Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The vacation turned into an interesting experiment.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The vacation turned into an interesting experiment.

As some of you may may know, I am beginning to consider a "retirement" watch. I use quotes because, health willing, my retirement will be pretty active. My search for a retirement watch has focused on an adventurers watch, and has anlged more towards a true adventure/field watch rather than a dive watch. For the recent warm vacation I took three watches, which for me is astonishing. The three all had 200 m water resistance, which will be a must, decent to good lume and screw down crowns. Two had dive bezels and two were pretty atractive. Here were my choices:

D-200, attractive dress diver with really good lume.The big downside is that it has a crappy finicky crown.

P4130008 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

One generation old KonTiki- great looking field watch with spectacular lume. Is there a downside to this watch? I haven't found it.

P4250169 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Orient Mforce Beast titanium. I won this watch in a scavenger hunt and decided to put it through it's paces. For an Orient, this watch is not particularly cheap, running around $800 CAD.

Beast by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

All three watches are 42mm or bigger, which is theoretically a bit bigger than I would like.

Every watch went through torrential downpours, went snorkelling on reefs and were subjected to sun and sand on the beach. I was concerned that 42 mm watches might get banged aroudn in the confines of a reef, but the D-200 and the KonTiki both came through with flying colours.

PC070366 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

PC090181 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

PC170216 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

The Beast is not the watch for me. The lume, while not bad, is too weak to be usable. I have always found the mineral glass to be "foggy" making the watch surprisingly difficult to read at a glance. This problem is even worse underwater. Last, but not least, it is 47mm, which on my 6 3/8" wrist is absurd. Also, I am not really a fan of dive watches. nIt failed to meet expectations in every category.

The D-200 is very easy to read underwater. The highly polished hands and markers against the brushed charcoal black dial are really easy to pick out and the lume shows up in shadow underwater. It remains comfortable for long periods underwater and the rubber strap holds it in snugly in place without pinching or pulling. As a dress diver, I was a bit surprised at how well it worked underwater. If one is serious about a bezel though, the D-200s remains better cosmetically than it does practically. I was pleasantly surprised by it's performance. I had intended it to be my resort dress watch, but it performed the daily tasks easily.

The KonTiki was brilliant. The creme dial and gold markers in the steel case show up readily in any situation. This watch may be even easier to read underwater than above it. The depth of the dial and the rose gold colour of the markers make time telling at a glance incredibly easy. The lume... it's a torch in the water. Out in the sun and on the beach the darkness of the rose gold keeps the easy read properties. Halfway through the trip I realised that I could have made the trip with only the KonTiki and not missed anything else. As soon as I got home I admit that I got a hankering for four more watches, so I am not yet ready to be a one watch guy. The four I missed were the Hyperchrome, the RGM 400, the Eterna Avant Garde and the Longines 1935. At least two of those will likely never leave my collection anyway and those are the Hyperchroime and the RGM. The trip really did throw into focus what I need to look for in my adventurers watch, and to my surpise, nwo might include a new KonTiki, depending what the current iteration looks like when I do retire.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; 12-23-2016, 12:10 PM.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Thanks Henry for this holiday watch review , plenty of food for thought. Sorry to hear that there are issues with the crown on the D200 as I've been looking to those, as maybe a good long term all rounder I might buy at some point in the future. Your review has given me pause for thought on that score. You won the Orient in a scavenger hunt and I doubt that you would have bought one otherwise. It seems the Eterna is a standout for looks and performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
      As some of you may may know, I am beginning to consider a "retirement" watch. I use quotes because, health willing, my retirement will be pretty active. My search for a retirement watch has focused on an adventurers watch, and has anlged more towards a true adventure/field watch rather than a dive watch. For the recent warm vacation I took three watches, which for me is astonishing. The three all had 200 m water resistance, which will be a must, decent to good lume and screw down crowns. Two had dive bezels and two were pretty atractive. Here were my choices:

D-200, attractive dress diver with really good lume.The big downside is that it has a crappy finicky crown.

P4130008 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

One generation old KonTiki- great looking field watch with spectacular lume. Is there a downside to this watch? I haven't found it.

P4250169 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Orient Mforce Beast titanium. I won this watch in a scavenger hunt and decided to put it through it's paces. For an Orient, this watch is not particularly cheap, running around $800 CAD.

Beast by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

All three watches are 42mm or bigger, which is theoretically a bit bigger than I would like.

Every watch went through torrential downpours, went snorkelling on reefs and were subjected to sun and sand on the beach. I was concerned that 42 mm watches might get banged aroudn in the confines of a reef, but the D-200 and the KonTiki both came through with flying colours.

PC070366 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

PC090181 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

PC170216 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

The Beast is not the watch for me. The lume, while not bad, is too weak to be usable. I have always found the mineral glass to be "foggy" making the watch surprisingly difficult to read at a glance. This problem is even worse underwater. Last, but not least, it is 47mm, which on my 6 3/8" wrist is absurd. Also, I am not really a fan of dive watches. nIt failed to meet expectations in every category.

The D-200 is very easy to read underwater. The highly polished hands and markers against the brushed charcoal black dial are really easy to pick out and the lume shows up in shadow underwater. It remains comfortable for long periods underwater and the rubber strap holds it in snugly in place without pinching or pulling. As a dress diver, I was a bit surprised at how well it worked underwater. If one is serious about a bezel though, the D-200s remains better cosmetically than it does practically. I was pleasantly surprised by it's performance. I had intended it to be my resort dress watch, but it performed the daily tasks easily.

