Radophiles) please check back in.

Also, FYI:

This is an advert we've shared here before, which may give additional clues.
              An Italian distributor (Ticin) was involved in the marketing of the CC Mk I.
              Search the threads here and you may find other sub-brands mentioned.
              Brad
              Thanks for that. And just saw your edit on the previous post. I knew the insert wast different, but I'm still hoping the actual assembly is the same. But I'm starting to think they might be slightly different....

But based on measurements of the inner diameter that I've seen on other posts, I'm still hopeful they are the same.

Comment

Hi , welcome to the Forum.
                I like the look of the Croton Depthmaster, Very clean lines, very nice indeed, good luck with your quest.

Comment

Working...
                X