Diastar 8/1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diastar 8/1

Recently aquired this diastar. It's back cover says it's an 8/1 with the earlier half case. Noticed it is different than any I've seen. The bezel has a sharper slope and has a very narrow flat area around the crystal? It's powered by an as1862/63, 1876 stamped under the balance. No reference number on the back, just a number 829017 which I believe is a case number. Anyone else have one or info?IMG_0216.jpg

It is always good to get a TC variant, congrats!
    https://www.instagram.com/the_rado_collector/

Comment

Hi!

Never seen.
      Here is my DS 8/1 with AS 1858 for compare:

DS 8_1 AS 1858.jpgDS 8_1 AS 1863.jpg

Different lenses and angle of view, but the differences are obvious.
      Should be an AS 1876 with common baseplate of the 1862/3.
      Best regards, Mike
      vintage-rado.de

Comment

That's what it is. It's in mint condition except for a chip in the crystal at 2:00!

Comment

It might be that this is one of the earliest examples Kevin. There is some evidence that Rado started date stamping some of the remaining AS movements around '69 after they switched to ETA in '68 so quite possibly pre '69. Maybe this is a prototype case that was only used briefly. Can we see some back and side shots?

Comment

Every DS8 or DS8/1 I have ever owned has had the wider rim around the crystal.
            http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
              It might be that this is one of the earliest examples Kevin. There is some evidence that Rado started date stamping some of the remaining AS movements around '69 after they switched to ETA in '68 so quite possibly pre '69. Maybe this is a prototype case that was only used briefly. Can we see some back and side shots?
              The AS 1858 was before the 1876.
              More probable is that itīs a Franken-DS with the wrong movement and back in/on a later case - as my DS 1 ("Zero") wirh ETA 2836-2.
              Or, even more probable, the TC-part of the case was destroyed and replaced by a younger one. The dent in the Sapphire-crystal at 2 speaks for that.
              We know that the parts of the DSs are highly interchangeable.

Originally posted by scottjc View Post
              Every DS8 or DS8/1 I have ever owned has had the wider rim around the crystal.
              Exactly. Never seen a DS 8 or 8/1 with this case.
              Best regards, Mike
              vintage-rado.de

Comment

Here are some side and back pics. Also comparison shot next to a couple chronometers with different width space around the crystal. You can see just how narrow this one is. I've got about 25 oval diastars and this is the only one I've seen like this?IMG_0220.jpgIMG_0221.jpgIMG_0222.jpgIMG_0226.jpg

Comment

Just look at the width of the rim (space around the crystal) of my Diastar Electrosonic. Looks a lot like your DS 8/1.
                  Electrosonic front.jpg
                  Peter

Comment

Next to my esonic. Big difference!IMG_0228.jpg sorry it's upside down.

Comment

Originally posted by jethrobodine View Post
                      Here are some side and back pics. Also comparison shot next to a couple chronometers with different width space around the crystal. You can see just how narrow this one is. I've got about 25 oval diastars and this is the only one I've seen like this?[ATTACH=CONFIG]23549[/ATTACH]
                      This photo gives some weight of evidence to what Mike said about the TC shield possibly being a replacement. It seems to line up with the sub case on the right but not on the left, as if it suits a larger crown.
                      Last edited by Tim.; 07-06-2017, 08:34 AM.

Comment

I think it's highly unlikely the tc has been replaced. The point of the post is that I've seen hundreds of diastars, but never one with a space this thin around the crystal. That's why I posted it to see if anyone else has seen another. It came from Asia and was said to have been in storage for a long period of time.

Comment

Working...
                        X