Homemade NSA clasp spring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade NSA clasp spring

We've all got NSA clasps with broken or weak springs. I decided to try to make my own. After taking apart an old spiedel band to see what makes it spring back after stretching, I found these flat spring bars inside each link. They are the same width of each link. Had to find a band with links narrow enough that that would fit inside the clasp on edge. Modified the bend just a bit and put two back to back inside the clasp. Inserted a shortened link pin on one side and the spring bar one the other side and snapped it together. Installed it in the slider and works like a charm. Did two of them and found you can make it stronger by the amount of bend you put on the sides of the little spring pieces, just don't bend too much as they will snap. Hard to photograph because of how small the pieces are but I'm surprised how well it works. Now just have to find old spiedel bands with links the right width.IMG_0210.jpgIMG_0212.jpgIMG_0207.jpg

Thanx!

Thatīs a brilliant idea - one of those being so simple that you ask yourself "why didnīt I have it?".
    I have some old German Fixoflex-bracelets and other brands and will look whatīs inside there.
    If that doesnīt work - just one old Speidel will repair a lot of NSA-closes and theyīre not very expensive.
    Best regards, Mike
    vintage-rado.de

Comment

Originally posted by mike184 View Post
      Thanx!

Thatīs a brilliant idea - one of those being so simple that you ask yourself "why didnīt I have it?".
      I have some old German Fixoflex-bracelets and other brands and will look whatīs inside there.
      If that doesnīt work - just one old Speidel will repair a lot of NSA-closes and theyīre not very expensive.
      Excellent...I've got loads of old Speidel-type bracelets that have accumulated over the years.
      If I have much surplus, I'll be glad to send out to those in need.
      Great idea!
      Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Great idea, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Great solution to a common problem, thanks for sharing.
          http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Great solution Kevin, for some time I've been using guitar strings to recreate something similar to the original but this looks much simpler, as you say just a matter of getting the right size links.

Comment

The spring pieces I used came from a band that had links measured from the bottom side of the band, 16.7mm long by 2mm wide. They can be a bit longer but not any wider or they won't fit in the clasp and allow it to close all the way causing it to bind in the slot and not slide freely. Bands with links this narrow aren't easy to find. Most spiedel bands have links that are too wide. Btw you just take apart the links like you're sizing the band , after removing the little staple looking keepers the spring piece can be pushed with a small screwdriver from one end until it comes out the other end far enough to get a grip on it with small side cutters and they just slide right out with ease. Tried using wider ones and trimming it down with my dremel but the heat generated made it lose its tension and wouldn't spring back.

Comment

Cheers for the info Kevin, I might do a tour of my local op shops as I sometimes see watches with spiedels in them. I'll bet sure and take my verniers now that I know the dimensions.

Comment

Three cheers for the inventor, what a super idea. Thanks for sharing. Peter

Comment

Hi Kevin, just wondering if you could show some more photos of where that part comes from. I received this Spiedel type band on a watch the other day and pulled it apart but as you can see it has a coil spring, is the part you're holding inside the cross piece on the back? or is this a different design altogether? I'm expecting an actual Siedel brand one on a watch that should be here next week so if you could post more photos I would appreciate it.

20170819_094134.jpg20170819_094704.jpg

Comment

It's the wrong kind of band. You take the band and bend the piece over like you do when you resize it. There are little staple looking pieces that you pull out. The flat spring piece is inside both the top and bottom piece. You have to slide it out by pushing it from one side till it sticks out far enough to get hold of it with small side cutters and pull the rest of the way out.IMG_0337.jpgIMG_0338.jpgIMG_0340.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jethrobodine View Post
                        It's the wrong kind of band. You take the band and bend the piece over like you do when you resize it. There are little staple looking pieces that you pull out. The flat spring piece is inside both the top and bottom piece. You have to slide it out by pushing it from one side till it sticks out far enough to get hold of it with small side cutters and pull the rest of the way out.
                        Thanks very much Kevin, hopefully the one I'm expecting next week will be the right type.

Comment

Working...
                        X