I had no idea.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had no idea.

I didn't know these came in a GP version? No prizes for guessing country of origin. Has anyone seen one of these before?

w.jpgp.jpg
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 07-07-2017, 10:34 AM.

Wow!
    I have no reason to suspect that this isn't genuine, even if we haven't seen one before, as everything looks 'right'.
    http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

I wonder if that isn't a frankenRado?

All the 'tentacle' dials I have ever seen were grey and that display back is not correct for that rotor. I also don't like the printing of the minute marks and shouldn't it have a faceted crystal?

However, the dial pattern around the crystal hour markers and the gold colour in the movement gives me pause... Is it possible that the incorrect display back was added later to a genuine GP version?
      Last edited by FSM71; 07-07-2017, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FSM71 View Post
        I wonder if that isn't a frankenRado?

All the 'tentacle' dials I have ever seen were grey and that display back is not correct for that rotor. I also don't like the printing of the minute marks and shouldn't it have a faceted crystal?

However, the dial pattern around the crystal hour markers and the gold colour in the movement gives me pause... Is it possible that the incorrect display back was added later to a genuine GP version?
        I agree about the back, it's missing the slotted disk that's under the glass on the grey one, but if you look closely the crystal is faceted. Also the hands appear to be GP versions identical in design to those on the grey version.
        Last edited by Tim.; 07-07-2017, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
          I agree about the back, it's missing the slotted disk that's under the glass on the grey one, but if you look closely the crystal is faceted. Also the hands appear to be GP versions identical in design to those on the grey version.
          Yes, I see the facets now that you mention it and this will certainly make the printing look off. Other than the display back I agree with Scott that the parts seem ok, even if I remain unconvinced by the sum of those parts.

So I stick with my original question: Is it possible that the incorrect display back was added later to a genuine GP version?

I think it's quite possible this was produced for a certain market and is not widely known but I think I prefer the 'original' (excuse the pun) grey dial version...

Comment

Yes, I see the facets now that you mention it and this will certainly make the printing look off. Other than the display back I agree with Scott that the parts seem ok, even if I remain unconvinced by the sum of those parts.

So I stick with my original question: Is it possible that the incorrect display back was added later to a genuine GP version?

I think it's quite possible this was produced for a certain market and is not widely known but I think I prefer the 'original' (excuse the pun) grey dial version...
            Another possibility:
            the original rear crystal with the darkened pattern was broken, and subsequently replaced with a standard one. This would explain everything else being correct.
            The piece looks familiar, but I would like to see a catalogue showing this version, to be sure.

Another thing that raises a question in my mind--the gold one has the NSA-style bracelet, while my LE and a non-LE I owned used the ca. 2002 solid-link steel bracelet also found on the 40th Anniversary Diastar chronometer. Accustars were kind of a small-batch specialty piece. I would not expect to see them on an NSA...but the gold-tone model and its markets are not well known to me.

For reference, here is a photo of the back and movement of my former LE Accustar:

Last edited by Watch Carefully; 07-09-2017, 09:56 AM.
            Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

I spotted that one for sale too and wondered about it. Ive been recently researching these Accustars a lot lately as I've got one arriving soon, its not a limited edition though. I might even post some pics of it as I'm excited about re-kindling my RADO collecting, I often read here but rarely post. Btw there is a good condition grey dial for sale on the Bay at the mo.
              Last edited by BKKJAY; 07-09-2017, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Ok just found another example that sold out of Romania in 2016, looks 100% legit to me, so I now think they're just quite rare.

$_57.jpg$_57-2.JPG$_57-3.jpg

Comment

Ok just found another example that sold out of Romania in 2016, looks 100% legit to me, so I now think they're just quite rare.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23577[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23576[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23575[/ATTACH]
                  I agree. Likely produced in the 100s, rather than 1000s.

Oddly, the Romanian one is on eBay today:
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Rado-Di...YAAOSwmtJXaGE1

FWIW, the steel ref. is 597.0435.3 and the gold is apparently 597.0436.3
                  Last edited by Watch Carefully; 07-11-2017, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                    I agree. Likely produced in the 100s, rather than 1000s.

Oddly, the Romanian one is on eBay today:
                    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Rado-Di...YAAOSwmtJXaGE1

FWIW, the steel ref. is 597.0435.3 and the gold is apparently 597.0436.3
                    That's weird, I found it via the Google image gallery and the eBay page said this auction has ended in 2016 and I've just found it again ending in June 2017, these are definitely the same set of photos ,so they're having some difficulty finding a buyer. I apologise, it's not my practice to post open auctions or if I do post photos from one, to not say where it's for sale, unless of course it's one of those outrageous Frankens we all get a kick out of and aren't likely to bid on.
                    Last edited by Tim.; 07-12-2017, 01:36 AM.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23577[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23576[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23575[/ATTACH]
                      Hi!

This one looks completely genuine to me, it has the correct back (4 notches) incl. the "mask" in compare to the other one,
                      which has an aftermarket diplay-back from Fareast with 6 notches (and the mask is missing).
                      Best regards, Mike
                      vintage-rado.de

Comment

That's weird, I found it via the Google image gallery and the eBay page said this auction has ended in 2016 and I've just found it again ending in June 2017, these are definitely the same set of photos ,so they're having some difficulty finding a buyer. I apologise, it's not my practice to post open auctions or if I do post photos from one, to not say where it's for sale, unless of course it's one of those outrageous Frankens we all get a kick out of and aren't likely to bid on.
                        Let me guess - you also got one of 'those' messages. There is nothing to apologize for - there are no forum rules against positing links to auctions, open, closed, or otherwise.

Comment

Let me guess - you also got one of 'those' messages. There is nothing to apologize for - there are no forum rules against positing links to auctions, open, closed, or otherwise.
                          No Frank, no message , it's a personal preference, rules or not I don't think it's the right thing to do. I'm quite happy to send someone a PM to alert them if I know they're looking for something in particular, there are too many punters looking on to post them here though. If you post them on the forum you're potentially costing fellow members money imho.
                          Last edited by Tim.; 07-12-2017, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike184 View Post
                            Hi!

This one looks completely genuine to me, it has the correct back (4 notches) incl. the "mask" in compare to the other one,
                            which has an aftermarket display-back from Fareast with 6 notches (and the mask is missing).
                            I agree, Mike.
                            For those who didn't notice, they are faint, but this one has Rado ref. # markings also.

Comment

Sadly I have received one of 'those' messages from Tim regarding my mention of the grey Accustar that was for sale on the Bay. I'm glad to see that other more senior members (Thanks FSM71) can confirm that posting about active auctions is not against forum rules. Doing so has positive benefits as it informs members, viewers interested in Rado of an opportunity to buy a related item that they may otherwise miss out on IMHO. The logic of 'don't tell anyone it puts the prices up' is contrary to the point of the forum which is to share information. If we followed this floored 'don't tell anyone' logic, sharing any information on this forum whatsoever would therefore put the price up for other members, because forum viewers (as I once was) are educated and enlightened of the virtues of Rado and consequently start bidding in auctions against existing members. I'm definitely guilty of this, so perhaps 'those' wanna be forum police sending 'those' messages would have us close the forum to protect the prices? LMAO!

Comment

Working...
                              X