Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes I forget how amazing Rado watches can be...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes I forget how amazing Rado watches can be...

..and I even temporarily forget some of the pieces I have owned (I would guess I have bought more than 75, and sold more than 50).
    I was looking through Mike Keller's site for some data, and stumbled across this image I took nearly a decade ago:

Mike asked me to let him post it on his site and I gladly agreed. It depicts one of the most remarkable groups of Rados that I have owned.
    The dial materials are all different (tiger-eye, ammolite, black goldstone), and the case colors are also. Regrettably, I never took a photo of the first two above with this one (lapis lazuli):

Of course, I may not have owned all of them at the same time.

These images make me melancholy, because I think of Miles, and how he was always so upbeat and encouraging about following one's own path in collecting. On the other hand, I am glad to know some of these are in the capable hands of other EOT Rado Forum members--that they will be enjoyed for years to come even if they change hands again.

My thanks to all of you who make this place special--by sharing information and passion--and who strive to improve our knowledge of the history of Rado, and to welcome new initiates. Your enthusiasm is infectious, and helps me recall many of the great watches that have passed, and the even better friendships & memories that endure.

Happy hunting,
    Brad
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 11-28-2017, 11:24 AM.
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Wise words Brad.
    So many fantastic watches are, and have been, part of this wonderful corner of the internet, plenty of them owned by Miles.
    I am still trying to downsize my collection to ensure that they all get the attention they deserve.
    http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Originally posted by scottjc View Post
      Wise words Brad.
      So many fantastic watches are, and have been, part of this wonderful corner of the internet, plenty of them owned by Miles.
      I am still trying to downsize my collection to ensure that they all get the attention they deserve.
      Thanks, Scott. The bold text above, despite my transgressions of the 'incoming' type, describes the most recent 5-6 years of my collecting, which have been conducted with the aim of refining my collection. Some fantastic rarities have passed through, but I like to think that each of them enriched my knowledge (if not my watch fund) and preparation for the aforementioned refinement.
      Reaching a stage of comfort in being the 'former owner' of some wonderful pieces coincided with my adoption of a philosophy of "fewer, better, less clutter."
      B
      Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
        Thanks, Scott. The bold text above, despite my transgressions of the 'incoming' type, describes the most recent 5-6 years of my collecting, which have been conducted with the aim of refining my collection. Some fantastic rarities have passed through, but I like to think that each of them enriched my knowledge (if not my watch fund) and preparation for the aforementioned refinement.
        Reaching a stage of comfort in being the 'former owner' of some wonderful pieces coincided with my adoption of a philosophy of "fewer, better, less clutter."
        B
        That's exactly where I'm at right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
          B
          I have definitely reached this stage. I am quite happy to see pieces I loved but no longer wore enough go elsewhere.
          Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

I think how many members have come and gone just since I joined and the thing that strikes me is no matter how big or small the forum is and whether it is filled with people who have learned or people that are in the process of learning the forum remians essentially the same. It has it's own special vibe. Miles was a big part of that, but his memory will continue to be a part of it and I like to think that in the years to come it will remain the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
              I think how many members have come and gone just since I joined and the thing that strikes me is no matter how big or small the forum is and whether it is filled with people who have learned or people that are in the process of learning the forum remians essentially the same. It has it's own special vibe. Miles was a big part of that, but his memory will continue to be a part of it and I like to think that in the years to come it will remain the same.
              You joined a year before me, while a number of the original members were still here, and I was part of the 'next phase' of members. The philosophy here seems to have endured through the years and I too hope that it will continue for many years to come.

Comment

I agree Henry, this place has it's own special culture. Miles was and in many ways will always be part of it. However regarding this talk of culling and refining ones collection, I think Miles would beg to differ. I seem to remember it was a badge of honour to him, that (with exception of a few pieces right at the end) he still had pretty much every watch he ever bought.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
                  I agree Henry, this place has it's own special culture. Miles was and in many ways will always be part of it. However regarding this talk of culling and refining ones collection, I think Miles would beg to differ. I seem to remember it was a badge of honour to him, that (with exception of a few pieces right at the end) he still had pretty much every watch he ever bought.
                  I think he never let a single watch go until the last few months. Culling was never Miles' thing. I'd like to point out that he was not the only member to have hundreds of watches either. There have been others. I never made that number but I may have had more than 70 functioning and wearable watches at one time. I don't think I've owned 100 in total yet either.

