Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DS 0,1 and 1E. All in one spreadsheet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DS 0,1 and 1E. All in one spreadsheet.

    Here is a spreadsheet with all the 0, 1 and 1E data you have supplied so far. If you have any more data, comments or suggestions to add please post them here. Surprisingly there are not many DS1's with 8 digit ref, I thought they would be the most common. Tried making it 2 photos, almost lines up.

    untitled1.jpguntitled2.jpg
    Last edited by Tim.; 07-15-2017, 05:38 AM.

  • #2
    I'm curious--what is the earliest date we have identified for the production of a Diastar Chronometer (1 or 1E?)?
    The one I owned (now Henry's) had a 408 movement code (Aug 1974). Have any DS Chronometers been pinpointed to an earlier date?

    I spotted one on eBay, but the date code is obscured. I am wondering what the range of production dates was for these...they seem to have been made for some years. I'll dig thru the adverts...earliest there seems to be 1972.



    Attached Files
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 01-27-2018, 05:44 PM.
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

    Comment


    • #3
      I didnít give Tim my chronometer Numbers. Iíve got three, they are all square cut crystals. All DS/1E. The first two have the half and half case, the last one is the full cover tungsten case. Case #196664, chrono # 2322, movement 2782 date 011. Next one is case#219235, chrono# 4959, movement 2797/2783 date#202, third one case #1153686, chrono #7704, movement 2797/2783 date#309.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
        I'm curious--what is the earliest date we have identified for the production of a Diastar Chronometer (1 or 1E?)?
        The one I owned (now Henry's) had a 408 movement code (Aug 1974). Have any DS Chronometers been pinpointed to an earlier date?

        I spotted one on eBay, but the date code is obscured. I am wondering what the range of production dates was for these...they seem to have been made for some years. I'll dig thru the adverts...earliest there seems to be 1972.



        Hi Brad, the earliest one we have on record is a DS1 that belongs to Marcus & is one containing a rare dated AS1858 from Nov '69. The earliest DS 1E belongs to Scott, an ETA 2782 from Aug '70
        Last edited by Tim.; 01-27-2018, 07:50 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jethrobodine View Post
          I didnít give Tim my chronometer Numbers. Iíve got three, they are all square cut crystals. All DS/1E. The first two have the half and half case, the last one is the full cover tungsten case. Case #196664, chrono # 2322, movement 2782 date 011. Next one is case#219235, chrono# 4959, movement 2797/2783 date#202, third one case #1153686, chrono #7704, movement 2797/2783 date#309.
          Kevin, does the last one with the full cover TC also have an 8 digit code?

          Comment


          • #6
            Where would I look?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Tim. View Post
              Hi Brad, the earliest one we have on record is a DS1 that belongs to Marcus & is one containing a rare dated AS1858 from Nov '69. The earliest DS 1E belongs to Scott, an ETA 2782 from Aug '70
              Thanks--here is the data from the one I sold to Henry (which you have listed under my name in the spreadsheet):

              623.0001.3 mvt # 9523 case #1165148 cal. Eta 2783 (Rado 2797 408)
              Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jethrobodine View Post
                Where would I look?
                Hi Kevin, if it has one and it may not, it will be on the case back like this one, it's hard to read as it's quite worn but says 623.0001.3. My only reason for asking is that I think the 8 digit code comes in around the time of the return to the full TC case and it would be good to try and narrow down a date. You've unearthed a fault in the spreadsheet, I should have been stating if they were full or half case, oh well "best laid plans".

                20180128_130002 (1).jpg

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                  Thanks--here is the data from the one I sold to Henry (which you have listed under my name in the spreadsheet):

                  623.0001.3 mvt # 9523 case #1165148 cal. Eta 2783 (Rado 2797 408)
                  Ok, thanks Brad, a bit of data to be updated now , I'll have to get a round to it, cause the square ones don't fit. This would be a good time for everyone to post any outstanding info for the existing spreadsheet and of course any new data, along with details such as , '0' case, half case, full case, flat crystal , square crystal etc. We might need to make a new thread to put the call out and contain the raw data....just a thought.
                  Last edited by Tim.; 01-29-2018, 05:49 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Tim,
                    It turns out I have a Diastar 2 with a 1969-dated AS movement:



                    Unfortunately, the caliber number is obscured. I assume it's an 1858, like Marcus's.
                    I'll try to collect the case data also, if you wish.

                    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                      Tim,
                      It turns out I have a Diastar 2 with a 1969-dated AS movement:



                      Unfortunately, the caliber number is obscured. I assume it's an 1858, like Marcus's.
                      I'll try to collect the case data also, if you wish.

                      Hi Brad, nice piece. I hadn't actually intended to include the other DS's as the task would be never ending. Originally the idea for it sprang up from the need to explain the difference between 1 and 1/E , also the 8 digit etc. To try and put some dates to the various changes. Dave mentioned that he was going to make some spreadsheets up that we could enter info into online (I think that's the idea anyway). That way we can all enter information into the database and edit it as necessary. It will need some thought as to how to categorise the various spreadsheets (by movement, model or both, searchable and cross-referenced etc). Interestingly the case number on this DS2 looks like 28498, which for Nov '69 would mean it's a totally different production run from the 0, 1, 1/E lineage, they all appear to have a consecutive run of numbers from the 0's on through. By Nov '69 DS 1 case numbers are up at around 175,000.
                      Last edited by Tim.; 02-09-2018, 02:54 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Just received a Diastar 1/E Chronometer...ETA 2782, movement code 008, no Rado caliber, and dig this:
                        The Chronometer number is 1839, the one immediately following Scott's!
                        more photos to follow.


                        As you can see, there is discoloration on the rotor, but and it has a fair amount of patina on the dial--some loss of printing and lacquer--but the bezel and crystal are quite good (would you expect anything less?) and I just regulated the movement to within about +/- 4 seconds per day.

                        Last edited by Watch Carefully; 02-25-2018, 04:44 PM.
                        Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                          Just received a Diastar 1/E Chronometer...ETA 2782, movement code 008, no Rado caliber, and dig this:
                          The Chronometer number is 1839, the one immediately following Scott's!
                          more photos to follow.


                          As you can see, there is discoloration on the rotor, but and it has a fair amount of patina on the dial--some loss of printing and lacquer--but the bezel and crystal are quite good (would you expect anything less?) and I just regulated the movement to within about +/- 4 seconds per day.

                          Hey Brad, what a coincidence!, can you dig up the case number? Should be 222,xxx looking at Scott's.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Tim. View Post
                            Hey Brad, what a coincidence!, can you dig up the case number? Should be 222,xxx looking at Scott's.
                            It is extremely faint, but in the right light it appears to be 196,148.
                            Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                              It is extremely faint, but in the right light it appears to be 196,148.
                              Thanks, clearly the movements weren't used in order, no doubt they came back from the COSC in a batch that was just used randomly. Either that or they cased up a COSC movement at the ratio of 1/25,000, which I doubt. Most likely both movements and cases were produced in large batches so the correlation between movement date and case number will never be precise, rather more of a general trend whereby a given set of case numbers won't occur before or after a certain date, impossible to know those dates without a much larger data set than we have access to. The spreadsheet has however thrown up a few watches that are clearly anomalous or outside of the general trend.
                              Last edited by Tim.; 02-26-2018, 04:12 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X