Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GP Marstron

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GP Marstron

    Really pleased to have picked this up today. It will probably need a repair but these are so rare and the first I have seen with its original bracelet.

    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Last edited by JohnPat; 07-15-2017, 09:51 AM.
    See my collection slideshow at
    http://s629.photobucket.com/user/sca...20March%202012

  • #2
    Nice one John, that's a really rare piece.
    The bracelet is particularly interesting, the ss ones are hard enough to find but the two tone example is special.
    http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

    Comment


    • #3
      That's a rare piece in exceptionally good condition John, always nice to see the sticker still on the case back, congratulations.

      Comment


      • #4
        Glad you got it John. I had a bid in on it but then cancelled as I can't imagine where I might have that repaired in SA. I have never seen a GP Marstron, let alone one on the original bracelet.

        I found it odd though, that the anchor and logo where not also in GP?

        Comment


        • #5
          It is odd but the catalogue page showing the GP Marstron is the same
          See my collection slideshow at
          http://s629.photobucket.com/user/sca...20March%202012

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JohnPat View Post
            It is odd but the catalogue page showing the GP Marstron is the same
            There are various examples of Balboas with the same combination too.

            Comment


            • #7
              Well that's a great addition to the collection. Congratulations and glad I did not bid against you in the end!

              I look forward to seeing the Marstron in all it's repaired glory, it certainly appears to be in great condition externally.

              Comment


              • #8
                It will be interesting to see if it does need a repair. The listing described it as automatic so may just need a battery, ever the optimist!
                See my collection slideshow at
                http://s629.photobucket.com/user/sca...20March%202012

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JohnPat View Post
                  It will be interesting to see if it does need a repair. The listing described it as automatic so may just need a battery, ever the optimist!
                  I'm with you JP, you should've seen the condition mine was in. Once I cleaned all the gunk out, put in a fresh plastic insulator and a new battery, away it went. Externally, at least, yours looks pristine, they seem to be a fairly robust long serving movement, so I think your optimism is well founded. Here's the story of mine if you're interested.http://www.equationoftime.com/forums...ighlight=story
                  Last edited by Tim.; 07-17-2017, 02:27 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hopefully it will just be a new battery that is required.

                    The date change not having been completed by 04:12 scared me off, though it may just be that the last juice was squeezed out trying to change the date.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well done John,

                      I was the underbidder (and am happy that if i had to miss out it has gone to a member of this forum) on this one and think it is a terrific piece!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have received the gold plated Marstron (photographs to follow). It is mint, not sure if the backplate has ever been removed before. It was a bit tight but once removed it revealed what may be the original battery (marked WH12NM U.S. PAT 3096217 ETAL) which had leaked a little and destroyed the insulator. Otherwise the moment looks very clean.

                        I read in a post some time ago that someone had replaced one of these insulators before; where might I find the correct part and does it just sit beneath the battery contact or is it fitted in some way?
                        See my collection slideshow at
                        http://s629.photobucket.com/user/sca...20March%202012

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JohnPat View Post
                          I have received the gold plated Marstron (photographs to follow). It is mint, not sure if the backplate has ever been removed before. It was a bit tight but once removed it revealed what may be the original battery (marked WH12NM U.S. PAT 3096217 ETAL) which had leaked a little and destroyed the insulator. Otherwise the moment looks very clean.

                          I read in a post some time ago that someone had replaced one of these insulators before; where might I find the correct part and does it just sit beneath the battery contact or is it fitted in some way?
                          I think Tim's done a bit of work on Marstron movements so he could be your man.
                          http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have tried bodging it with a piece of shaped plastic just to see if it runs with a new battery. There is an initial twitch from the movement once the battery is connected but it won't run.
                            See my collection slideshow at
                            http://s629.photobucket.com/user/sca...20March%202012

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Some pics

                              IMG_3641.jpg
                              IMG_3640.jpg
                              IMG_3642.jpg
                              IMG_3644.jpg
                              IMG_3643.jpg
                              See my collection slideshow at
                              http://s629.photobucket.com/user/sca...20March%202012

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X