OT You know it's really wet when....?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
    Fantastic photo. That's about 6-7 times larger than the crayfish (crawdads, we call 'em in some parts of the US) I would see in the creeks near my home as a kid.
    Not too appetizing when alive, but they sure are tasty when prepared right. I'd love to try some Yabbies down under!
    I have on the odd occasion seen grandaddy ones up to a foot long in the creek on a farm where we used to live.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodlands1 View Post
      Hey Brad, when I was a kid, I used to catch crawdads in an irrigation ditch where near I lived in New Mexico. I would tie a piece of bacon on a long string and drop it in the water. Just about every time you pulled the sring out of the water there was a crawdad that had the bacon and refused to let go.
      Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
      That's a cool story. Between the ages of 7 and 15 I spent a lot of my free time in a wooded area next to my house...probably 20-30 acres of trails, woods, a meadow and a decent creek, bounded on one side by RR tracks. You can imagine the various fun my friends and I had with that wonderland nearly all to ourselves. We would catch the occasional crawdad because we stumbled across it by accident. If I had known they would come for the taking just by using a bit of bacon, I might have endangered the entire population of that crick!

I presently live about 25 minutes from where I grew up. Last April Jill, our dog, and I took a stroll around the old place.
      Surprisingly (or perhaps not so much) I found a tree into which I had carved my initials. That must have been ca. 1979:

We crossed the creek several times, but I cannot recall seeing any crawdads that day.
      Hey you guys, nice trip down memory lane.

Comment

Wow....talking Crawfish Boil here in S.E. Texas. Typical store ad -

"Live Louisiana Crawfish Available Friday, Saturday and Sunday only! While supplies last! sold by the sack limit‑2 sacks per customer."

Legendary food in these parts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22797[/ATTACH]

My first thought was gumbo. My second- crawfish boil.
        Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
          I have on the odd occasion seen grandaddy ones up to a foot long in the creek on a farm where we used to live.
          Four months and change from now I will be spending some vacation time in Maine. I am now very much anticipating lobster dinners.
          Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
            That is lobster size. Wow.

Comment

Wow....talking Crawfish Boil here in S.E. Texas. Typical store ad -

"Live Louisiana Crawfish Available Friday, Saturday and Sunday only! While supplies last! sold by the sack limit‑2 sacks per customer."

Legendary food in these parts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22797[/ATTACH]
              I really want to eat that!!!
              https://www.instagram.com/the_rado_collector/

Comment

Working...
              X