Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possibly the most absurdly over the top photo I have ever taken of a watch.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly the most absurdly over the top photo I have ever taken of a watch.

50 Years of Diastar

PB290043 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

But very cool, indeed. Great colors and contrasts...the eye is drawn many places, all of which are gratifying!
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Very nice photo, reminiscence of a sunrise or a sunset.

Comment

Great shot Hank. The lume on a 50 Years of Diastar is quite surprising and I love how you managed to capture that despite everything being so well lit.
        http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

That's a cracker Henry, nicely done. Must be around F 1.2, fairly low light though, did you hack the second hand or was it still fast enough to freeze it. Come on, out with the details for the shutterbugs.

Comment

Originally posted by JOSE G View Post
            Very nice photo, reminiscence of a sunrise or a sunset.
            Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
            But very cool, indeed. Great colors and contrasts...the eye is drawn many places, all of which are gratifying!
            Originally posted by scottjc View Post
            Great shot Hank. The lume on a 50 Years of Diastar is quite surprising and I love how you managed to capture that despite everything being so well lit.
            Thanks guys.

Scott, the lume on the 50 Years is quite surprising. I expected it to be more like the 40 Years of, but it is closer to the lume on the Diastar 40. Honestly, it's better than the lume on my XL 100M. For pictures where I want to show the lume on the 50 Years in the day, I set up the shot, make sure the watch is fully charged and shoot away. Turning the dial away from the light source helps the lume show.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
              That's a cracker Henry, nicely done. Must be around F 1.2, fairly low light though, did you hack the second hand or was it still fast enough to freeze it. Come on, out with the details for the shutterbugs.
              It was taken with a micro four thirds 60mm macro lens. Believe it or not, f 3.2 and 1/6th of a second. It was shot at ISO 100. So, the lume is bright. I had the camera pretty tight in to the watch with the background maybe 6 inches behind the camera. The background is painted canvas and it was backlit. That gave me a lot of it, but then I photoshopped, which I normally keep to a minimum. I usually just use photoshop instead of cleaning the dust off a watch...
              In this case I made a radial blur with a feathered mask around the dial. This is why the bokeh is shaped like gel caplets. finally I applied a vignette, though I have been experimenting with making physical vignettes for the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
                It was taken with a micro four thirds 60mm macro lens. Believe it or not, f 3.2 and 1/6th of a second. It was shot at ISO 100. So, the lume is bright. I had the camera pretty tight in to the watch with the background maybe 6 inches behind the camera. The background is painted canvas and it was backlit. That gave me a lot of it, but then I photoshopped, which I normally keep to a minimum. I usually just use photoshop instead of cleaning the dust off a watch...
                In this case I made a radial blur with a feathered mask around the dial. This is why the bokeh is shaped like gel caplets. finally I applied a vignette, though I have been experimenting with making physical vignettes for the camera.
                Ah, I was wondering how you achieved that zero depth of field effect. As you said, "absurdly over the top", in both method and most importantly, result.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
                  Ah, I was wondering how you achieved that zero depth of field effect. As you said, "absurdly over the top", in both method and most importantly, result.
                  The depth of field was pretty shallow to start with. I am mildly obsessed with minimum depth of field right now. The drop out on the dial is 100% real. Everything out of focus was out of focus to some extent, but I added more beyond the dial as well as a fair bit of distortion.

Comment

The depth of field was pretty shallow to start with. I am mildly obsessed with minimum depth of field right now. The drop out on the dial is 100% real. Everything out of focus was out of focus to some extent, but I added more beyond the dial as well as a fair bit of distortion.
                    Photography was something I once had an obsession for myself Henry. I still have some very good Nikor lenses and an old FA film body. I have a nikon macro focussing bellows I used with my standard lenses for this sort of thing, not as skilfully as you I hasten to add, but I enjoyed it at the time. Alas, only the more expensive professional Nikon D bodies are still compatible with these older lenses......maybe one day........might have to forego a few watches eh?

Comment

Henry your photography skills are of course legendary. I have absolutely no photography knowledge at all and reading through the posts am bewildered by all the technical language. I feel perhaps that i should start to learn a bit about photography as well as Rado watches and Dive watches ...this Forum should come with a disclaimer on the sign-up page!

Comment

Looks like the Diastar is reaching lightspeed in that very moment...funny!
                        Pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.

Comment

50 Years of Diastar

PB290043 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
                          I keep trying to imagine whether this setting would work with this subject:

Comment

Brad, that combination would look like a very interesting dream perhaps as the result of some locally grown mushrooms being turned into a magical soup and imbibed whilst listening to Black Sabbath's Space Caravan.....man

Comment

Originally posted by Grantag View Post
                              Brad, that combination would look like a very interesting dream perhaps as the result of some locally grown mushrooms being turned into a magical soup and imbibed whilst listening to Black Sabbath's Space Caravan.....man
                              I love that description. Which reminds me--what is your avatar? An album cover comes to mind...something Prog...Pink Floyd? Moody Blues?
                              Last edited by Watch Carefully; 12-02-2017, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X