Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good morning all

Good morning all,

I have always liked watches but my real interest in vintage stuff was sparked off last year by finding my old Ingersol Jump hour watch from 1973 which I sent off to be be repaired, polished and re-strapped.

After spending the last year looking at thousands of old watches online and trying to educate myself i found myself returning to time and again to the Rado watches .

I am now at the point of taking the plunge and investing in a vintage Rado, however after reading many of the posts on here, realise that there are many pitfalls for the uninitiated.

Is there a recommended outlet for the genuine article?

All advice will be gratefully received.
    Cheers Andrew

Is there any particular Rado model that has caught your eye? Some are more regularly faked, or frankened, than others so some idea of what you're interested in would help us to advise.
    http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Hi Scottjc, yes i am currently looking at a couple of watches on ebay but am unsure as to whether they are genuine or not, but will give you an idea of the sort of thing im after.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rad...19.m1438.l2649
      and :
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-AS-208...QAAOSwl9RZ-gsi

Thanks
      Andrew

Comment

In my opinion, Id stay way from both of those. Both are fakes. The glitter dial is horrendous. The case back and rotor are giveaways on the other. This model seems to be one of the most faked models.

Comment

Wow, thank you Jethro ! i have deleted both from my watch list. There is so much to learn.
          Could you recommend a safe place to buy my first genuine Rado?
          Thanks Again
          Andrew

Comment

Hello and welcome.

Here are some rules I posted elsewhere once. There are many more rules but this might be a good starting point.

General rules:

-Until you know better do not buy anything from India or Pakistan.

-Exercise extreme caution when buying from Korea or the Philippines.

-There are a series of "different" sellers located in Hollywood that sell really shiny watches for very high prices. Do not buy from them if you want anything authentic. There is a similar seller in Korea and another in New York (?) Do not buy from them for the same reason.

-Don't buy a Companion. Ever.

-Until you know better, don't buy a Voyager.

- If it is older than about 2000 and it has a display back- DO NOT BUY IT.

- If you can see the movement and it does not have a Rado logo on the rotor do not buy it. There is one exception to this rule and it is rarely encountered.

Pre 1968 Rados were powered almost exclusively by A Schild movements, though there are a few Felsa powered watches from the late 50s/early 60s. After 1968 or so almost everything is ETA. Keep this in mind.

From 1962 through to around 1975 all acrylic Rado crystals have a tiny anchor cast into the centre of it. The one exception are the cyclops crystals from the early to mid sixties.

From 1962 through to the mid seventies all automatic Rados will have a rotating anchor disc made from the same synthetic ruby as used in movement jewels. After this until around 2000 the anchor disc will be pink/red anodized aluminum.

Unless the dial says jubile, it does not have diamonds, no matter what the seller says. Do not pay extra for that privilege.
            Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Grantag View Post
              Wow, thank you Jethro ! i have deleted both from my watch list. There is so much to learn.
              Could you recommend a safe place to buy my first genuine Rado?
              Thanks Again
              Andrew
              If/when things are up for sale here the Rado sales forum is safe. You can also feel pretty safe asking our opinion. We are a pretty easy going bunch and like to share our knowledge.

Comment

Thanks Henry, my sentiments exactly. I got duped a few times when I started collecting until I found this forum.

Comment

Brilliant , thank you very much for that Henry, i will print that off and keep it as a point of reference.
                  Could you please tell me what a display back is , and as i am now intrigued, why shouldnt i buy a Companion?

Thanks again
                  Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by jethrobodine View Post
                    Thanks Henry, my sentiments exactly. I got duped a few times when I started collecting until I found this forum.
                    We all did Kevin and some of us, me included, shared our mistakes on here in the early days.
                    http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Originally posted by jethrobodine View Post
                      Originally posted by scottjc View Post
                      We all did Kevin and some of us, me included, shared our mistakes on here in the early days.
                      Thanks Kevin and yes Scott, we all did.

Comment

Originally posted by Grantag View Post
                        Brilliant , thank you very much for that Henry, i will print that off and keep it as a point of reference.
                        Could you please tell me what a display back is , and as i am now intrigued, why shouldnt i buy a Companion?

Thanks again
                        Andrew
                        First Display backs. They are the case backs that have sapphire or mineral glass so that one can see the movements.

33632563475_d3941ab671_o by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

AN back by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Rado did not start using display backs, or exhibition backs as they are also known, until around the year 2000. This Diastar 40 is the first or second example Rado made.

PC310672 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Companions- More than half the companions available have almost no genuine Rado parts in them. Most of the rest have been fiddled with. There are genuine Companions that are mostly original but they are rare as hens teeth and they can be tough to spot floating in the sea of fakes.
                        Last edited by Henry Krinkle; 11-05-2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Hello and welcome Andrew, this is exactly how I joined this forum, only I actually bought the watch, here's my first post. Luckily armed with the information I was given here I was able to send that watch back for a full refund. I would suggest that for now if you do see something you like, you could continue to do what you did this time or use the PM feature to send details to one of the more knowledgeable members here, simply click on the members user name in a thread and select the private message option, everyone here is happy to help or redirect you to a member who can.

Comment

Hi Tim, thank you for your welcome and the offer of support . I read your first posting and i will definately be checking any future purchases with you blokes first, i really only thought that the incredibly expensive watches were faked but this has been a real eye opener.
                            Thanks once again
                            Andrew

Comment

Welcome, Andrew.
                              There are many who have asked themselves (and others here) the same questions. I am sure you will receive useful answers and, hopefully, the result will be a satisfying purchase (likely more than one, as history has shown!).

Take note of the galleries of images of catalogue pages, adverts, movements, etc. which are available via one of the stickies atop this forum. Also, the Mission-Rado website of one of our members (Mike Keller) offers much info that a new collector can use for comparison against potential purchases.
                              Enjoy your stay here and good luck!
                              Brad
                              Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Working...
                              X