Found a nice Rado but is it correct?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a nice Rado but is it correct?

Evening all, as part of my hunt for my first Rado i have come across a rather attractive Supertime, however before i take the plunge I am requesting assistance from the great and good at EOT re: this particular watch.
    It looks lovely, the back and the internals look correct (to me) however the crown seems overly large. The photos that i have collected for reference all seem to have a very flat crown, almost flush with the case, and this just seems too large. So my question is , did they produce a later or earlier model that had a bigger crown or has this been repaired (albeit with a genuine item) ?
    Your thoughts will of course be gratefully received.
    Thanks
    Andrew
    Attached Files

Looks like the crown has been replaced. That's not really an issue though as you can pick up Rado crowns on the bay for £5-£12. Everything else looks correct to me but there are Rado experts on here who I'm sure can give you more info!
    Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris, i havent heard from anyone else yet as to it looking correct, do you have any idea how much i should be paying for it?
      Cheers
      Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Grantag View Post
        Thanks Chris, i havent heard from anyone else yet as to it looking correct, do you have any idea how much i should be paying for it?
        Cheers
        Andrew
        Hi Andrew, I will preface the following by saying that this is a model I know very little about. From the small amount of research I've had time for, I think it looks correct, bracelet etc. It's one of the models where one of the rules is broken and you have a gold furnished dial in a SS case. It's a later model of this watch, maybe early to mid '80's judging by the movement (ETA 2836-2 C1982). Henry may know if the 638 prefix tallies with 2836-2. Otherwise I have seen at least one other example with that crown and it may be peculiar to later models. As for the price, imo it's in reasonable condition, with a correct bracelet but I think it's at least 30 quid over the odds, why don't you email the guy and make an offer, quite often they will take offers even if it's not available in the listing, I have bought at least 2 watches that way. Good luck!
        Last edited by Tim.; 11-13-2017, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks Tim, much appreciated, i'm hoping that Henry will be able to put the final seal of approval on the job and then ill email the bloke and see if theres any room to wiggle on the price
          Cheers
          Andrew

Comment

638 does indeed correspond with an ETA 2836-2, early version.

I think it is largely correct. The fact the O in Rado is a little bent may mean the dial has been refinished, but if so, it is done correctly and well. It may also mean that it simply got bent during a service or something.

I see no compelling reason not to make him an offer.
            Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Thanks very much Henry, much appreciated. I will email him and see where we go .
              Cheers
              Andrew

Comment

Henry i have tried to PM you but it says that your PM inbox is full and cannot accept any new messages
                Cheers
                Andrew

Comment

Henry i have tried to PM you but it says that your PM inbox is full and cannot accept any new messages
                  Cheers
                  Andrew
                  I've made some room. Message away!
                  Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Doesn't look like a refinished dial .. printing is sharp and there is a bit of corrosion around the lume dots - you wouldn't get that on a refinished dial. Probably the 'O' got nudged at some point The watch seems OK overall .. not sure about the crown as I don't have others to compare to but it at least looks OK.

Comment

Hi Croolis, thanks very much for that. Do you think the 'O' could be nudged back into place or would it snap off if pressure was applied?
                      Cheers
                      Andrew

Comment

I wouldn’t touch it, been my experience usually when I mess with anything on a dial, I make it worse.

Comment

Thanks Jethro, I thought as much, i just wondered if there was some knack to doing things like that .
                          Cheers
                          Andrew

Comment

Hi Croolis, thanks very much for that. Do you think the 'O' could be nudged back into place or would it snap off if pressure was applied?
                            Cheers
                            Andrew
                            Andrew, I suspect it will require a very careful, skilled hand to move it back into place and glue it there. Tricky bit of surgery because the dial finish is likely susceptible to scratching, and any visible glue would detract.
                            Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Hi Watch Carefully, thanks , you are of course right and im guessing the cost of repair will push it way past its real value. .i could buy it as is and leave it well alone, however I hadn't even noticed it originally before Henry pointed it out to me and i know that if i buy it , its all i will see when i look at it !
                              Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X