Old Rado - What to do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Rado - What to do

Short Version: I have come into possession of what I think is an older (60-70s) Rado watch. The face is in great shape but the band looks pretty worn. Would it be a bad idea to get it cleaned or should I leave it as is?

Long Version: My grandfather got this watch a while back, he died 30 years ago and my grandmother has had it since then. She died last october and I found the watch while cleaning up. I gave it to my mother (who passed a few weeks later) and I ended up with the watch. I don't feel it's worth a great deal of money, and I'm not looking to sell it but I am looking to help it maintain whatever value it has going forward (both monetary and sentimental). I'm just not sure what level of care you can give old things before you start taking away from the value.

The watch is a Rado Diastar Magic. It has what I believe are crystals for the hour markers and the logo in not printed but is on an insert. It is gold/copper looking but on the band I can see that is chipped. I think the numbers on the back of the watch say 13g-625-01.3

Any information you could give me about this watch and model would be great, as well as value and instructions for care. I can take pictures if needed and post.

thanks

Originally posted by polarity View Post
    Short Version: I have come into possession of what I think is an older (60-70s) Rado watch. The face is in great shape but the band looks pretty worn. Would it be a bad idea to get it cleaned or should I leave it as is?

Long Version: My grandfather got this watch a while back, he died 30 years ago and my grandmother has had it since then. She died last october and I found the watch while cleaning up. I gave it to my mother (who passed a few weeks later) and I ended up with the watch. I don't feel it's worth a great deal of money, and I'm not looking to sell it but I am looking to help it maintain whatever value it has going forward (both monetary and sentimental). I'm just not sure what level of care you can give old things before you start taking away from the value.

The watch is a Rado Diastar Magic. It has what I believe are crystals for the hour markers and the logo in not printed but is on an insert. It is gold/copper looking but on the band I can see that is chipped. I think the numbers on the back of the watch say 13g-625-01.3

Any information you could give me about this watch and model would be great, as well as value and instructions for care. I can take pictures if needed and post.

thanks
    Hello and welcome Polarity, a Diastar Magic will have a Tungsten Carbide case and a sapphire crystal which are both fairly scratch resistant and should clean up nicely. Some good detailed photos would help us advise you better on just exactly how to proceed. A Diastar Magic in good condition is quite sought after by some collectors but the value at auction really depends on having a few competing bidders and what they're prepared to pay. Is the watch currently running and keeping time. Looking forward to some detailed photos.

Comment

Hello and welcome.

Without pictures, this is what I can tell you (though pictures would be nice). The 13 G is post 1967-ish at the oldest and my well be from the early to mid 70s. I am not at all surprised that a gold plate bracelet from then is in rough shape. Seeing the bracelet might help us narrow the age of the watch a bit. If it is a later version of the NSA bracelet there are after market knockoffs that can be had cheaply and don't look bad. As rough as the bracelet is don't throw it away, though.

If you intend to wear it you should take it in for a service.
      Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
        Hello and welcome Polarity, a Diastar Magic will have a Tungsten Carbide case and a sapphire crystal which are both fairly scratch resistant and should clean up nicely. Some good detailed photos would help us advise you better on just exactly how to proceed. A Diastar Magic in good condition is quite sought after by some collectors but the value at auction really depends on having a few competing bidders and what they're prepared to pay. Is the watch currently running and keeping time. Looking forward to some detailed photos.
        IMG_0756.jpgIMG_0757.jpgIMG_0759.jpgIMG_0758.jpgIMG_0760.jpg

So if I move it around for a few seconds it starts running and runs fine for a bit then stops. I'm assuming it just needs some movement to charge properly. Here are the pictures. I hope it helps.

thanks for any information

Edit: Now that I can see the pictures blown up it looks like the scratches in the bottom say USA 75, I'm assuming that's the date it was purchased or brought back to the USA. My grandfather traveled a lot and everyone in the family line who could give me any information about him or the watch has no passed. It's strange luck that I ended up with it just because I love watches. I'm no collector by any means but I own several citizens and bulovas. Apparently now I own a Rado as well.
        Last edited by polarity; 11-02-2017, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Ok, nice one. You'll find the case will clean up with a soft cloth moistened with a bit of spirits (metho) or the like to remove the greasy finger marks. There looks to be a bit of dust or debris on the dial that your watchmaker will blow out when you have it serviced, which would be a good idea, a watch like this is worth it. Henry has covered the bracelet and will give you a better idea on the date when he sees the pictures. I'm not sure on the movement, that will depend on the age of the watch, an early version will be AS and later versions will be ETA. If you are confident on how to unscrew the case back (you will need a tool for this) you could photograph the movement, if not be sure and get your watchmaker to take some for you and list all the numbers on the movement for future reference. If you don't know any watchmakers, give us a clue what area you're in and someone here may know where to take it.

Comment

I don't know how I missed it the first time. Your Diastar 13 G has an ETA 2789 inside. Dr. Ranfft says that was introduced in 1969. You watch is no older than that and probably newer. It's in nice shape. The bracelet is bad, but I have seen much worse for that age. The bracelet supports your belief that you grandfather may have bought it around 1975. That style of NSA dates around the mid-70s and not before.

That is well worth keepign and wearing.
            Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
              I don't know how I missed it the first time. Your Diastar 13 G has an ETA 2789 inside. Dr. Ranfft says that was introduced in 1969. You watch is no older than that and probably newer. It's in nice shape. The bracelet is bad, but I have seen much worse for that age. The bracelet supports your belief that you grandfather may have bought it around 1975. That style of NSA dates around the mid-70s and not before.

That is well worth keepign and wearing.
              I don't know any one I could take it to for service. I travel for work and am currently in Oklahoma City, OK. I will most likely be here a few more months and then on to the next spot (which is always unknown until that time). So any tips on a good place to take it for service would be great.

Any idea for approximate value? Or would the person doing the service be able to provide a better answer? Again, I'm not looking to sell but I am curious what the value is.

Also, thanks to you all for the replies and information. I really appreciate all your help.

Comment

Originally posted by polarity View Post
                I don't know any one I could take it to for service. I travel for work and am currently in Oklahoma City, OK. I will most likely be here a few more months and then on to the next spot (which is always unknown until that time). So any tips on a good place to take it for service would be great.

Any idea for approximate value? Or would the person doing the service be able to provide a better answer? Again, I'm not looking to sell but I am curious what the value is.

Also, thanks to you all for the replies and information. I really appreciate all your help.
                I'm in Australia, Henry is in Canada but Brad's in Philadelphia and may know of someone. In the meanwhile, I passed this site on to one of our members in Texas and I'll give it to you, just scroll down the list and you should find a repairer not too far away. National watch & clock collectors

Comment

About the value I have seen these going around 200usd in ebay, but if two bidders get into a war this watch could get 250+usd.

On the other hand If I got a watch that belonged to my grandfather I would keep it and pass it on to the next generation. With a good service this watch should keep ticking for another 40 years and since the case and crystal are virtually scractchproof the watch would look good forever.
                  https://www.instagram.com/the_rado_collector/

Comment

Working...
                  X