Is this ebayer selling fake Rados?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this ebayer selling fake Rados?

A question for the eagle eyed Pro's out there.

I have been looking on ebay for an affordable Rado and this particular seller 'vintagetimewatches' has a few Rado watches for sale and interestingly they all seem to have patina on the hands and faces.
    This made me suspicious because they almost look as if they have been 'roughed up' a bit to seem more authentic....or am i now so paranoid about being caught with my pants down that I dont trust anything i see out there?

What do the enlightened among you think?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-R...cAAOSwBMVZdwgZ

Cheers Andrew

A general rule of thumb:
    Nearly every 1970s Rado watch with a steel case but gold accents (or a full gold-tone case), has gold hands, dial markers and a gold anchor.
    Example:

vs.

The first watch has a factory gold bezel, hands, and markers. The second is all steel/silver.
    Perhaps that will help guide you through a minefield.
    Brad

PS. Regarding that particular watch, refer to Henry's Law (paraphrasing here: never buy a Voyager --or something claimed to be one-- unless you are looking for a specific early one that is correct and rare*). Also, it has a 625. reference number* that I do not know. But my data shows 625 was used on watches dating from the early 1970s to 1980, so it would not likely be correct on a 1980s watch (as this is claimed to be). I would not say it is Fake (though, without a movement photo, anything is possible) but it is likely a re-dial (printing of 'MADE' looks shaky).

More to the point, (sorry if this comes across as blunt and insensitive) the one you linked is in no way a desirable watch. Its ilk were made in huge numbers and are considered low-grade among vintage Rado. It may have a 17-jewel variant of a movement of which Rado used 25-jewel examples in their better watches. Frankly, this is an ordinary design, offered as entry-level from a brand known for daring design and inventive use of materials. Almost any other clean, authentic Rado model is a more worthy purchase and credit to history of the brand.

We're here to help...I would say look at Golden Horse and Green Horse models, Presidents & Starliners & StratoJets, maybe some of the Super Time or Trident models...definitely Diastars and Balboas. Not meaning to toot my own horn, but the articles and web pages I've provided (also linked atop this forum) can point you in the direction of noteworthy first purchases that won't leave you wishing you hadn't quickly blown a couple hundred quid just to satisfy an urge. We've all been there!

* Ironically, the sole desirable family of Voyager models (IMO), made ca. 1968-1973 had, for the final year of production, a reference number beginning with 625. The watch linked above ain't one of those! (bottom left):

Last edited by Watch Carefully; 11-06-2017, 05:03 PM.
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
      A general rule of thumb:
      Nearly every 1970s Rado watch with a steel case but gold accents (or a full gold-tone case), has gold hands, dial markers and a gold anchor.

This was Scott's first addition to my rules.
      Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Also, I heartily endorse the search for Starliners and Golden/ Green Horses. Great starting points, all.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
          This was Scott's first addition to my rules.
          Hank, if you can find the original thread with those rules, let's add it as one of the linked threads in the sticky. You can edit anyone's post now that you're a Moderator, including the stickies.

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
            Hank, if you can find the original thread with those rules, let's add it as one of the linked threads in the sticky. You can edit anyone's post now that you're a Moderator, including the stickies.
            Sure.

We have been talking about collecting all the spread sheets and such as well. I don't know if this is possible, but I was considering that we might soon have enough stickies in the Rado forum, that a resources sub-forum might be worth considering.

Comment

Sure.

We have been talking about collecting all the spread sheets and such as well. I don't know if this is possible, but I was considering that we might soon have enough stickies in the Rado forum, that a resources sub-forum might be worth considering.
              Just on that one Henry, there are difficulties with the uploading of XL spreadsheets due to the size limits imposed by the platform, I remember I had to turn them into jpegs and even then I had to split it into 2. So if it's to be easily edited and updated this is an area that will need to be addressed. Perhaps a raising of the size limit for the spreadsheet section of the "resources sub-forum" could be considered, although whether or not it's possible to alter the code for a specific thread or threads is down to the flexibility of the original platform, it's more likely possible to vary that limit for the entire sub forum than a specific thread I suspect. One for the IT department to nut out.
              Last edited by Tim.; 11-06-2017, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
                IT department
                Tee hee.

Comment

Tee hee.
                  Well then, perhaps whoever it was we consulted to get rid of Deleton.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
                    Well then, perhaps whoever it was we consulted to get rid of Deleton.
                    Yes, Jamie is pretty good, and he is our IT guy. It's just funny thinking of EoT as having an IT department.

Comment

Yes, Jamie is pretty good, and he is our IT guy. It's just funny thinking of EoT as having an IT department.
                      Well maybe you're right Henry, IT department might be a bit grandiose for us, nonetheless, I'm glad we at least have someone we can call the "IT guy".

Comment

Thanks very much Tim, ( no worries about coming across as insensitive, you werent at all , i much prefer to hear it the way it is)
                        Well im glad im heading in the right direction, I didnt find any of the stuff he has listed interesting to look at , more that i was intrigued by the uniformity of the patina on everything he was selling, it just seemed too consistent.
                        I will definately read back through some of your earlier stuff . I am already making a small list of the models that i like the look of.
                        Really appreciate all the advice and the efforts you have gone to to help out. I feel that the day i buy my first Rado will be a big event for me.
                        Cheers Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Grantag View Post
                          Thanks very much Tim, ( no worries about coming across as insensitive, you werent at all , i much prefer to hear it the way it is)
                          Well im glad im heading in the right direction, I didnt find any of the stuff he has listed interesting to look at , more that i was intrigued by the uniformity of the patina on everything he was selling, it just seemed too consistent.
                          I will definately read back through some of your earlier stuff . I am already making a small list of the models that i like the look of.
                          Really appreciate all the advice and the efforts you have gone to to help out. I feel that the day i buy my first Rado will be a big event for me.
                          Cheers Andrew
                          We'll help get you there, Andrew.
                          You might consider buying from a seller here. There is usually much less risk and, if you spot something on-line that strikes your fancy but which cannot be found for sale, post a WTB (want to buy) on the Rado Exchange. Many of us have extra watches which we are not actively selling, but would consider offering to a new member with an itch for an interesting piece.
                          Cheers,
                          Brad

Comment

Thanks Brad, that's great advice. I think i will do just that.
                            Much appreciated
                            Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Grantag View Post
                              Cheers for that Andrew, glad I didn't come across as insensitive, but....ummm.......I'm just a little bit confused about what you're referring to here........ Anyway, I guess as long as you're ok with it, as you said, no worries.
                              Last edited by Tim.; 11-08-2017, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X