The KonTiki was brilliant. The creme dial and gold markers in the steel case show up readily in any situation. This watch may be even easier to read underwater than above it. The depth of the dial and the rose gold colour of the markers make time telling at a glance incredibly easy. The lume... it's a torch in the water. Out in the sun and on the beach the darkness of the rose gold keeps the easy read properties. Halfway through the trip I realised that I could have made the trip with only the KonTiki and not missed anything else. As soon as I got home I admit that I got a hankering for four more watches, so I am not yet ready to be a one watch guy. The four I missed were the Hyperchrome, the RGM 400, the Eterna Avant Garde and the Longines 1935. At least two of those will likely never leave my collection anyway and those are the Hyperchroime and the RGM. The trip really did throw into focus what I need to look for in my adventurers watch, and to my surpise, nwo might include a new KonTiki, depending what the current iteration looks like when I do retire.
      One watch guy??? When I read that I about fell out of my chair.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
        Thanks Henry for this holiday watch review , plenty of food for thought. Sorry to hear that there are issues with the crown on the D200 as I've been looking to those, as maybe a good long term all rounder I might buy at some point in the future. Your review has given me pause for thought on that score. You won the Orient in a scavenger hunt and I doubt that you would have bought one otherwise. It seems the Eterna is a standout for looks and performance.
        You are correct about the Orient. I would not buy one myself. Since I was gifted the watch, I will jeep it for another year or so and then I will gift it on to someone else.

Don't let the crown keep you from getting a D200. It is getting better as I wear the watch and the rest of the watch is so nice.

That particular version of the KonTiki is such a great durable watch.
        Last edited by Henry Krinkle; 12-23-2016, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodlands1 View Post
          One watch guy??? When I read that I about fell out of my chair.
          Yeah, that will never really happen, but I could almost see myself with a half dozen or so, sometime in the future.

Comment

Hank, a retirement watch option for you...available in black or blue dial, straps r bracelet I'm told:

https://en.yema.com/products/yema-su...tage-ysup2018a

https://conteenium.com/product/yema-...mhf1550a-gs11/

ymhf1550a-gs11-3-555x741.jpg

Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

I had seen that Yema re-issued this and I do like that in practical terms it is under 42 mm. I am currently leaning towards something more spendy, as it will be the non-retirement retirement watch. After the D-200 I won't automatically rule out an external bezel, but that is still pretty far down the list. A no bezel adventure watch or an internal bezel like the Longines Legend or JLC Polaris are preferable. I am sort of leaning towards a custom RGM, even if it is as simple as finding out if they can make a 151 without a date and at least 100m WR, or even an Explorer 1. Cheaper options include another KonTiki, if I like the current iteration, or one of numerous Tudors. Fuzzy has kind of steered me away from the Tudors. He says I may be a little underwhelmed by them. In his words " No matter what anyone says, they are not a Rolex." And he has numerous Tudors and a Rollie. I gathered they are closer to Eterna in quality than they are to Rolex.

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
              Hank, a retirement watch option for you...available in black or blue dial, straps r bracelet I'm told:

https://en.yema.com/products/yema-su...tage-ysup2018a

https://conteenium.com/product/yema-...mhf1550a-gs11/

ymhf1550a-gs11-3-555x741.jpg

Comment

Another Retirement option for you Henry...

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...50#msg_7573380

I realize it's got both an external bezel and a date window, so may not suit you. But I like this line! They are the best designs I've seen from UN in twenty years, IMO.

undiver42c.jpg
                Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                  Another Retirement option for you Henry...

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...50#msg_7573380

I realize it's got both an external bezel and a date window, so may not suit you. But I like this line! They are the best designs I've seen from UN in twenty years, IMO.

undiver42c.jpg
                  I like that a lot more than the Yema. With the way Rolex is currently acting with their steel models, I am thinking more and more that maybe I need to see what RGM could do about a 200m WR version of this without a date.

2015_151_03.jpg

Comment

Hi Henry, looks like you may have to build your watch like my SM300. But for a non-retirement retirement watch I'd go the whole hog with a new Rolex. The Milgauss and Explorer seems up your alley. Prob too large for me but seems to be in your size range,

I've worn my Date Justs from the 1970s and they've served me faithfully all around the world in my travels. These are the vintage 36mm watches. Never had the chance to use them as knuckle dusters though, although I did lose a Rolex Royal when I got mugged in Trinidad.
                    I'm so sick and tired of my friends who can't handle their alcohol. The other night they dropped me three times while carrying me to the car

Comment

Originally posted by hongit View Post
                      Hi Henry, looks like you may have to build your watch like my SM300. But for a non-retirement retirement watch I'd go the whole hog with a new Rolex. The Milgauss and Explorer seems up your alley. Prob too large for me but seems to be in your size range,

I've worn my Date Justs from the 1970s and they've served me faithfully all around the world in my travels. These are the vintage 36mm watches. Never had the chance to use them as knuckle dusters though, although I did lose a Rolex Royal when I got mugged in Trinidad.
                      The new size does suit me very well. A 39mm watch without a huge crystal is my sweet spot.

The current iteration of the Explorer 1 with the lumed romans is my number 1 choice. It will almost certainly be the watch I end up with. All of this is really mostly trying,unsuccessfully, to talk myself out of it. Endorsements by people like you, FuzzyB and Frank have only served to firm up my belief that the Explorer is the watch for me.

I hadn't actually considered the Milgauss, but that would address my dislike of the mercedes hand.
                      Last edited by Henry Krinkle; 11-30-2018, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Milgauss black dial is a rock solid option. I just wish they would give these a bit more juice in the WR dept. 200m would be perfect.

Comment

Working...
                        X