Comment

I think he never let a single watch go until the last few months. Culling was never Miles' thing. I'd like to point out that he was not the only member to have hundreds of watches either. There have been others. I never made that number but I may have had more than 70 functioning and wearable watches at one time. I don't think I've owned 100 in total yet either.
                    I'm currently at over 70, with a target of getting the collection below 60...

Comment

I was up to about 250 (not all Rado, quite a big complement of Seiko and Citizen) and made a fresh start, so to speak, when I left Malta to move to the Philippines in July of last year .. I took with me only a couple of watches, the Rado that was meant to be my daily wearer was the 2007 Golden Horse Chronometer re-issue but that was stolen/lost a couple of weeks before I left so I brought the 40 years Diastar chronometer instead - it doesn't get that much wear though.

Since being here I spent the best part of a year not buying anything, at one point I bought a gold-tone 2007 Golden Horse just to replace my loved-and-lost one. I got it cheaply but it turned out to be in quite bad condition .. not even working. I reassembled it correctly so it's at least working now but for some reason the crown does not screw down.

At some point the old collecting bug struck again and I bought 2 lots of watches from Japan, including a few Rados too.

I'm back to not buying watches at the moment .. the Philippines is not a particularly good place for a collector, incoming customs are a nightmare (they held my last package for a month!) and selling / posting out watches is even worse .. unreliable post and the stigma attached to being in the Philippines, land of the franken-watch (second only to India in that sense)

This EOT forum and the people I have got to know here is dear to me .. i've been on here since 2008 or so, close to a decade now, and can honestly say this is the friendliest watch-related forum I've ever been on. Miles' passing was a great loss to our community and I hope we can keep his memory alive in a way that would have pleased him.

Comment

Originally posted by croolis View Post
                        I was up to about 250 (not all Rado, quite a big complement of Seiko and Citizen) and made a fresh start, so to speak, when I left Malta to move to the Philippines in July of last year .. I took with me only a couple of watches, the Rado that was meant to be my daily wearer was the 2007 Golden Horse Chronometer re-issue but that was stolen/lost a couple of weeks before I left so I brought the 40 years Diastar chronometer instead - it doesn't get that much wear though.

Since being here I spent the best part of a year not buying anything, at one point I bought a gold-tone 2007 Golden Horse just to replace my loved-and-lost one. I got it cheaply but it turned out to be in quite bad condition .. not even working. I reassembled it correctly so it's at least working now but for some reason the crown does not screw down.

At some point the old collecting bug struck again and I bought 2 lots of watches from Japan, including a few Rados too.

I'm back to not buying watches at the moment .. the Philippines is not a particularly good place for a collector, incoming customs are a nightmare (they held my last package for a month!) and selling / posting out watches is even worse .. unreliable post and the stigma attached to being in the Philippines, land of the franken-watch (second only to India in that sense)

This EOT forum and the people I have got to know here is dear to me .. i've been on here since 2008 or so, close to a decade now, and can honestly say this is the friendliest watch-related forum I've ever been on. Miles' passing was a great loss to our community and I hope we can keep his memory alive in a way that would have pleased him.
                        Hi Croolis, ive only been here for five minutes but have already picked up the good vibe from the EOT crew.
                        I didnt know Miles, but just reading all the comments and warmth felt for him shows that it is a tight-knit community.
                        Im glad that I joined.

Andrew
                        Last edited by Grantag; 12-03-2017, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grantag View Post
                          Im glad that I joined.
                          Good to have you here Andrew. Your wallet won't be so happy you joined...

Comment

Several moths have been released very recently from my triple-locked wallet Scott

Comment

Originally posted by scottjc View Post
                              Good to have you here Andrew. Your wallet won't be so happy you joined...
                              Originally posted by Grantag View Post
                              Several moths have been released very recently from my triple-locked wallet Scott
                              Oh no, seems like the virus is taking hold but at least you'll get rid of those pesky moths.

Comment

Working...
                              X