New arrival question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New arrival question?

Bought this on the bay. It's an as1716 with a two piece stem. Dial is approximately 26.5 mm. Runs well and looks very clean. Any ideas as to what case it came out of. Ranff dates it to 1964.IMG_0117.jpgIMG_0118.jpg

Originally posted by jethrobodine View Post
    Bought this on the bay. It's an as1716 with a two piece stem. Dial is approximately 26.5 mm. Runs well and looks very clean. Any ideas as to what case it came out of. Ranff dates it to 1964.[ATTACH=CONFIG]22805[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22806[/ATTACH]
    Wow, that is a real conundrum. If the split stem and the movement date (1964) are correct it predates the Manhattan but comes from a watch with a similarly encased movement. The dial has the markers in a round placement, however it could still have been a square or rectangular case, held together with 4 screws or a snap on case back. I note there is no Rado brand on the rotor, however that may not be unusual for this movement or the rotor may have been replaced at some point. Very interesting piece, I'm sure it'll cause lots of discussion. Hope you find an answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
      Wow, that is a real conundrum. If the split stem and the movement date (1964) are correct it predates the Manhattan but comes from a watch with a similarly encased movement. The dial has the markers in a round placement, however it could still have been a square or rectangular case, held together with 4 screws or a snap on case back. I note there is no Rado brand on the rotor, however that may not be unusual for this movement or the rotor may have been replaced at some point. Very interesting piece, I'm sure it'll cause lots of discussion. Hope you find an answer.
      That is very similar to the AS 1876 movement in the Diamaster 10, which is the only rotor I know that didn't have a Rado emblem. Perhaps we can assume that all members of that movement family had unmarked rotors.

Regarding the split stem...it's entirely possible that in the 50+ years since it was made, someone replaced the original stem with whatever they had available.

I cannot say for sure what case would have housed that movement, but the Spherematic had a 'front-loader' case, using an AS 1700, and perhaps others from around the mid-1960s were similarly constructed. Despite looking like a snap-on back, the movement was only accessible through the front bezel:

Last edited by Watch Carefully; 03-21-2017, 09:29 AM.
      Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Hi!

I agree with Brad. Monocoque-cases, which need split stems, have been used at Rado since late 1950s, thatīs right.
        The Spherematic is one of them, hereīs another one:

Also the Streamline and the "Extra Flat" models have this type of case:

I also own a Rado with a 14 kt gold monocoque case.
        I assume, your movement had been fixed in one of those - probably s.o. sold the gold case and kept the movement.
        New for me is an AS 1716 in a Rado, the first one I see.
        Last edited by mike184; 03-22-2017, 11:00 AM.
        Best regards, Mike
        vintage-rado.de

Comment

It seems I recall seeing a couple of Rado automatics with a similar dial over the past few months.

Comment

Working...
          X